Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What was your first car?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting story about Vietnam and Germany. Who'd ever think that was the case, now looking back at it? Well, I'm glad you made it back, even if it was to Dugway.

My boss at the chem lab was a civilian, a Doctor that had been working there for ~25 years, so he was probably there when you were. Not that I remember his name. He retired just before I was transferred up to the health clinic. I worked for another civilian there. Also in to geology, and he always was trying to get us to go look for geodes. Now, I wish I had. They'd find them, take them to the craft shop to cut an polish. I see the same things now in stores for big bucks that people there used to just go find and finish in their spare time.

I looked up the current English Village map after reading your comments. It looks like things have changed a lot since I left in late 1992. The health clinic has a new building. The fitness center is now called Shocklee Fitness Center, named after a Ranger Master Sargent that died after a training accident on a night jump. I was working at the health clinic when that happened, and was involved with his treatment prior to transfer via life flight. I didn't know they named a building after him.

The old barracks closed while I was there. They moved us all to what had previously been the visiting officers quarters. There were that few of us left. Based on the current map, it looks like they built a new barracks building, so maybe there's more there now. Poor souls.

The Auto Craft Shop (a.k.a. motor pool garage, but off hours) was where I first started wrenching on cars. They'd let you use any tool or equipment they had, and even teach you how to use it. I had the Bronco for about 2.5 years, and then got the Firebird and built a 350 to swap into it. My friend had a 1982 Mustang that we pulled the I4 out of and replaced with a 302 - after we did everything we could think of to increase the output of the 4 cylinder. We did all this at the Auto Craft Shop.

So, I guess I enjoyed my time there as well. Not the chem lab, but working at the clinic was a good experience. And the Auto Craft Shop. I'm an engineer now because of the experiences I had at that motor pool outside of their normal working hours. Good stuff.

Anyway, PM me if you want to reminisce about Dugway some more.

Back on topic... 1967 Ford Bronco. Wait, I already said that. Sorry.
    Roadster #9146. Complete Kit, 363 w/Jim Inglese Weber Carbs, Forte TKO600 w/Hydraulic Clutch, IRS, Wilwood Brakes, F & R Sway Bars, 17" Halibrands, Power Steering, Breeze Front Battery Kit, Herb's Door Panels, and who knows what else left to be added.
    Ordered 5/19/17. Delivered 8/18/17. Slowly Building.

Post Thanks / Like
    PM sent.