Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil not getting to driver side head

Post Thanks / Like

Oil not getting to driver side head

So original stock 302, changed gaskets and oil pump. Passenger side getting oil, driver side not ? Thoughts ?

Post Thanks / Like
    First thought is a popped oil galley plug. Behind the timing cover. Either that or a blockage.

Post Thanks / Like
    while running or cranking?

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    IS this a "used engine or a rebuild? I agree about the galley plug but I thought that the drivers head side gets it oil last and from the rear of the engine but I could be wrong, hell my wife tells me Im always wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by first time builder View Post
    IS this a "used engine or a rebuild? I agree about the galley plug but I thought that the drivers head side gets it oil last and from the rear of the engine but I could be wrong, hell my wife tells me Im always wrong.

Same here, yes dear your right! Always Its a used engine, when I first started pulled off valve cover after a few min run there was oil on passenger side . None on driver. Just now after a few short runs, both driver side bone dry, passenger some oil. Put the drill on pump and no oil coming up anywhere. Think I may pull the oil pump and ck it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pulled oil filter for hahas and all milky white oil! Could that be the galley plug not being installed ?

Post Thanks / Like
    White milky oil=water/coolant

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    White milky oil=water/coolant

Jeff
    That's what I thought, great so never had this happen before what's the first step in looking for culprit? I was thinking of pulling heads and looking at the gaskets

Post Thanks / Like
    The head gaskets are #1 usual cause of milky oil but...could it cause a total lack of oil to one head? I don't know but hopefully someone else does. I just don't want you to pull heads etc and still have no oil to one head.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm wondering if you got the wrong gaskets for the engine, mis-packaged or whatever? Holes in all the wrong places?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    I'm wondering if you got the wrong gaskets for the engine, mis-packaged or whatever? Holes in all the wrong places?
    They seemed to line up fine going to pull intake tonight

Post Thanks / Like
    The oil for the head comes up the pushrods from the lifters. Oil galleries feed oil to the lifter bosses in the block. The wrong head gaskets won't stop the oil coming up but may prevent it draining back down through the block. Head gaskets, cracked heads, intake manifold gaskets and timing cover gasket are the usual suspects for water in the oil. I supposed a cracked block could do it too but that would present other symptoms.

I would pull the timing cover first. Check the oil gallery plugs and the gasket area around the water pump ports into the block.

Good Luck

Norm

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Norm will do that

Post Thanks / Like
    Before pulling anything apart pressure test the system to see if you can isolate where the coolant is escaping.

Jeff

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    If there is a blown head gasket and its turning the oil milky maybe the oil pump is making foam and not pushing it thru the engine oil line properly.

Just a guess !!

Kenny

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff is correct. Pressure test first. Maybe, as Kenny suggested, the coolant leak is the original problem. Oil and water mixed becomes very thick (like margarine) and won't flow into the pick up for the oil pump. Don't run the engine again until this problem is fixed and the oil is replaced. The bearings could be seriously damaged.

Norm

Post Thanks / Like
    All great suggestions guys, will start with pressure test, maybe Advanced loans one. Will keep you all updated

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Before pulling anything apart pressure test the system to see if you can isolate where the coolant is escaping.Jeff
    Presume you mean with a coolant system pressure tester?
    I can understand seeing the gauge drop from pressure leaking somewhere in the coolant system, so you know there's an issue, but how could you isolate where it's leaking, say it's a head gasket, cracked block/head type scenerio? Wouldn't that only work if it was an external leak, IE water pump seal/gasket, coolant hose, or radiator type of thing?

Post Thanks / Like
    So pressure test showed nothing much looked to hold pressure so next step ? Also, when I ran the oil pump with filter removed all white milky oil came out of filter housing

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    cooling system pressure test might not show up a leaking head gasket or worse a crack. With that milky oil I think you have to start a tear down.

Kenny

Post Thanks / Like
    cooling system pressure test might not show up a leaking head gasket or worse a crack. With that milky oil I think you have to start a tear down.

Kenny
    Agreed, I have seen head gaskets cause oil leak into coolant, coolant into oil, leak only when hot, leak as the engine cools, coolant into combustion chamber. When you remove the head try your best to preserve the gasket so you can look for damage. Good luck. And don't forget, you seem to have two separate problems so there may be two causes.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the oil is that bad I would do a complete tear down and cleaning, That milky stuff tends to "hide" in all the small spots inside the engine and come back to bite you later.
    Seen it happen a few times even after a flush. And don't forget to check radiator for oil contamination.
    Kenny

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, so update:

Drained coolant - green
    Drained oil - green then beige colored oil
    Removed pan and timing cover, I can not see a galley plug behind the cover?
    Intake tomorrow

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did you check behind the cam gear?

