Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: MK IV IRS and Drop Battery Box?

Post Thanks / Like

MK IV IRS and Drop Battery Box?

Anyone running the Mk IV with IRS and the drop trunk battery box notice the box touched the top of the gear housing or the top mounts? No immediate acceptable solution popped in mind, ie shortening the box or raising it. I am considering putting a bed of silicone between the contact points. I do not think it will be an issue, rear housing should move very very little and the battery box should not move at all. Thanks for any constructive insight.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I would shorten or jack up the box to get 1/2 inch clearance. Nothing would be hurt w/ slight contact but I think you will get sound transferred into the body/frame.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, had the same issue. I ground the corners off the drop box (bench sander) and eliminated the interference. Didn't have to remove very much material and the box is still rock solid.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    Yes, had the same issue. I ground the corners off the drop box (bench sander) and eliminated the interference. Didn't have to remove very much material and the box is still rock solid.
    -Steve
    Thanks for the excellent suggestion. I am guessing the battery is not exposed to contact through these openings.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Correct, the battery is not close to corners. I didn't have to remove much material, maybe a 3/4" x 1/4" x 1/4" corner. I drilled/filed the corners round to prevent cracking. Also, after I sanded it free of interference, I cleco'd it in place and thought I had it beat. When I installed it permanently with bolts and rivets the rivets drew it in tighter and I had to go back and open the corners a bit more.
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the IRS and FFMetals dropped battery box in my MK4. Only thing I did was grind off the forward corners of the box at the bottom and it fit fine. It is a tight fit though. I have about !/4 clearance which should be enough as I don't think the center section will move much if any during driving.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I Raised the box so the top will be the same height as the carpet and the front edge clears the diff.
    20th Anniversary MK4 Roadster, #8752, 18 of 20, Delivered 12/03/15, 1st Start 01/28/2017, off to paint 4/13/2017, Forte 351w/ Holley EFI, Forte throttle linkage, TKO 600/Forte Hyd. Clutch, UniSteer Electra Steering, RT's turn Signals, many Breeze parts, Paint by the Jeff Miller. Finished on 10/08/2017. 500 mile inspection on 10/21/2017, 3000 mile inspection on 1/14/19.