Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gen 3 FFR#48 Type 65 Coupe R Build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gen 3 FFR#48 Type 65 Coupe R Build

Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe R Kit ordered, now its time to get to the details.

I have been racing the old FFR#48 Challenge Car for the past 11 years, and decided its time to switch it up and try my hand at racing a Type 65 Coupe. The aero advantages and frame stiffness the Type 65 Coupe offers sold me on the switch-o-rooney. So, I sold FFR#48 Challenge Car as a rolling chassis, kept all of the important stuff like engine, dry sump, trans, ecu, data logger, wing, and fuel cell which will go into the new build.

Mark Dougherty, Brendan Dougherty and I are building up the Gen3 Type 65 Coupe R starting in December near Hershey, PA, and will be race ready for the start of the 2017 NASA North East racing season (March/April timeframe.) We will also compete at the Grassroots Magazine’s Ultimate Track Car Challenge @ Virginia International Raceway May 2017.

The car will be classed in NASA ST2, Hoosier A7 DOT tires, and will have aero, front splitter, and rear wing.

Stay tuned for a ton of build pictures, and updates! Cant wait to get started! so excited! cant you tell!

Grassroots Motorsports Forum Build and Project Cars page

NASA ST2 (8.00:1 weight/power) rules calculations based on ST2 rules: https://nasaproracing.com/rules/Supe...ited_Rules.pdf

Adds/Deductions with Aero and 245 tires (front splitter, rear wing, diffuser, flat bottom):
    Min weight of 2800lb = -.1
    Use of 245 DOT tires = +.7
    Non-Production vehicle = -.4
    Total=+.2
    Adjusted Wt/HP ratio formula is (8.00 - .2) = 7.8, to get MAX RWHP for NASA ST2, take weight divided by calculated Adjusted Wt/HP ratio. 2800lb/7.8 = 359RWHP

-------------------------------

Adds/Deductions with Aero and 275 tires (front splitter, rear wing, diffuser, flat bottom):
    Use of 275 DOT tires = +.3
    Total=-.2
    Adjusted Wt/HP ratio formula is (8.00 - (-.2)) = 8.2, to get MAX RWHP for NASA ST2, take weight divided by calculated Adjusted Wt/HP ratio. 2800lb/8.2 = 341RWHP

Adds/Deductions with Aero and bigger then 275 tires (315 front/335 rear) (front splitter, rear wing, diffuser, flat bottom):
    Total=-.5
    Adjusted Wt/HP ratio formula is (8.00 - (-.5)) = 8.5, to get MAX RWHP for NASA ST2, take weight divided by calculated Adjusted Wt/HP ratio. 2800lb/8.5 = 329RWHP

If you do want to run NASA ST1 (6.00:1 weight/power) here is the math:

Adds/Deductions with Aero (front splitter, rear wing, diffuser, flat bottom) and Michelin Slicks (30/65-18 front, 31/71-18 rear, 18"x12" wheels):
    Use of Racing Slicks = -.5
    Total=-1.0
    Adjusted Wt/HP ratio formula is (6.00 - (-1.0)) = 7.0, to get MAX RWHP for NASA ST1, take weight divided by calculated Adjusted Wt/HP ratio. 2800lb/7.0 = 400RWHP
    Last edited by johngeorge; 04-14-2017 at 10:26 AM.
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Gen3 Type65 Coupe R, Street legal.***
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Challenge Car rolling chassis, Street legal.***
    http://johngeorgeracing.com