Post Thanks / Like
    These plugs

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JNC; 09-17-2016 at 09:17 AM. Reason: pic testing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bil1024 View Post
    Ok, so update:

Drained coolant - green
    Drained oil - green then beige colored oil
    Removed pan and timing cover, I can not see a galley plug behind the cover?
    Intake tomorrow
    You've seen enough. Antifreeze in the pan means that since you've run it and circulated it throughout it really should come totally apart--- #1) to find the source #2) because antifreeze will wipe out main and rod bearings in about the amount of time it takes to snap your fingers. A missing galley plug will result in virtually no oil pressure. Sorry...

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JNC View Post
    These plugs

Galley_Plugs.JPG
    Yep those plugs are there

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jeff Kleiner;250967]You've seen enough. Antifreeze in the pan means that since you've run it and circulated it throughout it really should come totally apart--- #1) to find the source #2) because antifreeze will wipe out main and rod bearings in about the amount of time it takes to snap your fingers. A missing galley plug will result in virtually no oil pressure. Sorry...

Jeff

Yeah getting that feeling

Post Thanks / Like
    So removed intake, pic from valley, wonder if coolant leaked under the gasket then drained into the pan ? Removing heads next

DSC02055.JPG

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    if intake wasn't drained completely, some anti freeze can wind up in lifter galley when you remove manifold. But look for signs of leaking past gasket.
    Kenny

Post Thanks / Like
    You are looking at a complete tear down. The grey oil coolant mix coming out the top of the lifter in your picture means the engine is fully contaminated with the stuff.

Good Luck

Norm

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you found green anti freeze in the oil pan before you removed intake or timming cover , you have a BIG leak.
    Kenny

Post Thanks / Like

X2

As usual, I totally agree with Jeff. Time for a complete tear down of this block. No getting around that fact. ANY water (w/ antifreeze) in the oiling system and it's contaminated throughout. You can't just flush it with an oil change or two.
    Water and antifreeze do not make for a good lubricant and will wipe out main and rod bearings in the blink of an eye.
    Tear this engine down, look for obvious breaches in your gasket surfaces. SBF intake manifolds are notorious for improper installation and a major source of "water in the oil" condition, more so then head gaskets.
    Good luck . . . keep us informed along the way during your rebuild.

Doc
    Last edited by Big Blocker; 09-18-2016 at 10:22 AM.
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    As many above have suggested, you really need to do a complete tear-down, complete cleaning, and inspection. The contamination will be in every area of the engine and you should plan to remove all oil gallery plugs and use a rifle cleaning kit to scrub these areas. If this is a low mileage or new engine and you plan to reuse wear items then the inspection should include checking bearing clearances. If reusing the cam and lifters you’ll want to ensure the lifters go back into the same position. Same with rod and main bearings. If this is a donor now is a good time to overhaul it as the amount of work you’re going to be doing is about the same as an overhaul.

Post Thanks / Like
    Removed head and water in the pistons, also saw a little damage on intake gasket near coolant port, not sure if that caused itDSC02056.JPGDSC02057.JPGDSC02058.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure curious about your test results after seeing those pics...

Quote Originally Posted by bil1024 View Post
    So pressure test showed nothing much looked to hold pressure so next step ? Also, when I ran the oil pump with filter removed all white milky oil came out of filter housing
    2010 FFR Mk4 - 306 EFI, T5Z mid-shift, IRS 3:31 Truetrac, 15" staggered wheels, manual steering & brakes and heated seats

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    I see blue rtv on intake rear surface , thats not factory so engine has at least had Intake off at one point. The antifreeze on the piston now is from removing the head. If there was antifreeze leaking into a clyinder that piston would be cleaner than the rest. The photo of the intake port is blurry and cant see anything. The good news is its now much lighter to pull it out of the car. You have to make a decision to rebuild this or go for another engine.
    Kenny

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JNC View Post
    I'm sure curious about your test results after seeing those pics...
    Test showed no leakage that's what's gotten me scratching my head

Post Thanks / Like
    I see blue rtv on intake rear surface , thats not factory so engine has at least had Intake off at one point. The antifreeze on the piston now is from removing the head. If there was antifreeze leaking into a clyinder that piston would be cleaner than the rest. The photo of the intake port is blurry and cant see anything. The good news is its now much lighter to pull it out of the car. You have to make a decision to rebuild this or go for another engine.
    Kenny
    Yep another pickle ! Thinking of picking up a 302 that's local and run ok and throw it in for now while I determine what happened. As soon as I pulled the head up a tad water come pouring out from the front end

Post Thanks / Like
    You fully drained the cooling system before disassembly and there's still that much coolant in the block? Somethings not quite right there. Was the drain on the block plugged?
    If the block wasn't fully drained then I wouldn't make any assumptions based on the coolant in the cylinders or valley as it could have easily got there during the tear down. Very carefully inspect the head and intake gaskets.

Norm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast