Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Graduation #8674, 20th Anniversary Roadster 03 of 20. 1,000 Mile Report

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Graduation #8674, 20th Anniversary Roadster 03 of 20. 1,000 Mile Report

This past week the state of Michigan has decided I’m legal, and today the odometer turned 50 miles. So here’s my graduation thread. This is my third Roadster build. I poured my heart and soul into Mk4 #7750, which replaced Mk3 #5125 sold to another local club member. But not long after I retired, I was restless to start another build. When Factory Five announced the 20th anniversary Roadsters, I knew right away that was going to be my next build. We were driving to Factory Five for the 2015 open house with #7750 in tow on the Friday they were officially offered for sale. The minute the website was updated with the final information, I was on the phone placing my order for 03 of 20 while sitting at a rest stop on the New York Thruway.

My intended use was similar to my previous builds with 99.9% street cruising. So performance was important, but so was relative comfort and drivability. My original build plan was for a 351 SBF based 427 with EFI. After looking at options, doing the math, and receiving numerous recommendations, with some trepidation I switched the build to a Coyote. We picked up Roadster #8674 at the factory in Wareham on August 5, 2015. The guys were great getting everything loaded into our SE and the back of our Durango. Here is my ever supportive wife Sharon doing her best Vanna White imitation before we hit the road back to Michigan.

Since the 20th Anniversary Roadster was pretty fully featured, many of the build decisions were already made. 2015 Mustang based IRS (I’m pretty sure I was the first customer delivery), big Wilwood manual brakes, 18 inch FF Halibrand wheels, front and rear sway bars, dual action Koni shocks, GPS Speedhut gauges, Ron Francis wiring harness, leather traditional style Roadster seats, silver powder coated frame and white powder coated engine facing panels, overriders and rear bumper.

In addition to the Coyote powerplant, my choices included a 3.55 ratio iron IRS center section, TKO600 with 0.64 5th gear, KRC power steering, Forte hydraulic clutch, custom competition style dash with custom glove box, all leather interior including dash, door panels and transmission cover, Lizard Skin heat and sound insulation, seat heaters with no space heater/defroster, wipers, fully carpeted trunk, dual chrome roll bars, 100% LED lighting including headlights, GP headers, GAS-N side pipes. Additionally a number of personal modifications and fabricated parts.

I documented this build in great detail in my build thread (link in my sig line) so won’t go into too much more detail here. The build was just over the target time of 1-1/2 years, which included many of the usual life events during the same time, the biggest for us was selling our home and buying another a couple miles away and moving. A lot of work and an interruption to the build. I received a pretty big surprise when I ordered the Coyote crate engine and found that Ford had just released the 2015 Gen 2 Coyote. There are many similarities to the previous version, but also a number of changes. It was an interesting learning experience, especially since much of it wasn't documented at the time.

The color is Ford Red Candy 2, code RZ and GM Arctic White. I added a black pinstripe to the outside of the stripes, and really pleased with how it turned out. The paint was completed by Motor City Solutions in Taylor, MI. The same shop that painted #7750. A custom shop that does stunning work.

I’ve had the new Roadster out several times, including earlier today for my wife's first ride and turned the odometer over to 50 miles. What can I say? It’s simply incredible. The Coyote runs beautifully. Sounds different than an old school motor that’s for sure. But the way it starts and drives is amazing. Throttle response is instant. Starting at 3,000 – 4,000 RPM and up, it’s pulls like crazy. But it's also quite happy putzing along at 1,500 RPM in 5th, as I found out today. The SBF’s in my other builds, after tuning, ran very well. But this is a whole other level. I couldn’t recommend the Coyote any higher, and really happy I got talked into it. I’m also extremely impressed with the IRS. My other builds were solid axle, so this is my first IRS build and first time ever riding in an IRS equipped Roadster. It’s another very nice upgrade. Even with less than ideal Michigan roads, the ride is comfortable and relatively compliant. Also highly recommended. The KRC power steering works great. I still need to bed the Wilwood brakes, as they feel a little hard. But this is also my first build with manual brakes. Stops fine, just have to get used to a little more muscle.

Thanks to the various vendors, many forum vendors plus some others, the amazing support and encouragement of the forum members, and support from my wife and family. I feel very blessed to have a hobby that I enjoy as much as this one. Without further adieu here are some pictures. These were all taken in my driveway in less than ideal conditions with some “interesting” backgrounds (sorry about that) but will do for now.

Last edited by edwardb; 07-30-2017 at 08:48 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.