Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Toggle switches

Post Thanks / Like

Toggle switches

What's the deal with the switch that has the 6 tiny little posts on the back? I can't figure it out. I'm having a time with the switches
    Mk4 # 8834 delivered 03/20/16 2015 IRS wildwood brake upgrade, 18"x9" front 18"X11" rear halibrand wheels, 390 FE, tko600

Post Thanks / Like
    Without benefit of a part number or photo my guess is your talking about a 3 position toggle switch ...

The three position switch is a bit confusing ... at least for me it was.

The bottom position is "off"

The middle position is "on" or say in the case of the windshield wiper motor it would be low speed

The top position is on or in the case of the windshield wiper motor it would be high speed

Not all terminals are used to make it a 3 way

Terminal 4 is positive
    Terminal 6 and 8 are power from the switch to the load.

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It's used for the Hazard Lights if it is the smaller switch that matches the look of the other toggles.
    The wiper toggle is a larger switch with larger terminals.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-26-2016 at 09:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    For reference to Lucas switches including wiring diagrams I have found that Holdens in UK is a good reference:

http://www.holden.co.uk/default.asp
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, so now I'm blowing fuses, what terminal do I hook the RF wiring pink hazard flasher to? The diagram is kind of confusing. I can see on the turn signal switch where the gray wire goes on one of the center posts on the switch. But it looks like the pink wire goes on the end on the hazard switch.
    Mk4 # 8834 delivered 03/20/16 2015 IRS wildwood brake upgrade, 18"x9" front 18"X11" rear halibrand wheels, 390 FE, tko600

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Great question and very timely for me. Everytime I attempt to tackle the wiring, I scratch my head on this one. First, the RF flasher wire, pink in color and labeled, has a very small female connector, the only small connector in the harness. Second, provided was a 2 position toggle marked on and on. However, the toggle contains 6 small male connectors that match the pink flasher wire. Talk about confusing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff Kleiner posted this on the other forum in a Dash Layout thread. Hope he doesn't mind my copy and paste job.

From the left:

ON/OFF/ON is turn signal--- Land the gray "turn flasher feed" wire to the center terminal Join the yellow ""left rear turn" and the green "left front turn" wires together along with 3 extra pigtails (we'll get to what to do with them in a minute). Join the light blue "right front turn" and the white "right rear turn" wires together and include 3 pigtails with them as well. One pigtail from the yellow and green set goes to one of the outer terminals of the switch, another will go to the left turn dash indicator and the third one will go to the hazard flasher switch (again, we'll get there in a minute). Do the same with the blue and white wire set---one of the pigtails goes to the other terminal of the switch, one goes to the right turn dash indicator and the third will go to the hazard switch. After this you're done with the turn signal switch. To make the dash indicators work you'll connect the respective pigtail to one terminal of the lamp and connect the other terminal to ground.

ON/OFF switches are used for accessories like the heater blower or cooling fan---power goes to the center terminal and the feed for the accessory goes to the other.

ON/ON switch is for High/Low beam toggle. Since you're using a foot switch it doesn't apply.

ON/OFF/ON gets a little screwy... This is a DPDT (double pole double throw) switch that gets used for the flashers. It really should be a DPST (double pole single throw) ON/OFF switch. They have been providing this same switch for years and the only reason I can come up with is because a DPST is not available in this style but it will work. Take the pink "hazard flasher" feed wire and connect it to BOTH center terminals of the switch. Connect the pigtail from your yellow/green pair to one of the outside terminals. Connect the pigtail from your blue/white pair to the other terminal on the SAME end of the switch. This leaves the two terminals on the other end of the switch unused. The switch will have 2 OFF positions (because there is nothing connected to the other set of terminals) and 1 ON position. If you wanted it to have 2 ON positions you could run a jumper from the terminal with the green/yellow to the open terminal on the same side of the other end and do likewise with the blue/white. In that case the center switch position would be off and flipping the switch either direction would turn on the hazard flashers.
    Looking at the back of the switch it will be like this:

OPEN--------OPEN
    PINK---------PINK
    Y & G--------B & W

OR

Y & G--------B & W
    PINK---------PINK
    Y & G--------B & W

Told you it was screwy but trust me, it will work.

Hope that helps you some Al You know how to reach me if you need to...

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I have worked out all the bugs.... The hardest part of the whole build for me is the wiring. I have turn signals brakes and hazards. And two 12v acc sockets. It was a good day!