Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Driver footbox vents?

Post Thanks / Like

Driver footbox vents?

Where do most folks typically route ventilation into the Driver side footboxes? Entry from the body side would make more sense but not sure how much room there is between the footbox L side and the body?
    Last edited by Jacob; 02-02-2017 at 10:42 AM.
    MK IV complete Kit - 1st time builder started Sept 2016
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS
    Power steering - Levy setup, Breeze roll bars, Thompson trunk box
    fuel injection, powder coating, sway bars, heater, wipers, 17 in wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Earl's style FB vents?
    I first installed mine on the top of the FB, I was told it would work and the flexible tubing would accommodate it.
    DON'T DO IT! Yes it will work, BUT it restricts the flow so bad that there is almost no air flow at all.
    When I pulled the body off for paint, I moved it to the front of the box (and also fab'd a heat shield over the headers to avoid melting the hose and keep the air cooler).
    The location is the front of the FB, near the body, about half way up. Also be sure to check for clearance with the side vents, it is close.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Straight in from the front side. I made my own stainless butterfly valves because I just couldn't make the gate valve fit like I wanted. I put a PVC elbow on the inside to point the air over my legs. I also used a hi temp hose.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by boat737; 02-02-2017 at 11:27 AM.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks boat, the pics will be extremely useful...thought it was gonna be a chore!
    MK IV complete Kit - 1st time builder started Sept 2016
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS
    Power steering - Levy setup, Breeze roll bars, Thompson trunk box
    fuel injection, powder coating, sway bars, heater, wipers, 17 in wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine run from the oval inlet on the left side of the radiator to midway up left side of the front of the driver's foot box. I made some brackets that mimic the original style brackets to hold the ducting, too.

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm running vents on both sides.
    I used Attwood Blowers, Spectra 3" Ducts & used a pair of slightly modified mass air sensor ring mounts.
    The passenger side has a Jeep CJ3 heater core mounted under it and a four seasons valve that is controlled by a choke cable.
    The wires run inside the ducts so that they are hidden as well as protected.
    Check Out My Heater Album or look at the attached YOUTUBE video to see where I placed them:

https://youtu.be/_wnHDNgnNqs
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 02-02-2017 at 11:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Installed Cobra Earl footbox vents in my MK4 and 2500+ miles later I can't say they've ever been turned on. The vents are open all the time but I've not had a need for the fan.

-Fred

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's another shot of mine where it enters the footbox. I used PaulProe vents (a member here) that are pretty close to what you'd see on one of the original cars. These don't have any blower on them, though, so I only get airflow when moving. Since I live in the country and don't really drive in stop-and-go traffic much, that has proven quite sufficient for providing cool air to my feet.

Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    While we're at it, what's the best location for the PS vents?
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    While we're at it, what's the best location for the PS vents?
    Top of the foot box works great and is where they were on the original cars....

Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Outside top corner for me. (the inner hose is intake for the heater blower.) Again, I made my own butterfly valve to fit in the corner space.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    For the passenger, top of the box is perfect, plenty of room to route the hose. I wish the drivers side box were as easy...
    blowers.jpg