BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  24
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Please Graduate Roadster 8901

Post Thanks / Like

Please Graduate Roadster 8901

This is a long overdue graduation thread as I now have 1,000 miles on the car but better late than never.

I love this car! If I had to do it again, I wouldn't change a thing.

Love the Coyote/TKO-600/IRS drivetrain. Thank you Mike Forte.

I had a pretty good build plan in place when I started but I didn't have a strict budget or timeline and found myself at the forum's mercy to spend money on aftermarket options. Thanks to all of the forum vendors. I'm pretty sure I bought something from all of you and I am happy with the quality, service and responsiveness I received from all of the vendors. I won't list them all since they are all called out in my build thread as the components were installed.

I love the paint. Huge thanks to Jeff Miller! No matter what you do as a builder, the paint is what people notice first and last. Blue and white is not for everyone, but this is the car that I've seen in my head since I was a kid and now it sits in my garage. Still unbelievable.

Thank you to Paul (EdwardB). Your 20th anniversary build thread helped me and inspired me beyond description. Thanks to Dave Hodgkins, WareagleScott, Gumball, Jeff Kleiner and to the entire forum community. I would not have taken on this project if I hadn't come across this forum and realized that there would be an amazing level of help available if I got stuck.

Last of the thanks goes to Dave Smith and the FFR team. The MK-IV is a great car. If you buy one completed, you are getting an amazing machine. If you are fortunate enough to build one, what a fantastic experience.

Here are a few photos and quick video of my completed car at one of my favorite spots. Not a bad place to be on New Year's Eve, 2018.

Short video.

https://youtu.be/Co8R7ivWN9I

Last Thoughts:

As I was packing up my receipts and documents I came across this magazine. I find it fitting to end this thread with the magazine that got this all started for me.

I had never bought or even seen a Kit Car Magazine before, but I saw this in a grocery store and the caption "You Can Do It" grabbed me. I bought it, read it cover-to-cover about a 100 times. I think I fished it out of the trash a dozen time as my wife couldn't believe I still wanted it. But this was the beginning of a great experience for me. This magazine unveiled the brand new Mark-IV, explained the SB-100 registration process, showed me that the wiring was doable and described the FFR community with a write up on the 4th annual Huntington Beach Cruise-In.

I think that was 7 or 8 years ago. When Dave Hodgkins showed me that you could modify these cars for the big and tall, there were no more barriers to overcome.

Lastly, thanks to my wife Dana. What was that...., order another one? Thanks dear!

-Steve
    Last edited by Straversi; 01-01-2019 at 01:51 PM.
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

2. Likes MVRight liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good job Steve. I've finally got mine back off the jack stands, and is running again. Time for some cruises with you.
    Last edited by boat737; 01-01-2019 at 07:47 PM.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

4. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations of finishing a fantastic looking MK4. Wish you many years of fun with it.
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

6. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great, love the seats!
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

8. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nicely done. Pls tell us more about the seats.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Steve. Looks awesome. Even if it's blue. Lots of cool touches. The intake on the Coyote is especially nice. Thanks for the shout out. I have a blast doing the build threads and really rewarding to see others get something from them. Be safe and have fun with it.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

11. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Steve! It was great to have met up with you at Huntington Beach and SEMA and is fantastic to see the car all wrapped up---it's exceptional

Jeff

13. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steve-

As others have already remarked, the car is exceptional!! I really enjoyed following along on your build, and I take pride in saying that I stole a couple of your ideas!

Congratulations on getting her all wrapped up! I know you will get tons of enjoyment from her.

Regards,

Steve

15. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Steve! Looks beautiful and never gets old driving her! Love the seats and the intake.

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

17. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Steve and enjoy! Thanks for the advice with my build along the way....
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

19. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Steve,

Very nice quality build she looks AWESOME!! I love the blue. I am headed down tomorrow morning from Tacoma, WA to pick mine up at Jeff's its blue also. You cant go wrong with blue on these cars. I took some inspirations from you on my build. Thanks again for the license plate 3D printer file. I love the dimple die you used all around your car.
    MKIV #9122 Ordered kit 5/24/17 received kit 8/11/17 MK4 Base kit +,First Start 4/7/18, First Go-Cart 4/22/18, In gelcoat, licensed and driving 8/11/18. Coyote gen2, T-56, 2015 IRS 3.31, 17" Halibrand replicas w/Nitto NT555 G2, Withby Motorcars power brake kit W/Wilwood pedals, 04 Cobra front brakes, 15 Mustang rear brakes with mods, power steering. Paint Jeff Miller Da Bat, Lexus Spectra Blue Mica W/Toyota Silver Sky Metallic strips. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Paul2STL-Build

21. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations.... As I think I've told you, your build thread was the very first one that I started reading. Have been back to it many times, and of course Paul's... But this is about your awesome car... I look forward to the privileged and opportunity to some day park my roadster in the same parking lot as yours...

