BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Project 818 Design Contest Winners

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluewinters21 View Post
    I can’t stress this enough… There are good 3D packages that are FREE!!! I have mentioned this before. My submission (even thought I came nowhere near close to winning) was done on an old free 3D software sweet. Here is a shot from Blender. It’s open source and free. And that’s one of MANY. Do a Google search for free 3D packages. Look at Wiki perhaps. But please stop complaining about farness when all you have to do is put forth a little effort and you will be on the same playing field as everyone else!
    Attachment 2282
    yeah, yeah, I know I have tried Blender, didn't like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VTX View Post
    Now your changing your story. I understand perfectly what 3D perspective is. I use Solidworks every day for a living.
    Happy for you, can you draw something by hand (old school) or are you totally depend of software, and I don't think you do know what a 3D perspective is. And no I am not changing my story, you are. enough already!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    aw, come on guys, play nice. Go have a beer or something. Always makes me a happier baron!

Post Thanks / Like
    The picture at the top sure looks like a drawing to me and not a 3D render. I use Solidworks for a living, so I am well aware of what 3D perspective is.
    Everyone is referring to these pics. http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...818-Submission
    Last edited by Bluewinters21; 06-11-2011 at 08:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone is referring to these pics. http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...818-Submission
    Huh, I just get a 404 error.

Post Thanks / Like
    Huh, I just get a 404 error.
    Sorry, my bad. Try again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, my bad. Try again.
    Ok, I see it now. I had no idea we were talking about these. I guess when the first post says 1st place winner with a drawing underneath it I thought it was safe to assume that's what we were talking about.

Post Thanks / Like

Make it more like this...

Looks to me like a roadster version of the Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale. If you can massage the final version to look more like this then you have a winner.
    I'm waiting to see how the prototype turns out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by speedboy View Post
    wow, i wish they had put the 3d rendered versions instead of the sketches those look amazing

Post Thanks / Like

Just my $.02

I for one, cannot wait to see the final design from FFR! There were some AMAZING designs brought in, and some very tough choices that have to be made! I think everyone that contributed has done an terrific job, and is to be congratulated. I feel certain that we will see many different designs utilized by FFR to create the final product. I have great confidence that the final product will be one hell of a car, and I hope I will be able to figure out how to get myself one! My gut tells me it will simply be a thing of beauty. Good luck FFR making the final design choices, and integrating them into a coherent and functional piece of hardware!

I know there are some folks that are picking at things, which of course is OK. I just feel like FFR is going to make some tough, but good choices as they finish the details of this new design. I also feel like they got some great inspiration from the myriad designs that came in. Great work to all, and good luck putting the finishing touches in this project. I will watch anxiously!

Damn, I can't wait to see it ready to roll! Good luck you all, and I know it is going to be a work of art.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    I for one, cannot wait to see the final design from FFR! There were some AMAZING designs brought in, and some very tough choices that have to be made! I think everyone that contributed has done an terrific job, and is to be congratulated. I feel certain that we will see many different designs utilized by FFR to create the final product. I have great confidence that the final product will be one hell of a car, and I hope I will be able to figure out how to get myself one! My gut tells me it will simply be a thing of beauty. Good luck FFR making the final design choices, and integrating them into a coherent and functional piece of hardware!

I know there are some folks that are picking at things, which of course is OK. I just feel like FFR is going to make some tough, but good choices as they finish the details of this new design. I also feel like they got some great inspiration from the myriad designs that came in. Great work to all, and good luck putting the finishing touches in this project. I will watch anxiously!

Damn, I can't wait to see it ready to roll! Good luck you all, and I know it is going to be a work of art.

Regards,

Steve
    Right. Contest winners not= 818.

If you don't like the contest winners, not to fret. The 818 is not going to just be one of the winners verbatim. Whatever FFR does, I'm also confident it will be great (and they are apparently doing 3 bodies, so chances are you'll like one of 'em).

Post Thanks / Like

Not what I expected.

I don't know. I really thought that when the winner was announced I would start drooling and selling my children so I could afford it by the time the car comes out.
    If I manage to build a car I will only have one shot at it. The first place car is well done, nice and refined but I think it looks like a Toyota Solara with a side inlet added. If I am going to put my heart, sweat and hard earned money into building a car I want it to be as incredible as possible.
    I am still hoping they have some surprises up there sleeves before they reveal the final car. For now I think I would rather build a FF 427(There have been 1000's built but it still says WOW going down the street) or a Sterling Roadster or ??? whatever kits you can still get now that the economy has made a mess out of the kitcar industry.
    I suppose the 818 could be the next Bradley GT or a big miss.
    The result is so anti-climatic that I almost feel sad.
    For anyone wondering I didn't think my design would even get mentioned unless I submitted on a week with weak entrants, so that isn't why I am sad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vman7 View Post
    If you don't like my opinion, that's your problem, not mine, it's just an opinion.

Just because somebody is a pro, doesn't mean there design is any good.
    Dude, chill. You're coming off sounding somewhat like a sore loser.

Furthermore, I never stated I didn't like your opinion. You need to remember that this was an open design competition and, therefore, I would expect professional designers to be involved.

Reread what I wrote, I think you'll see that it wasn't meant derogatory towards you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeerbaron View Post
    aw, come on guys, play nice. Go have a beer or something. Always makes me a happier baron!
    Just finished a Founder's Double Trouble....pretty darn good.
    Last edited by keys2heaven; 06-11-2011 at 10:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everybody for your kind words on my design, and of course thanks a lot to Factory Five for this great contest, it has been really nice. I really didn´t expect to be third, knowing there were over 700 submissions... but it has been a great new! now I will, as all of you, anxiously wait to see how this ends and hope the car looks great in the end, no matter what design they base it on, although I would love to see my design applied someway, that would be the greatest news of all!!

Xabier

Post Thanks / Like
    So am I the only one who thought it was the eight one eight, and not the eight eighteen???
    MKIII #3835 IRS, Anderson Performance 408 Levy T-5 Trans, Team III Wheels
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Someday I Suppose View Post
    So am I the only one who thought it was the eight one eight, and not the eight eighteen???
    Ha, I thought the same thing...
    Weekends/track days
    1997 Camaro SS 380 rwhp/380 rwtq
    LT1 Stroked to 396. C5 brakes, suspension work, racing seats, roll bar
    Daily driver
    1999 Ford F250 Powerstroke 300 rwhp/600 rwtq
    Custom intake, 4" exhaust, 80 hp DP Tuner PCM tuning 20 MPG highway!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just want to thank Factory Five for a great competition and open house. It was thrilling to witness the 818 in person. Up close, there is no doubting the quality craftsmanship of the 818 frame. Can't wait to see how the chosen design translates to the real world. Time to get out the popcorn.

Nouphone, a big congratulations. You have a well-restrained design, and I love the "boomerang" tail light graphics on your 3D model. Rodney, such an awesomely aggressive pitbull of a car. Loads of personality. And Xabier, I echo the sentiment of many others when I say that your challenge car version would be the first one I'd build. Anthony, the low cut windscreen and classic surfaces are timeless and elegant. Great job! Davy, nice surface detail! I like the layering and how your dark colorways peek from under the red body. Mario, the oversized intakes and muscular volumes really communicate power nicely. Mazayuki, yours was the most refreshing approach to me. You took a risk and it paid off. Dominic, incredible resolution and smart use of carryover lighting. Your 3D skill is incredible. Romain, love the drama of the triangulated graphics and snorkel. Lovin those wheels, too. Colin, such a mature design and wonderfully juicy sketches. Jeff, yours looks more than track-ready. I like the sweeping line below the beltline. An insipring effort by so many.

And receiving zero awards would have been no suprise to me, so two was a huge suprise! Humbled to be in such impressive company. Dave, please use discretion if you plan to publicize my video design summary. I'm not the greatest impromptu presenter, haha. But seriously, use it as you wish, even though it's just one big outtake Great to finally meet you and some of the team. Cheers to you all!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to the bump in another thread, I have a new side view. Yes it is a bit different than the sketch, but you can see an evolution of the design as it is tweaked.

Taken from here:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...818-Submission

The more I look at it, the more I think it can be made to work.
    Last edited by kach22i; 06-12-2011 at 12:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by riptide motorsport View Post
    Interesting...I don't like cr8tr's rendering here ( at the top) but in the link that was posted I was the first to say I liked it and would build it,,,,,interesting how diferent angles/3d modeling changes your perspectives.....Steven
    I change my mind on what I like all the time, must just be your mood at the time. With that said I like the 1st and 3rd designs a lot but we will have to wait and see what the prototype is like I guess.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them." John Wayne "The Shootist"

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Everyone, I just wanted to express my gratitude, first to Factory Five for engaging with the community and allowing casual folks to participate on the creation of their new project, this speaks volume for the type of company they are and for the relationship they have with their customers. I also want to thank everyone else for their kind comments towards my design I didn't expect to win anything specially with 700+ entries so I'm thankful, but I do want to express how fun it was as an artist to design a car.

This design contest has introduce me to something I did not know much about, Kit cars. I've always been aware of the Cobra and the 65 it is one of those designs that just hits a chord if you are into cars. Over this last 3 weeks I've gotten so excited about the possibilities and what Factory Five seems to be aiming to do, an affordable racing machine whether is for street or some serious racing on the track. I think the new kit from Factory Five will be amazing specially based on their current record of legends.

The fact, again that they are approaching this with their community is amazing, I believe that the designs submitted by everyone as a whole have important elements that communicate to them perhaps what potential builders would like to see. I see this as a first step towards learning what your audience might like, I think that the winners are not going to be final creations but are a stepping stone to what they might be aiming for. At my employment I work with a kids property and the community feedback is so appreciated, specially when we create new content, I believe what is happening now here with this community is very important to FF.

