FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Boig Motorsport Announces Its New Quiet Pipes Side Pipe Kits!

Post Thanks / Like

Boig Motorsport Announces Its New Quiet Pipes Side Pipe Kits!

If you would like to mellow out your roadster a bit, and are particular about quality, then a set of all new QuietPipes baffled side-pipes may be just what you are looking for. If you don't want everyone within 150 feet to turn and look at you when you start your car at the gas station or coffee shop, then a set of all new QuietPipes baffled side-pipes may be just what you are looking for. If you would like to take your Roadster to church on Sundays, then a set of all new QuietPipes baffled side-pipes may be just what you are looking for. We think in many cases a Roadster with Quietpipes gets used and enjoyed more!

Close-up of Quietpipes collector. Notice the high-quality welds and collector shape.

Tight radius bends increase clearance to rear edge if body cut-out.

Check out this video for a sound clip from Todd Buttrick's 392 Stroker. The dog even likes it.

These pipes address the need for neighborhood friendly side-pipes. The outstanding feature is the baffled design with no packing to blow out. These side pipes will be as quiet after years of use as they are the day you installed them.

The sound is sweet and powerful but never nasty. Have we made them too quiet? Maybe. 70mph cruise wind noise is a bigger issue. These pipes are made to order in USA with all new parts so you don't have to sacrifice your FFR loud pipes, or search for a donor set, or incur an outbound shipping cost.

The collectors make a smooth transition and are a nice cosmetic improvement over the FFR collectors. Warning: once you see the smooth collectors, you can't un-see them! Also, check out the improved weld quality. The width of the welds at about 3/16" is about half that of typical Factory Five welds. The FFR collector is the cut-off pipe in the main photo. Our design also removes the FFR kink in the passenger side, meaning the 4 tubes, collector, and muffler section are all on the same axis. It just looks better. The pipe bend radius is smaller which provides more clearance where the sidepipe exits the body. The turnout has about 1" of extension for a more finished look, and angles down slightly towards the road.

Plan for 2 - 3 weeks for delivery. Add a week for transit time if you are on the West Coast.

Notes:
    - Photo shows collector with the smooth collector you will receive with your all-new QuietPipes.
    - Pipes come with Mk3 style two-hole mounting tab. Note in special instructions if you need a Mk2 style mounting arm.
    - If you install your pipe with gaskets, you must remove the unsupported center section "star" of the gasket before installation. If the center is not removed it will eventually blow out and is likely to get stuck in a baffle and cause unwanted sounds.
    - These pipes are fabricated in carbon steel only. Customer will need to paint (high heat black is our favorite) or have ceramic powder-coated locally.

Click here to visit our website and order.

2. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have used these pipes on a 347 and a 427 MK4.Great sound, but you can have a conversation while cruising and actually hear the radio on a trip. Still sound great IMO when at idle or under acceleration.

4. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    I have used these pipes on a 347 and a 427 MK4.Great sound, but you can have a conversation while cruising and actually hear the radio on a trip. Still sound great IMO when at idle or under acceleration.
    I ordered them last week and looking forward to a much quieter ride. Plan on having them ceramic coated locally in satin black.
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Any plans for 289 side pipes?
    FFR8551 289 FIA build in progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    We have jigs for 427 style sidepipes, that fit FFR supplied headers. These have been used on FEs, stroker motors, 351, 302, and 289 c.i. motors. We have not built anything yet for the 289 USRRC/FIA car yet. It's possible we can build a jig(fixture) from your present side pipes. Let's talk. 781-424-0882.

Post Thanks / Like
    Would these fit an FFR with catalytic converters?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes TPM3, Quietpipes fit an FFR roadster with catcons. Quietpipes are an exact replacement size wise for FFR factory sidepipes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice product - You may want to have a look at the 2 active threads on the Type 65 forum discussing sidepipes issues. Do you make a set of these sidepipes which fit the Gen 3 Type 65 coupe? I understand from others with experience that the Roadster sidepipes from FFR will hang too low and cant downwards if used on the Type 65.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Are there any before and after dyno numbers? I am interested to see the HP and torque cost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill, thanks for the inquiry. We actually have a customer that has ordered headers and single exhaust tube sidepipes for his coyote engined Gen 3 Coupe. He wants a matched set of headers and sidepipes, custom fit to the coupe. Modifying the standard headers and/or sidepipes does not appear to be cost effective. We expect to have them completed after about 2 weeks. We are building production fixtures for future orders.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately Avalanche325, no dyno numbers. Not for not trying! The dyno shop first had computer problems, then he felt he had a problem related to the side pipes! And this dyno shop did work for FFR. After that a guy offered a bucket of money for my car (FE engined roadster) and I sold it.

