Folks should be aware that the IAT in a aluminum intake manifold is generally discouraged for an SD only tune. The reason being the aluminum manifold will heat soak and hold quite a bit of heat for awhile. That heat soaks the entire sensor which again takes awhile to cool down. The results are IAT sensor temps reading too high, the ECU thinks the air temp is high (less dense) so compensates by leaning out the fueling, Too lean AFR = boom.

It's not a concern with a hybrid MAF-SD tune.

On my 2005 STI race car build I originally had planned on putting the AEM IAT sensor in my STI intake manifold but Cobb Surgeline strongly advised against it. They told me to move it to my FMIC piping close to the throttle body. The FMIC piping is very thin and will cool quickly when air is moving thru it once the engine starts running. Even then they told me a wideband AFR gauge or data display is highly recommended and to advise drivers first pulling out of the pits onto the track to keep an eye on the AFRs for a lap or too.

There was no room right in front of my throttle body and in my case moving a bit upstream put the IAT sensor directly above the turbo which I figured was a bad idea if I'm avoiding heat soak sitting in the pits/paddock. So I moved it further upstream, basically to the same engine bay location as the OEM MAF-IAT would be located. It looks like the coolest place in the engine bay for it to go.

I still have an unused 1/8" NPT hole available in my STI intake manifold so I may put an IAT sensor there just to log the delta between the two sensors for curiosity. I also have 3 x 1/8"NPT bungs available right behind my air filter I may use to compare intake temps at the filter to intake temps at the throttle. And if I make airflow changes in the engine bay if it affects the air filter intake temps. You can see the open available hole in the intake and the three 1/8" bungs in the coupling behind the air filter in the second image.

IAT Temp Sensor.jpg......Engine Front.jpg