Just like some of the comments on this forum, when this design comes out I want drool over it!! I think that FF really appreciates the feedback we give to them, hell how often is it that you see the President talking directly in the forums, that is cool as hell. Moving forward I want to help as much as I can, the design I've submitted is far from perfect and I will keep tweaking it on the side until it tries to reach for that. In the same token and if time allows I will try and build Xavier's car in 3d or any other design people would like to see in 3d, all in the goal of doing my part in the community for FF.

Again thanks everyone and sorry for the long post

cheers everyone and congrats to all the winners and participants!!!

p.s. the comments of my design saying that an MK4 ate a Camaro made me smile, that was not the intent. But Joke a side that thought has been lurking on my head, I started tweaking my current design to resemble an MK4 just for fun, I will post it up as soon as I have something ready.
    Last edited by RodneyO; 06-12-2011 at 01:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RodneyO View Post
    p.s. the comments of my design saying that an MK4 ate a Camaro made me smile, that was not the intent. But Joke a side that thought has been lurking on my head, I started tweaking my current design to resemble an MK4 just for fun, I will post it up as soon as I have something ready.
    Hey Rodney....yeah, that was me. Glad it made you smile. First thing that came to mind when looking at your design, which is AWESOME by the way! I absolutely LOVE the stance of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Someday I Suppose View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
    Ha, I thought the same thing...
    this may require a new thread, so everyone doesn't start using the Smith mispronunciation

Post Thanks / Like
    I can’t stress this enough… There are good 3D packages that are FREE!!! I have mentioned this before. My submission (even thought I came nowhere near close to winning) was done on an old free 3D software sweet. Here is a shot from Blender. It’s open source and free. And that’s one of MANY. Do a Google search for free 3D packages. Look at Wiki perhaps. But please stop complaining about farness when all you have to do is put forth a little effort and you will be on the same playing field as everyone else!
    Attachment 2282
    As to your advice I went and checked out Blender again, I tried it back in 2008 ver. 2.47. I think I might give it another try. I am not real patient when it comes to learn 3D software, I like to draw and design more then spend my time learning the software. Heck I have been using Photoshop for over 10yr.s and I am lucky if I understand a 100th of it........lol I am old school in graphics, drafting, 3D perspective stuff. I understand how to do all of it, I just struggle with the software learning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Vman7,
    I feel ya’ on all that. I started on Lightwave and hated it so much that I gave up. I started to thinking that 3D software wasn’t worth my time. It really is all about finding what works best for you. Remember, you only have twenty-four hours in a day. Use them wisely!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats to the winners and all who entered a design, there was some amazing work posted. Winning design is better than anything that I could have put together but not something that appeals to me to build/own. Still curious to see what actual car looks like, maybe it'll change my mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd take any of the Judges' Choice winners over First Place. Sorry, Cr8tr. The design just doesn't do it for me. I'll wait for the next available body style.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Dave,

Any chance we could see the rest of the entries? Congratulations to Cr8tr! I can't wait to see the final product and maybe add it to my stable

John MacDonald

Bedford, NH

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    Hey Dave,

Any chance we could see the rest of the entries? Congratulations to Cr8tr! I can't wait to see the final product and maybe add it to my stable

John MacDonald

Bedford, NH
    He said in another post that FFR will be posting the majority of the entries.

Steve
    Weekends/track days
    Daily driver

Webmaster, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Guys,

Here's another view of the winner's entry:

Dave Lindsey
    FFR's Mad Dog

Webmaster, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    And a few more:

Dave Lindsey
    FFR's Mad Dog

Post Thanks / Like
    Its amazing what a little computer rendering will do for presenting your work. Assuming these views were previously un-released, I think you'll find many of the nay-sayers will accept the winning design with more open arms.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, the additional views do give a more complete idea the type of presence this car would have on the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    still looks to heavy towards the rear end...why is the rear of the car so high?

the angle of the silver one reminds me of this 2010 Europa concept....and not in a good way

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    Hi Guys,

Here's another view of the winner's entry:

That pic looks alot better than the one they used to announce the winners!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
    still looks to heavy towards the rear end...why is the rear of the car so high?
    That and the high belt line is just how some cars are designed. I agree with you that there is no good reason, other than some people like it. It's been done before, don't make it right or wrong.

Example; Pontiac Solstice Coupe

One advantage, is that SUV's and Mini vans which come flying up on your rear can see you and may not try to force you off the road just because they are bigger than you.

I drive a 1977 911 targa, and people just about climb up over my rear bumper. They cannot judge distance under their high hoods and things under their sight line do not exist to them.
    Last edited by kach22i; 06-13-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobySnack818 View Post
    Its amazing what a little computer rendering will do for presenting your work. Assuming these views were previously un-released, I think you'll find many of the nay-sayers will accept the winning design with more open arms.
    Yep, I'm already liking it a LOT more with these new views!

Post Thanks / Like
    I do too...I wonder why they didn't show some of those pictures instead of the drawing during open house?
    Weekends/track days
    Daily driver

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it, that would be a build I would do

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll buy it if it has a hard top or a weather proof top.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast