Hi everyone,

First a quick introduction. My name is Tim Neil and I live near Toronto, Canada and I'm embarking on a new adventure of trying to create a "coach build" of the 818 which will be known as the 818X (X for exotic)

If you are wondering what a coach build is, it’s basically using the chassis/components/monocoque from an existing production vehicle that has removable body panels as a platform and then creating your own body design on top.

I'm no stranger to the modified car world nor the kit car world. The vehicle that I will be using as the donor car is my 2002 Subaru WRX that has too many modifications to list and I've been an active member of NASIOC for years and years. Here's a link to a couple of shots of the donor.

I've also built a 1989 Batmobile in my own 2 car garage that I recently sold about a year ago. That was the opposite process where I had the body shell and then had to build a complete vehicle underneath it fully functional with automatic gun doors, disc throwers, power hatch, screen accurate interior and afterburner. A Throttle quadrant from a WWII navy bomber was used as the gear selector just like the movie car!

I'm working with a local designer with whom I've done a few projects with in the past to see if we can re-skin the 818 while trying to reuse as many components as possible. Right now we are on the 3rd revision of draft sketches to get the design language and general shapes we are looking for. We're now working on a 4th revision which I should have some updates for soon, and then we'll be moving to the 2D rendering phase. Initial details can be found on my blog but I'll also share some top level details here.

For the front we are going with the bumper and headlight design of “C”. This design will provide air flow under the license plate area and up through the 45 degree radiator and finally out through the hood vent. Additional air will also come through the side openings of the bumper. The headlights will reuse the components from the 818C and we are looking at also adding some LED strips to the front bumper.

For the rear we are working with the design of “D”. This will be a fixed wing and will likely use the tail lights from a Lincoln MKC for a modern LED look. The central exhaust may have to change depending on clearance from the transmission, but the goal is to likely have the area between the tail lights and the bottom diffuser be a mesh similar to a Lamborghini Gallardo.

The side profile of the car will be very similar to the design of “F”. We are going for a fairly sculpted angular look that will provide upper side air inlets to help provide airflow to the intercooler in the engine compartment. Similar to that of a Lamborghini Murcielago or the new Acura NSX.

We will also be looking to widen the car by about 2 inches per side compared to the concept drawings to give a wide low look with a narrow cockpit. A hopeful stretch goal will be to see if we can somehow reuse a modified 818C roof/hatch structure which makes windshields and door/hatch glass much easier since no re-engineering would be required.

This is just the start of the journey, but like all my car projects, I always enjoy sharing the highs and lows along the way