Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike's Boynton Beach Build! First Car Build Ever!

Post Thanks / Like

Mike's Boynton Beach Build! First Car Build Ever!

So my completion date was Sat Dec. 12th but I was late setting up Transport with Stewart! Probably won't be delivered until after the New Year! Thankfully this has given me time to redo my garage! 😀😀😀. Let me know what you think!

Before!image.jpeg

After!image.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeybrownie View Post
    So my completion date was Sat Dec. 12th but I was late setting up Transport with Stewart! Probably won't be delivered until after the New Year! Thankfully this has given me time to redo my garage! ������. Let me know what you think!

Before!image.jpeg

After!image.jpeg
    Welcome Mike,
    I think your garage looks great in the before picture. Wait till you disassemble the donor plus pick up your car, you will have boxes of parts all over.
    I think your comment of being a first time builder is the same for 90% of the members here.
    Did you get a coupe, roadster, or race?
    Start asking questions now. there are about 100 people here that were in your shoes in the past year or two.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work on the garage. Bob is right you will have boxes and parts everywhere. Second bit of advice, have fun.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Garage is looking good. I am up the road in Alachua, FL. Let me know if I can ever be of any help. I am working on my 3rd 818 now.

Post Thanks / Like
    One bit of advice, a couple things i learned getting into mine.

Remember, you are going to get about 20 boxes 1ft x 2ft x 4ft, they take up a lot of room. You are going to be playing tetris for a little while.

Get a couple of Plastic shelving racks to put against one wall and a trash barrel. As you open and inventory the boxes, throw the paper packing material in the trash, mark the smaller boxes with contents descriptions, and start stacking them on the shelves, make one shelf for Suspension, one shelf interior, etc...

Break down the boxes as you go and stack them.

One thing I did, is after I built a rolling frame dolly, I put the front suspension pieces on the floor below the frame to save some shelf space, since usually this is the first thing you assemble.

When you are done with inventory, immediately throw away the mountain of packing material, but I would at least keep a few of the broken down boxes, in case you need to ship something back.

As you get into your build, its nice to walk over to the shelf and know what is in the boxes. Hunting around for parts is a pain and slows you down. Once you are done, take the racks down for a little extra space in the garage. Also, make sure you have a plan as to what to do with the body when you take it off the frame and start your build. Outside storage is ok, but if you have to roll over grass, get some larger pneumatic tires for the body buck, little casters will dig right in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations! I've upgraded your account so you can use the pic albums here and update your profile.

Here's how to change your thread title as you go:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...tle-Guidelines

And this is how to embed pics using the Image Gallery:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...tures-in-posts

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats man! Good luck with the build. Let us know if you have questions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone! Nice to meet all of you! I'm stoked! I'm building he 818S... Although I shoulda ordered the 818c... That looks amazing! My soon to be wifey keeps bringing up how expensive the hobby is! ... Maybe that means she wants a wedding soon! Oh well! Hahaha
    Last edited by mikeybrownie; 12-17-2015 at 07:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 6t8dart View Post
    One bit of advice, a couple things i learned getting into mine.

Remember, you are going to get about 20 boxes 1ft x 2ft x 4ft, they take up a lot of room. You are going to be playing tetris for a little while.

Get a couple of Plastic shelving racks to put against one wall and a trash barrel. As you open and inventory the boxes, throw the paper packing material in the trash, mark the smaller boxes with contents descriptions, and start stacking them on the shelves, make one shelf for Suspension, one shelf interior, etc...

Break down the boxes as you go and stack them.

One thing I did, is after I built a rolling frame dolly, I put the front suspension pieces on the floor below the frame to save some shelf space, since usually this is the first thing you assemble.

When you are done with inventory, immediately throw away the mountain of packing material, but I would at least keep a few of the broken down boxes, in case you need to ship something back.

As you get into your build, its nice to walk over to the shelf and know what is in the boxes. Hunting around for parts is a pain and slows you down. Once you are done, take the racks down for a little extra space in the garage. Also, make sure you have a plan as to what to do with the body when you take it off the frame and start your build. Outside storage is ok, but if you have to roll over grass, get some larger pneumatic tires for the body buck, little casters will dig right in.
    [I]I really really appreciate the help! I'm really excited for the build... Is there any special tools that I will need that will come in Handy... Besides the Air Riveter?

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! Definitely have to have to come up and check it out! Your third one! Intense!

Post Thanks / Like
    Take some time to look thru some of the older threads, this forum has some of the best info you'll find anywhere.
    Some to check out...

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ht=Tools+build

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ht=Tools+build

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo.../rivspacer.php Bought a rivitspacer years ago, one of the best tool investments i have made. Cleco's are another must have.
    Lawson sells 2 sided short drill bits, I buy 1/8 and 3/16 6 at time a few 1/4 bits come in handy too http://www.lawsonproducts.com/Double...s/CT105090.lpc .
    or http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-drill-bits/=10aafh8
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 12-17-2015 at 09:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Wyoming 818R build going on. You might check out my google docs sheet on build tips. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...zdZ726ec7Y/pub

Good luck and feel free to ask me anything!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Are you going to add more lighting in your garage, you will need it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodgeman View Post
    Are you going to add more lighting in your garage, you will need it.
    Definitely going to take advice on more lighting! I'm going to see what Home Depot or Lowes has to offer for more garage lighting!

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay Everyone!

Added some more lighting in my garage! Thinking that I'm going to have my donor and my kit from Factory Five here by Friday January 8th! Since I initially bought the 818S I'm definitely going to be pulling the trigger on the hardtop! It just looks so good!
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Bought first house with Garage!
    Always been a car enthusiast!
    FFR 818S - Scheduled for delivery!
    To Be CONTINUED!

Post Thanks / Like

Garage Almost Done!

Boom! Almost done with the garage! Just have to put in the new sink and finish the Husky Trackwall!

https://youtu.be/dMTqbt8JeS8
    Boynton Beach, FL
    To Be CONTINUED!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work.

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas! Cant wait to receive my donor and kit!

Also I bought two overhead lights from home depot that plug in and use T12 bulbs. I ordered a cool remote out item from amazon so I can control all the overhead light by simply pressing a button!
    Boynton Beach, FL
    To Be CONTINUED!

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 for Florida.

Curious what everyone's experience is with Florida registration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Loring View Post
    +1 for Florida.

Curious what everyone's experience is with Florida registration.
    Found this online... Very Straight forward!

Florida Custom Built Car

Specific steps are required when registering a custom built car in the State of Florida. Custom built cars are cars that are:

Built from new frames provided by manufacturers
    Built from existing car frames with a body kit
    Homemade car frames
    Registration is more involved and consists of more documentation. 4dmv.com outlines the specific documentation that must be filed for the various custom built car types.

Applying For Registration For Custom Built Cars That Have Been Built From Car Kits Mounted On A Frame That Was Previously Titled in The State of Florida

To apply for a registration for a custom built vehicle that has been mounted on a car frame that was previously titled in the State of Florida you will need:

The Florida State title, in your name, to the original car frame. You may also complete an application to transfer the frame’s title into your name.
    The body kit MCO from the manufacturer or a Bill of Sale.
    An application fro Certificate.
    An application for Certificate of Title which can be found
    A notarized affidavit that not only lists all the repairs made to the vehicle but that the vehicle is safe to drive on public roads.
    Receipt or Bill of Sale that shows all parts and equipment that were not part of the original frame or body kit. The sellers name, address and signature must also appear.
    Applicable sales tax
    Affidavit of non use or the vehicle’s license plate number issued by the State of Florida.
    All applicable fees
    Applying For Registration For Custom Built Cars That Have Been Built From Car Kits Mounted On A Frame That Was Previously Titled in Another State

For out-of-state titled car frame’s you will need:

Proof of ownership or the out-of-state title to the ownership from the original car frame. You may also fill out and submit an application to transfer ownership into your name.
    All documentation from steps two through eight listed above.
    Applying For Registration For Custom Built Cars That Have Been Built From Car Kits Mounted On A Homemade Frame

For application for kit mounted custom bodies on a homemade frame you will need:

A notarized affidavit that lists all the repairs made to the vehicle but that the vehicle is safe to drive on public roads.
    Applying For Registration For Custom Built Cars That Have Been Built From Car Kits Mounted On A Frame Provided by the Manufacturer

For application for kit mounted on a new frame provider the manufacturer you will need:

Manufacturer’s invoice or Bill of Sale which states that the frame was included with the body kit
    Boynton Beach, FL
    To Be CONTINUED!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is registered in Florida, It wasn't bad at all. They just want to know where all of the parts came from, so keep recieipts, and the donor title. The DMV kept asking for more info, so I ended up sending them the 9 page part list from FF, once they had that they scheduled my inspection, witch was a breeze.

Post Thanks / Like
    I see you also have a pull down ladder for your attic. If you have a decent amount of space up there, you may want to throw down a few extra floor boards. I found it extremely helpful to put some of the later build parts up in my garage attic during the build to make it easier to find the relevant parts in the garage (body panels, seats that I bought on Amazon, carpet, some of the aluminum panels, dashboard, headlights/taillights, etc all went in the attic by the end of day 2 for me).

Then, in your inventory list (you will get about 15 sheets from Stewart when the boxes arrive) just make a note next to anything you put in the attic so you know where to find it later.