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

23. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful build! One to be proud of. Hope you enjoy her for many happy miles.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

25. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Very nicely done. Pls tell us more about the seats.
    Thanks to everyone for the kind words and responses. Very much appreciated.

Gary,
    Those are the basic Kirkey Vintage seats but I reshaped the sides with some guidance from (Gumball) Chris. I have some photos on page 4 of my build thread.

I had a very good upholstery shop do the leather work with the stainless steel grommets. The idea was to emulate the look of the racing GT-40 seats. I added seat heaters and I built a fan into the back of the seat backs so they blow through the grommets for functioning ventilated seats. This wasn’t really necessary but I had the idea and wanted to see if I could pull it off. They work quite well. More details and photos on page 6 of the thread.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve
    Congratulations. Great job.
    Eddie
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

28. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats, very nice! I like what you did with the Coyote, it looks more old school.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

30. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The car looks great Steve, Congrats.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

32. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm a Keep It Simple Stupid<>Less Is More kind of guy, but man you nailed an over the top build with style and elegance.
    Amazing, Simply Amazing So Please Share With Us Your Kool Kustom Kirkey Upholstery Konfiguration If You Don't Mind!
    So many subtle touches make your over the top build appear to be understated.
    Elegantly Amazing Indeed!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-02-2019 at 09:59 AM.

34. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steve -

What a beautiful end result - you're sure to enjoy the ride in that car! Awesome job on the interior, too - love what you did with the seat covers.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

36. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Steve...
    Looks Awesome..!!

38. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great job Steve. Really enjoyed following this build!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

40. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    OUTSTANDING looking build. Love the Door Threshold trim idea for the trans tunnel. (Probably going to copy that idea)
    Enjoy......You have some of the best roads and scenery to enjoy in that beauty.

42. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    I'm a Keep It Simple Stupid<>Less Is More kind of guy, but man you nailed an over the top build with style and elegance.
    Amazing, Simply Amazing So Please Share With Us Your Kool Kustom Kirkey Upholstery Konfiguration If You Don't Mind!
    So many subtle touches make your over the top build appear to be understated.
    Elegantly Amazing Indeed!
    Thank you for the comments. Always great to hear from The Dell.

Most of these photos are in the build thread and there are more for those inclined to page back...

Original concept and sketches.

Before and after shot of the reshaped sides. (Idea borrowed directly from Gumball)

Air plenum attached to the back of the seat.

12 x 1" holes in the seat back for ventilation. I mounted my seat directly to the floor with two 5/16" bolts through the seat pan into nut insets in the 2 x 2 frame. Also put a bolt directly through the seat back into the 2" upright frame tube with nutsert. Made an odd trapezoidal spacer for the gap. This presented a challenge for the upholsterer. He had to make his seat pads removable so I could get to the bolts. The grommets in the seat back pad had to align with my vent holes.

The upholsterer made a cover that slipped over the back and sides. The seat pads are held in place with snaps on the back and under the lip in front and with velcro. The bottom pad has an aluminum base. He was worried that if it was just a cushion it would distort over time.

Finished seat. He was going to do the edges with piping like the original seats but when he saw how I have to press myself out of these seats to get out (tall man exit), he felt like the stitched edges would hold up better than piping.

Installed. The seat heaters are above the grommets in the seat back and behind the grommets in the seat bottom.

Overall, super please with how these turned out.
    Last edited by Straversi; 01-02-2019 at 03:42 PM.

44. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Driver View Post
    OUTSTANDING looking build. Love the Door Threshold trim idea for the trans tunnel. (Probably going to copy that idea)
    Enjoy......You have some of the best roads and scenery to enjoy in that beauty.
    Thanks,
    It doesn't jump out in photos but that's one of my favorite mods.

-Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Very Special build! Thanks for all the updates and great seeing it at Huntington Beach. Finishing these works of art only leads to the next step. Enjoy the heck out of it. Jim
    20th Anniversary MK4 Roadster, #8752, 18 of 20, Delivered 12/03/15, 1st Start 01/28/2017, off to paint 4/13/2017, Forte 351w/ Holley EFI, Forte throttle linkage, TKO 600/Forte Hyd. Clutch, UniSteer Electra Steering, RT's turn Signals, many Breeze parts, Paint by the Jeff Miller. Finished on 10/08/2017. 500 mile inspection on 10/21/2017, 3000 mile inspection on 1/14/19.

47. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gorgeous! Congratulations and happy cruisin.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

49. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome build !!

Lots of really nice touches.

Enjoy !
    Mk4 #9165, Base Kit with lots of options, Delivery on 08/17/2017, Coyote, TKO600, 2015 IRS, 18" Halibrands, 12.99" Wilwoods

51. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice, love all the details and colors is dynamite..
    Dan

53. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Well done brother.....this is one tight build....TIGHT ! TIGHT, TIGHT, TIGHT !....now, go run down a peacock just cause ya can (inside comment guys, don't try to understand)...da bat

55. Likes Straversi liked this post