Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Has my brake pedal been modified

Post Thanks / Like

Has my brake pedal been modified

Can anyone tell from these bad pictures if brake pedal has been modified? The distance from pivot to master cylinder rod is 2.25 center to center.
    I do not see any welding on it. It looks to be mounted in the lower hole but difficult to tell I see no holes below were it could be mounted. This is a MK1

Thanks Kato
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    There are at least two methods of shortening the brake arm for manual brakes. The cut and weld in between the pivot and the push rod pin and the cut and drill a new hole through the arm and put the bushings at the new hole. Looks like yours has had the second method done.
    The other thing I noted from your pictures is the pushrod is not going straight into the master cylinder. This will be putting a side load on the piston resulting in less braking for the pressure applied. You have an offset pushrod so you can fix this by disconnecting the pushrod at the pedal and turning it so the offset is up. This will also increase your leverage.

HTH

Norm
    Mk4 base kit 7721, 331 Stroker, Holley Sniper EFI, Wipers, Heater, Whitby Soft Top, Drop trunk mod and more

Post Thanks / Like
    It has been modified. Looks like a very nice cut and weld job. I can tell because it still has the factory pivot at the top. Or it could be a very rare manual pedal from Ford. Some of the very early fox cars could be ordered with manual brakes. Your pushrod is upside down though. Take it off and rotate it 180 degrees.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mike and Norm saved me from cutting the top of my foot box. I will be flipping master rod today car has way to much brake pedal pressure to stop, hope this helps.
    Kato

Post Thanks / Like
    The early FFR cars using the stock Mustang pedal box instructed the builder to change the pivot point for the mc pushrod. This was due to the conversion from power to manual brakes. Not sure what the distance was (old manual would specify) but I remember the instructions were to just drill a new hole further down the pedal. Looks like someone did a different approach to modify the pedal.