General consensus is the pipes cost 3-5% power. This is due to them being a baffled design, not straight thru like a glass pack.

Bob

14. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    here are some pictures of the pipes and headers installed on a Gen 3 coupe after ceramic coating. These are on a Dart 363 engine with Fitech injection, O2 bung added on the passenger side. As others have posted the sound is great, on my engine you will never think it is a normal car but they are reasonably quiet.
    David W
    side pipe1.jpegsidepipe2.jpeg
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boig Motorsports View Post

If you would like to mellow out your roadster a bit, and are particular about quality, then a set of all new QuietPipes baffled side-pipes may be just what you are looking for. If you don't want everyone within 150 feet to turn and look at you when you start your car at the gas station or coffee shop, then a set of all new QuietPipes baffled side-pipes may be just what you are looking for. If you would like to take your Roadster to church on Sundays, then a set of all new QuietPipes baffled side-pipes may be just what you are looking for. We think in many cases a Roadster with Quietpipes gets used and enjoyed more!

Close-up of Quietpipes collector. Notice the high-quality welds and collector shape.

Check out this video for a sound clip from Todd Buttrick's 392 Stroker. The dog even likes it.

These pipes address the need for neighborhood friendly side-pipes. The outstanding feature is the baffled design with no packing to blow out. These side pipes will be as quiet after years of use as they are the day you installed them.

The sound is sweet and powerful but never nasty. Have we made them too quiet? Maybe. 70mph cruise wind noise is a bigger issue. These pipes are made to order in USA with all new parts so you don't have to sacrifice your FFR loud pipes, or search for a donor set, or incur an outbound shipping cost.

The collectors make a smooth transition and are a nice cosmetic improvement over the FFR collectors. Warning: once you see the smooth collectors, you can't un-see them! Also, check out the improved weld quality. The width of the welds at about 3/16" is about half that of typical Factory Five welds. The FFR collector is the cut-off pipe in the main photo. Our design also removes the FFR kink in the passenger side, meaning the 4 tubes, collector, and muffler section are all on the same axis. It just looks better. The pipe bend radius is smaller which provides more clearance where the sidepipe exits the body. The turnout has about 1" of extension for a more finished look, and angles down slightly towards the road.

Plan for 2 - 3 weeks for delivery. Add a week for transit time if you are on the West Coast.

Notes:
    - Photo shows collector with the smooth collector you will receive with your all-new QuietPipes.
    - Pipes come with Mk3 style two-hole mounting tab. Note in special instructions if you need a Mk2 style mounting arm.
    - If you install your pipe with gaskets, you must remove the unsupported center section "star" of the gasket before installation. If the center is not removed it will eventually blow out and is likely to get stuck in a baffle and cause unwanted sounds.
    - These pipes are fabricated in carbon steel only. Customer will need to paint (high heat black is our favorite) or have ceramic powder-coated locally.

Both,

Luv the sound of the quiet pipes and the quality looks great. Installed mine at the end of last season and can't wait till spring.

Jay
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got my set of Boig Quietpipes on order for my Gen 3 Coupe and should receive them mid-January. Of course, I've got well over a year of build left to go, but just wanted to secure a set. Dave Williamson, your "Chrome Ceramic" finished and installed Quietpipes look fantastic. Did you have the weld beads ground flush? They look amazing, almost non-existant.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    The welds are very neat so no I did not grind them down. I think they are a hand weld done on a set of rollers by a skilled welder, very neat job.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, David is correct. We're proud of our workmanship!

Thank you David for the complements.

Bob Boig

Post Thanks / Like
    Great!, A Big Thumbs Up for both of your first hand comments. Again, I'm looking forward to receiving my Quietpipes.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    looks like its been a year or so since the "Dyno results" question was asked . . . any update on that? any customers have theirs dyno'd? thanks, Jake

22. Thanks SteveHsr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bump.

Another thread referenced Laser Stan's 71hp loss when using breeze quiet pipes vs his homemade pipes. Boig only estimates 3-5% above. That's quite a difference. I too would love to see some results before purchasing a set.

laser.JPG

24. Likes hugo-k liked this post
    Waiting for my 65 Coupe nskaats's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a chassis dyno and willing to donate dyno time if we have anyone wanting to do some true back to back testing. Located about 15 minutes from Cincinnati.
    --Nick Skaats--
    Gen 3 Coupe #80 - LS1/T56 - SCCA Bound
    Link To Album For Updates

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you guys have any quiet pipes for the Gen 1 Type 65 Coupes?

