Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Remote reservoir woes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    tmoretta, one other person here complained about the exact same issue, however, I have the remote reservoir as well and have not had the issue you guys did. Did you by chance use dot 5 brake fluid? That might be why if so. I used dot 4.

I ordered some new hose from McMaster. You can use several different kinds but the Tygon Bob mentioned will work great, as will EPDM. You want 3/8" ID tubing.

EPDM and Tygon from McMaster:
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#9776T9
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#5103K36

Consider clamping all the hoses with constant tension spring steel hose clamps, that way you can still use a pressure bleeder. I've been running with the above tubing and clamps for almost a year with no leakage seeping. The only reason I replaced the tubing on mine was because I wanted to route my lines differently and ran out of hose from Mike's kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a chance to get visual access to the systems today. Seems like the supplied plastic threaded elbows are leaking at the joint with the machined aluminum. I am going to try to source some replacement (non plastic) fittings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoretta View Post
    I had a chance to get visual access to the systems today. Seems like the supplied plastic threaded elbows are leaking at the joint with the machined aluminum. I am going to try to source some replacement (non plastic) fittings.
    Try applying some loctite to the cleaned threads of the elbow. I've had really good luck with locktite on difficult to seal threads. Also, I concur with Bob that the tygon tubing is best for this application. I bought some with a Teflon lining, which is good for most chemical contact. I will be using dot 5 fluid in my system since everything is new, but according to what I read, dot 5 fluid is compatible with seals etc, but should not be mixed with dot4 or dot3 fluids because the reaction between the two fluids causes the liquid to gel, rendering inoperable brakes.