Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: FiTech/RF wiring question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just wanted to follow up on this thread incase someone comes along seeking the same "how to wire" up the Fitech. I just want to say what is stated above, will not work. My pain is your gain on this one

To clarify what is being wired is a FiTech 600hp using no external ignition box and a Pertronix two wire ready to run dizzy to a MSD blaster coil. First off, purple coil wire runs to your + post on the coil, not the negative. The Orange Coil/EFI wire from the Ron Francis Harness runs to the white FiTech wire AND your coil positive post. The EFI Crank PWR (Lt. Blue wire/RF Harness) is for timing retard, which in my setup is not used.

To sum this up and simplify, the FiTech white wire needs a constant 12v during Key-On and Cranking and that's exactly what the COIL/EFI does. I had wired the white FiTech wire to the Lt. Blue EFI Crank wire and what you will end up getting is no power to the FiTech pump wire. Another side symptom seen is the FiTech controller could not recognize the ECU.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RickP View Post
    I just wanted to follow up on this thread incase someone comes along seeking the same "how to wire" up the Fitech. I just want to say what is stated above, will not work. My pain is your gain on this one

To clarify what is being wired is a FiTech 600hp using no external ignition box and a Pertronix two wire ready to run dizzy to a MSD blaster coil. First off, purple coil wire runs to your + post on the coil, not the negative. The Orange Coil/EFI wire from the Ron Francis Harness runs to the white FiTech wire AND your coil positive post. The EFI Crank PWR (Lt. Blue wire/RF Harness) is for timing retard, which in my setup is not used.
    Resurrecting an old thread

Hey RickP

Reading through this thread again, I want to make sure I understand the final wiring you came up with:

Purple coil wire runs to your + post on the coil
    The RF Harness Orange Coil/EFI Wire connects to the FiTech White Wire AND the + post on the coil.
    The RF Lt. Blue wire is for the timing
    Gray and green go to your speed sensor on you transmission for the speedo to read MPH. If you have GPS speedo not needed.
    Purple in engine compartment goes to -side of coil
    Purple in dash goes to tach

Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    DadofThree and RickP,

After coming across this thread, I too am wondering about this EFI/Ready to Run dizzy wiring now. I have a Ready to Run MSD distributor with MSD blaster coil and the same FiTech 30002 EFI. I just finished the wiring for the car and I am about to install the engine/tranny. It is wired as described below, but perhaps incorrectly now?? Perhaps a call to FiTech to find out their thoughts is needed if I don’t hear back from you.

RF side
    RF EFI bundle:
    Orange wire “Coil or EFI” to positive side of coil. (RF manual does state this is key on – Run power)
    Lt Blue wire “EFI crank” - not used
    Gray wire “Speed sensor” - not used
    Green wire “Speed sensor” - not used
    RF Sending unit bundle:
    Purple wire “Coil/Tach” to negative side of coil and other end to Tach gauge, but you are running it to the positive side?

FiTech side:
    White wire “Keyed” to Ignition switch “Ignition” post (Not sure what the difference is between locating it here versus connecting it to the orange “Coil or EFI” wire?) Don’t they both get powered when the key is in both the "on" and "crank" position??
    Black wire “Coil” - not used in my situation: non-timing controlled.)
    Blue wire “Tach” to gray “tach” wire from MSD distributor (According to MSD manual, this produces a clean 12V, square wave pulse good for tachs and “some” EFI systems). Perhaps I should use the MSD "gray" wire for the tach gauge instead by running the RF purple wire “Coil or EFI” to this instead?? (I don't understand, why the RF purple wire to the + side of the coil)??
    Red wire “Batt” to battery power
    Orange wire “Pump” to RF fuel pump relay
    Yellow wire “Fan1” to RF Radiator fan relay

Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Last edited by dnew; 02-06-2017 at 11:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dnew View Post
    DadofThree and RickP,

After coming across this thread, I too am wondering about this EFI/Ready to Run dizzy wiring now. I have a Ready to Run MSD distributor with MSD blaster coil and the same FiTech 30002 EFI. I just finished the wiring for the car and I am about to install the engine/tranny. It is wired as described below, but perhaps incorrectly now?? Perhaps a call to FiTech to find out their thoughts is needed if I don’t hear back from you.

RF side
    RF EFI bundle:
    Orange wire “Coil or EFI” to positive side of coil. (RF manual does state this is key on – Run power)
    Lt Blue wire “EFI crank” - not used
    Gray wire “Speed sensor” - not used
    Green wire “Speed sensor” - not used
    RF Sending unit bundle:
    Purple wire “Coil/Tach” to negative side of coil and other end to Tach gauge

FiTech side:
    White wire “Keyed” to Ignition switch “Ignition” post (Not sure what the difference is between locating it here versus connecting it to the orange “Coil or EFI” wire?) Don’t they both get powered when the key is in the “on” position??
    Black wire “Coil” - not used
    Blue wire “Tach” to gray “tach” wire from MSD distributor (According to MSD manual, this produces a clean 12V, square wave pulse good for tachs and “some” EFI systems). Perhaps I should use it for the tach gauge instead by running the RF purple wire “Coil or EFI” to this instead?? and then run the RF purple wire to the positive side of the coil does the other side attach to your tach or (this I don't understand, how are you feeding your Tach gauge)??
    Red wire “Batt” to battery power
    Orange wire “Pump” to RF fuel pump relay
    Yellow wire “Fan1” to RF Radiator fan relay

Any thoughts or suggestions?
    I can't vouch for a Ready to Run MSD distributor (the kind with the TFI module on the front, if that's what your referring to) but to answer your question about:

Blue wire “Tach” to gray “tach” wire from MSD distributor (According to MSD manual, this produces a clean 12V, square wave pulse good for tachs and “some” EFI systems). Perhaps I should use it for the tach gauge instead by running the RF purple wire “Coil or EFI” to this instead?? and then run the RF purple wire to the positive side of the coil does the other side attach to your tach or (this I don't understand, how are you feeding your Tach gauge)??

There is a purple wire in your dash harness labeled "tach" which goes to the back of your tachometer. The Fi tech blue wire labeled "tach" goes to the negative side of your coil assuming your not using timing control.

White wire “Keyed” to Ignition switch “Ignition” post (Not sure what the difference is between locating it here versus connecting it to the orange “Coil or EFI” wire?) Don’t they both get powered when the key is in the “on” position??

The Orange wire gets power after the lt. blue wire labeled (Crank Power). You want constant power applied to the white wire during "cranking", after that, no power is needed to the white wire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DadofThree View Post
    Resurrecting an old thread

Hey RickP

Reading through this thread again, I want to make sure I understand the final wiring you came up with:

Purple coil wire runs to your + post on the coil - Correct
    The RF Harness Orange Coil/EFI Wire connects to the FiTech White Wire AND the + post on the coil. (orange runs to + side of coil, blue wire goes to efi white )
    The RF Lt. Blue wire is for the timing
    Gray and green go to your speed sensor on you transmission for the speedo to read MPH. If you have GPS speedo not needed. - correct
    Purple in engine compartment goes to -side of coil - correct
    Purple in dash goes to tach - correct

Thanks,
    Dave
    Not sure what gauges your running but if you have the Auto Meter gauges, the speedo gets a little funky if your speed sensor is a two wire. Can't remember which wire it is but you will need to send it to ground