FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Any Idea where to build one if you don't have a garage?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Any Idea where to build one if you don't have a garage?

So I'm planning an 818S. However, currently I don't live in a house with a garage. Outside of moving. Are there any ideas of solutions to this? I have some possible ones. The first being Garagepointer and the other being making friends and just using theirs. Anything else do you think?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, you're in DC but I know a guy that built one in the crate it was delivered in while living in So. Calif. Maybe check and see what a small hanger rents for at one of the local small airports.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    any other ideas. eh well. might have to buy a house oh well.

Post Thanks / Like
    How much space do you have were you live? If there's space you could rent a shipping container. It would be very tight but a 40' one could work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by flynntuna; 02-07-2017 at 08:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Buy the Kit, have Mike Everson pick it up in Wareham, have Mike build it, then Mike will ship it to you ready to drive. Problem solved.

BigUgly
    FFR 6760 Mk 3.1 Fortes Dart 427 TKO 600 3.55 3 Link Solid Axle

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's one that's not expensive that you could use if there is enough land where you are, to erect it. You could sell it after, or take it with you.

http://www.globalindustrial.ca/p/out...FUSSfgodexACPA

Post Thanks / Like
    You can check to see if something like this is an option near where you live/work [http://www.garagesoftexas.com/]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by UnhipPopano View Post
    You can check to see if something like this is an option near where you live/work [http://www.garagesoftexas.com/]
    I get a 404 error message on the link.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    How much of a yard do you have available to you? There are some pretty nice affordable tent garages now, ShelterLogic comes to mind (Home Depot sells them online).

Maybe, you could approach a local tech school about having some aspects of the car assembled by students and they might let you build it in their garage? The assistance could be nice too with some aspects of the build, wire harness comes to mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    My advice would be to buy one used. It will cost less and eliminate the build space issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shinn497 View Post
    any other ideas. eh well. might have to buy a house oh well.
    Where are you? Ontario? Somewhere in the IE,right?

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Dave I moved! I live in DC now. Welp Herndon VA!

On a side note. There are some possibilities turning up. I've seen garages for rent for project cars on craigslist! Also a buddy of mine is starting up a shop so we'll see!

Post Thanks / Like
    We live in a floating home on the Columbia River, no garage. Rented a 20x30 storage unit nearby, makes an awesome shop.
    Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ok so that is something I was wondering about. I considered looking into storage units. BUT don't they have rules and liabilities against this? Also would you have access to lighting and power? This would be super ovious so I'm sure they would take notice.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi shin,

I don't know if my experience was unique but probably not. When I was ready to build my first car, I had the same problem as you. A friend suggested that I should attend a Stroller's meeting. It was a car club in Chattanooga. Well, long story short, I used the club garage and welder to do most of the build and storage during that period. If you are lucky enough to have a similar group in your area, take advantage of it. You will also find like minded individuals with lots of experience to share.

Hope you are able to find a good solution.

WEK
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have a municipal airport nearby? My shop is a hangar at one that is about 10 minutes from my house. Although most airports require that you have an airplane, many of the smaller muni or private ones will rent you a small T-hangar or some space in a larger communal hangar.

Mine is part of a private condo association that is on the airport grounds, so I actually own it - as such, I've sort of grown into the space... proving that nature abhors a vacuum and an empty shop.

Before....

After....

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I sold my house after starting my build, and had no garage. I built and painted my coupe in a storage unit. I had three 10 x 20' units with the interior walls removed, giving me a 30 x 20' space. I kept the coupe and garage there six years until recently buying another house.

Rob
    FFR #2296 428 FE, TKO, IRS. Sold 6/2006
    FFR #0189CP Completed 6/2015 331, 3-Link TR3550, FAST EZ EI
    1946 Mercury Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shinn497 View Post
    Dave I moved! I live in DC now. Welp Herndon VA!

On a side note. There are some possibilities turning up. I've seen garages for rent for project cars on craigslist! Also a buddy of mine is starting up a shop so we'll see!
    What a coincidence, I work in Herndon. Other than Dulles airport, there aren't too many other municipal airports in the area. The one in Leesburg offers T-hanger rentals but there aren't any available right now and they are not cheap. Also, storage units don't seem too cheap either around here and many have restrictions on hazardous chemicals (i.e. gasoline). I hope you find something, it would be cool to have another builder in the area. You could try finding a rental property with a garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a Rhino garage. It was 12' tall and 20' long. I could fit the car, all my parts and tools no problem. I bought stall mats (for horses) and lined the floor so I wasn't in the dirt. I ran wiring and lighting along the metal studs. Cost me $1,000 for everything and held up through new england weather. I would post pics but all my pics are "too big" to post here.