Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: adjusting ride height

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chopthebass View Post
    But with the chassis on jack stands I can only take up the slack by hand, then I need to compress the spring a little. That's what I can't do.
    Really? Interesting. I've never had one that needed to be adjusted against the spring when the suspension is hanging. The recommended practice is to start with the adjusters barely snug against the springs, again with the suspension hanging. Then put it on the ground, roll back and forth a bit to settle the suspension, and check ride height. At that point, ride height for me has always been high. Typically an inch or more. Then the adjustment starts, a turn or two at a time, again with the suspension loose, and always turning the front and rear pair exactly the same amount. At that point, the springs start to get pretty loose when the suspension is hanging. That's why the instructions to use tie wraps on the shock hat to keep the springs seated in the hat. This process seems to work pretty well. I've been cautioned to not turn individual adjusters unless using corner scales. Always in front and rear pairs.

Do you have something other than the stock springs or coilovers? Maybe that's the difference.
    Last edited by edwardb; 05-09-2017 at 10:23 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.