Post Thanks / Like
    JohnPR - We can fabricate quietpipes for that car, but we have no jigs to do it. Therefor we can only do it on your car, at our shop in Massachusetts. For the Gen III, we have jigs for both the Coyote and SBF engines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I ran my 289 with the board quiet pipes the first time today and I’m very happy. they are mellow and yet roar when you put the pedal down. these pipes with j pipes are quieter than my FFR pipes with cats. The welds are beautiful. Thank you Bob for the beautiful workmanship.F90903DB-5163-468C-833D-5B3E9DAC97E5.jpeg
    “Privateer”
    289 USRRC Chassis #9188 p/u 9/11/2017 Go kart 3/18/2018, road legal 6/16/2018
    Ford full roller 306 built by my son and me Holley Sniper EFI
    TKO600 2015 IRS 3:55. 17” FFR Hallibrand replicas, Power steering
    FFR Vintage instruments, Wipers and Heat/defrost
    Lots of parts and advice from Mike Forte & Mark Reynolds (Breeze Automotive)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looking at gen 3 coupe or 35 truck. I already have 351 Cleveland (stroked to 408) from old Pantera. FFR told me I will need my own headers which I have old pair of shorty headers. Would these be compatible with Cleveland block if I go with the coupe?

Post Thanks / Like
    When I first started up my Coyote with the Factory Five pipes in the garage, I almost shut it off immediately because the sound just wasn't pleasant to me at all. Once it got it out in the driveway it was tolerable, but just barely. I've spent most of life my shooting guns, and blowing stuff up and over 20 years fixing and flying in helicopters and playing Army and going to war, and I've somehow still managed to keep my almost perfect hearing. I really don't want to ruin that with my weekend fun car. I went in that night and ordered these pipes. They showed up a few weeks ago and I sent them off to Jet-Hot. They came back before the weekend and I got them installed. Holy crap, what a difference in sound.

This was by no means a scientific test, I held the cheap sound meter in my right hand while sitting in the drivers seat in my garage and revved the motor to 5k. The FF pipes came in at a painful 128.3dB and the Boigs were 104.8. Still plenty loud, but not obnoxiously so. I've only driven it around the block a few times in go-kart form, but it sounds amazing from the driver's seat and it no longer brings my whole neighborhood out.

70004215_10220272098661159_7714237854662000640_o.jpg 69669876_10220272098981167_1483300804310859776_o.jpg70122667_10220272096181097_3917214721769472000_o.jpg

I may try to do back to back dyno runs someday with them and the FF pipes, but honestly they sound so good I don't even care if I lost a bit of power. I'm sure I'll get most of it back once I get it properly tuned.

This was the only video I managed to get so far. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3lcNvAxQ5s

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ThickCobra View Post
    Both,

Luv the sound of the quiet pipes and the quality looks great. Installed mine at the end of last season and can't wait till spring.

Jay
    Jay,

How did yours turn out? Does your powder coat shop do ceramic coating? I like the shiny look.

Steve
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Misterfubar,

I've just ordered my Mk4 kit and am planning on a Coyote. I too am concerned about my hearing and willing to trade some horsepower for a more tolerable sound. It's been a year since you posted your video. Can you give us a one-year update?

Also, the finish on your pipes looks great. What kind of coating did you go with?

Post Thanks / Like
    I did some research and figured it out.

Looks like the Classic Polish finish from Jet-Hot. It's a nice look!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m looking at getting these for my Gen3 Coupe planning on a 347 SB which uses 302 style Headers ( FFR ceramic coated ) would they connect to them? the headers in the picture look different.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m considering getting the Quiet Pipes for my Gen3 Coupe build. the plan is a SB 347 which uses the 302 style headers ( ordered the ceramic headers from FFR ) will they connect to them?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Why don't you just say the price?

Quote Originally Posted by Boig Motorsports View Post

Notes:

Even the first web page doesn't say the price. I guess if I have to ask, I can't afford them.
    Mk4 Complete kit with IRS, IRS brakes, Power Steering, 302 mounts, 302 headers, TKO, 2 Rollbars, Leather seats,
    vintage gauges, polished stainless sidepipes, front and rear sway bars, all cutouts.
    Blueprint Engines 347 stroker; Tremec TKO 600; 3.55 IRS, 17" Bullitt wheels: 9" front 10.5" rear.
    Delivered Nov. 6, 2018. First start Aug. 11, 2019. First Go-Cart Feb. 21, 2020.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    old thread but did anyone ever do a Dyno test to confirm the HP/TQ difference? They are claiming 3-5% loss but that is a guess on their part. Most would be ok with losing 10-15 HP but not many want to lose 50 let alone the 71 Stan lost above, unless the sound is just unbearable..
    The 24 dbs that someone above tested and it lowered that much from his stock pipes is huge. In the Car Stereo Competition World to gain 3 dbs you have to double you watts each time you want to go up 3dbs. So to go from 128 dbs down to 104 dbs that is a world of difference as far as being able to talk while driving...