Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: '15 IRS half shaft removal

Post Thanks / Like

'15 IRS half shaft removal

Has anyone installed a half-shaft into the diff then removed it? There is a spring clip on the end of the shaft that locks it into the diff when installed. It's the equivalent of a c-clip on some semi-floating rear axles except better since it's self-installing and doesn't require the diff off to get it on. What I can't tell of the '15 design is whether you DO have to get into the diff to get the half-shaft removed.
    I installed one then decided to remove it to paint the bare metal with a clear coat. I don't want to drain and remove the diff cover since it came from Ford Performance with fluid in it. But for the life of me I can't get the shaft back out since that spring clip is holding it in. Part of it is that I have broken ribs and can't pull very hard at the moment. But I used a slide hammer type action and all that happens is the upper cv joint takes the brunt of the action. I tried prying it but just bent the dust plate/tabs.
    Is the spring clip just seated that well of do you have to pinch it from the inside to get the shaft out?

-TJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Posted also in the other forum: No, you don't have to take the diff apart. There's nothing inside to release. It's being held by a compressed spring clip. Normal process is to pry it out between the center section housing and the CV joint. Like in this video at roughly 4:10. 2015-2017 Mustang Ford Racing Rear Half Shaft Upgrade Kit Installation - YouTube. I haven't taken the new assembly apart once it was installed. But when I received my new take-out 2015 IRS assembly, it was the whole IRS pallet including the stock CV axles. They both popped out with a little bit of leverage like shown. I wouldn't be using a slide hammer and pulling on the CV joints themselves. No reason to. Good luck.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul covered that nicely so I have nothing to add. I will add on a another IRS topic that when I got my irs I called FFR and then Ford inquiring to verify the unit was full of fluid. Every person I spoke with gave me a different answer. The one that bothered me the most was "I think they fill it part way for shipping." I decided to do a fluid swap just to be sure. In the end it seemed like I put about the same amount back in as I took out. I do feel a little better knowing for sure it is serviced properly. Just something to consider. Maybe you have seen some more definitive information that it comes full and ready to use.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides