Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  18

Thread: #9196 475hp 347 MK4 Roadster Build (Insurance and Plates)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just went thru a couple of your videos on YouTube, great idea to "document" everything in a video format - sure makes it easy to go back and "see" what you did later if you question yourself (and we all do).
    One thing I am concerned about is the oil pump housing to main/girdle bolt clearance. The video looks like you ground off just enough to make the pump housing sit on the bolt but without any pressure pressing on it. That's a god thing but, things get really HOT in a crankcase during operation and expand, sometimes more then we all think it should expand. And since the normal oil temp for a small block FORD should run about 200° - 220° F. then there is going to be expansion at that junction. I [personally] would run a gasket between the block and pump to give you about .020" more clearance at that point of contact. Last thing you want is stress put on the oil pump housing in an engine that has built-in harmonics and vibrations.

Just my 2˘

On another note, oil pump pickup to bottom of oil pan should be held to .250" - .375". Farther away and she'll starve on [hard] corners, lower and she'll starve all the time as the pump tries to suck the pan upward.

The little things you do now will keep the "issues" from cropping up later on. 15 years on the road with my MKII . . .

Just here to help . . .

Doc
    Last edited by Big Blocker; 11-08-2017 at 10:42 PM.
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blocker View Post
    Just went thru a couple of your videos on YouTube, great idea to "document" everything in a video format - sure makes it easy to go back and "see" what you did later if you question yourself (and we all do).
    One thing I am concerned about is the oil pump housing to main/girdle bolt clearance. The video looks like you ground off just enough to make the pump housing sit on the bolt but without any pressure pressing on it. That's a god thing but, things get really HOT in a crankcase during operation and expand, sometimes more then we all think it should expand. And since the normal oil temp for a small block FORD should run about 200° - 220° F. then there is going to be expansion at that junction. I [personally] would run a gasket between the block and pump to give you about .020" more clearance at that point of contact. Last thing you want is stress put on the oil pump housing in an engine that has built-in harmonics and vibrations.

Just my 2˘

The little things you do now will keep the "issues" from cropping up later on. 15 years on the road with my MKII . . .

Just here to help . . .

Doc
    Thanks Doc,

The thing about my vids and posts, and this is probably true for everyone, but I took a little more off that pump later on. Its well clear. I also fixed the things that you had recommended for the suspension as well. I just need to be better at going back and covering the things I have hit once or twice. I hate doing things twice but I will if I don't have complete confidence in that part of the build.