Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Evans Waterless Coolant > Have Any Of You Used This Stuff?

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Evans Waterless Coolant > Have Any Of You Used This Stuff?

Hey Gang,

Have any of you ever used Evan's Waterless Coolant?

1. Did it raise your operating temperature?
    2. Did you see spikes or was your operating temperature stable?
    3. Did you see any decrease in cooling performance?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Just my take.
    What do the high end OE cars use? GM has had cooling issues with the new Vette and if it could be helped with a better coolant... I seriously doubt that coolant price drives choice on Bugatti or Ferrari, so what do they use? They are the ones with the capacity to do objective testing and why wouldn't they use a superior product?

Next would be for race track compliant. What do the guys who can afford to test use? Firms like Pratt and Miller have the resources and I would follow them long before following anecdotal findings on a forum.

EDIT: Just checked my Motus paperwork. This is a $43,000 bike where pretty much everything in it is top shelf and all chemicals are the best you can get. The motor was designed by Katech and further refined by Pratt & Miller. The manual specifies that the engine be protected to -36f with coolant meeting ASTM D-3306 and ASTM D-4340. It also states that the coolant installed from the factory is glycol based, but does not mention brand.
    Last edited by mikeinatlanta; 02-27-2017 at 07:53 AM.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't used it, probably won't.

The specific heat is much less than water so the flow volume may have to be greater to transfer the same amount of heat. The boiling point is much higher than water but that is one of the great things about water. As it boils it sucks up a huge amount of heat, cooling local hot spots. I would expect for the new stuff to work well the cooling system would have to be redesigned.

Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Hey Gang,

Have any of you ever used Evan's Waterless Coolant?
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Steve,

I have used the Evans product in a couple of other cars I own, most specifically my 1972 Detomaso Pantera (351 Cleveland) which previously had some overheating issues. It's a good product and functions as advertised in my view. You have to completely get all of the water and coolant out of the block first or Evans coolant will fail due to water contamination. In my experience it did raise the baseline operating temperature but only about five degrees. However, the temperature remains very stable throughout the range of operation regardless of ambient temperature. There was no real decrease in cooling performance. I plan on using it in my 289 USRRC FIA.

Joel

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by japollon View Post
    Hi Steve,

I have used the Evans product in a couple of other cars I own, most specifically my 1972 Detomaso Pantera (351 Cleveland) which previously had some overheating issues. It's a good product and functions as advertised in my view. You have to completely get all of the water and coolant out of the block first or Evans coolant will fail due to water contamination. In my experience it did raise the baseline operating temperature but only about five degrees. However, the temperature remains very stable throughout the range of operation regardless of ambient temperature. There was no real decrease in cooling performance. I plan on using it in my 289 USRRC FIA.

Joel
    Thanks Joel,

I remember seeing this stuff on an old episode of Jay Leno's garage and since my block is 100% dry right now, because I just wrapped up the cooling system, is why I was considering using the Evans product.
    I'm still not 100% sure if I'll go with it or not, but am very glad to get your 1st hand accounting of it and what I can expect if I go down that path.
    While I'll likely use the regular Dexacool fluid that I use in my Corvette, I just wanted to hear the opinion of an actual user of this product.
    Thank-O-Million Joel & Thanks To You All For Chiming In!

Steve