BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: K24/K20 818c

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The guy from Sugarugears said he can make a adapter plate and a flywheel to mate engine to the sti trans. I didn't think about using a RSX trans which is what the lotus guys do. I'd say if the engine fits in the lotus and the ecoboost fits in the 818 I'm sure the k24 will also fit in the 818. The attractiveness of going with a wrx trans would be the mounting,shifter, -!: axle setup are already done. You would just need engine mounts and a wiring harness. Going to a RSX trans would eliminate the adapter plate and flywheel but would require a custom setup for the shift linkage, trans mount, and axles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by josh7owens View Post
    Going to a RSX trans would eliminate the adapter plate and flywheel but would require a custom setup for the shift linkage, trans mount, and axles.
    And a lot of frame and suspension re-work! Frank818 originally considered mounting his VR6 sideways in his 818 with the VW transaxle, but realized the entire rear suspension would need to be redesigned to accommodate a transverse drive-train layout. His VR6 fits, but he ended up with a longitudinal orientation, bolting it to a Porsche transaxle, IIRC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    And a lot of frame and suspension re-work! Frank818 originally considered mounting his VR6 sideways in his 818 with the VW transaxle, but realized the entire rear suspension would need to be redesigned to accommodate a transverse drive-train layout. His VR6 fits, but he ended up with a longitudinal orientation, bolting it to a Porsche transaxle, IIRC.
    Exactly! So the question is, what is the physical size of the 2007 WRX STI motor and will a K24 block fit in the same space without having to move anything; I.E.-the trans back.

I wouldn't want a 800whp or 1000whp but mid 600 with an borg warner EFR turbo with a anti-lag setup similar to Robert Thornes S2000 CR and the car would be nasty with very little turbo lag.

I'm still confused on why no one has done this yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by josh7owens View Post
    I'm still confused on why no one has done this yet.
    The EZ30 is the longest motor that fits longitudinally, from
    http://phantomotaku.com/SVX/011822-MSA5P0631C.pdf
    the length is 18.3 inches

Your dimension above is 20", so it won't fit without mods to the rear firewall.
    The trans is about as far back as it will go.
    The adaptor plate might also make this worse.
    You'd also have to mod or relocate the tank,
    and motor maintenance in a C would be tight.

Other than that, go for it. Frank818 has proved anything can be done with enough perseverance