Best of luck with your build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billjr212 View Post
    I see you also have a pull down ladder for your attic. If you have a decent amount of space up there, you may want to throw down a few extra floor boards. I found it extremely helpful to put some of the later build parts up in my garage attic during the build to make it easier to find the relevant parts in the garage (body panels, seats that I bought on Amazon, carpet, some of the aluminum panels, dashboard, headlights/taillights, etc all went in the attic by the end of day 2 for me).

Then, in your inventory list (you will get about 15 sheets from Stewart when the boxes arrive) just make a note next to anything you put in the attic so you know where to find it later.

Best of luck with your build!
    Thats a great idea! My attic is finished and really nice with lots and lots of space! Thank You!
    Boynton Beach, FL
    To Be CONTINUED!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Everyone! Just an update my donor and kit are both coming at the same time it looks like... Thurs or Friday of this week
    Boynton Beach, FL
    To Be CONTINUED!

Post Thanks / Like
    My Kit Has Arrived! Please see attached video and description!

Donor Car arrives in Saturday!!!!

https://youtu.be/IWUYeSoU2kI
    Boynton Beach, FL
    To Be CONTINUED!

Post Thanks / Like
    Enjoy your build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ohhhhh Myyyyy! I don't know about you guys but tearing apart the donor was a pain... If it wasn't a CV axle being stuck it was a brake caliper being stuck or straining myself with the breaker bar on all of the suspension parts... A donor pallet from Wayne probably would've been worth the extra money! Whewwww!
    Last edited by mikeybrownie; 01-28-2016 at 06:56 PM.
    Boynton Beach, FL
    To Be CONTINUED!

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah it's a lot of work. Now start cleaning and figure out what can be saved and what you should buy new!

Post Thanks / Like
    And start listing unneeded parts on Craig's list and NASIOC for sale.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Guys! I have a question! I noticed the sway bar mounts are angled from the factory with the 2006 WRX... Do these need to be bent or flattened out so that can be mounted on the flat mounting surface on the frame? Doesn't look like they will bend the easiest? Thanks
    Boynton Beach, FL
    To Be CONTINUED!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeybrownie View Post
    Hey Guys! I have a question! I noticed the sway bar mounts are angled from the factory with the 2006 WRX... Do these need to be bent or flattened out so that can be mounted on the flat mounting surface on the frame? Doesn't look like they will bend the easiest? Thanks
    Yeah; the donor brackets don't fit, but these work perfect:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    Yeah; the donor brackets don't fit, but these work perfect:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage

Thank You!!!!!
    Boynton Beach, FL
    To Be CONTINUED!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Everyone! My build is coming along fantastically! I put the motor and Trans in This Weekend!! I have a couple of questions!

1. My coolant expansion tank was broken when received because of the wreck that the vehicle was in! So the hoses we're going everywhere! I need some help figuring out where all of the coolant and vacuum hoses go!

2. I was installing the brake master cylinder and noticed that the 1 inch button head (initially said hex head) bolts are too short to go through the pedal box, did you guys have this problem also??
    Last edited by mikeybrownie; 02-21-2016 at 09:36 PM.
    Boynton Beach, FL
    To Be CONTINUED!

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a lot of good info about the ej motor in this thread, might help you too http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...lifying-the-EJ

Post Thanks / Like
    It would be amazing if someone created a youtube video showing the removal of all of this!
    Quote Originally Posted by NBinSD View Post
    I got a lot of good info about the ej motor in this thread, might help you too http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...lifying-the-EJ
    Boynton Beach, FL
    To Be CONTINUED!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a useful thread on where each of the rubber hoses go.
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2614458

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike it sounds like your build is coming along nicely. I grow up in Boynton Beach and my mother still lives there. It would be great to meet up and give you a hand anytime in town. I haven't built one but would love to help anyone. I will be in Boynton Beach this coming Saturday and Sunday if you are working on it I'd love to stop by and give you a hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well how nice is that... Check it my personal message!
    Boynton Beach, FL
    To Be CONTINUED!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Everyone! I know I don't post too much but I'm making amazing progress on my car! It is pretty much go carted! I'm waiting on my harness to come back from iWire, have to finish setting up vacuum and cooling hoses on the motor and put in the fuel filter which I accidentally threw away from the donor !

I also bought the Shifter from Wayne today! Looking forward to getting that!

I'm having a heck of a time bleeding my clutch lines... I followed one of the forums which stated that the best way to do it is take of the slave cylinder and compress it with a C clamp... That worked like a charm... Im using a HF vacuum kit... I have all the air out of the line and the clutch pedal and still hitting the floor??? Driving me bonkers, I checked all the lines and have no leaks... Help?

Also I was wondering if some of you can send me a couple pictures of your motor without the inter poker on so I can see where the vacuum and other lines are running too
    Last edited by mikeybrownie; 03-14-2016 at 11:14 PM.
    Boynton Beach, FL
    To Be CONTINUED!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast