Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: I did it : starting a new build (@Donor teardown stage) - Saratoga Springs, NY.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Update : well it's 2014 (3 years later) and I've only just completed first start.
    1) Sold the carcass of a Mustang shell for $600.
    2) Relocated the car & fam 3000 miles to the west coast & burned 9 months looking for a house while the car was in storage.
    3) Ditched the donor harness altogether and bought the Chuck's Electric's EFI harness to connect to the Ron Francis main harness.
    4) Connected gas lines to fuel rail with flexible hose & fittings from "Pure Choice".
    5) Removed EGR & ran vacuum lines.
    6) Radiator filler neck & hoses installed on the radiator.
    7) New coil installed on passenger firewall (although I am thinking to relocate near the master cylinder).
    8) Stereo & speakers all wired up (I know, you can't hear it when the engine is running).
    9) Connected the power steering hoses (using the ugly & odd-fitting Mustang OEM hoses).
    10) Added all fluids (oil, coolant, Type-F).
    11) Connected starter to the solenoid (seems simple now but felt complex at first).
    12) Added gas and then - First start SUCCESS! : 6/29/14 (that's 3 years and 2 days since I ordered the kit). This was real nerve racking but also satisfying when it actually fired up.

Maf2.jpgImg_1468.jpgImg_1456.jpgImg_1457.jpgExhaust2.JPGFirstStart-Cockpit.JPGFirstStart-EngineBay.JPGFirstStart-Solenoid.JPGfuel-line3.jpg

Here's a link to the first start video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JZ14nQumGM

Slow & steady. Next steps:
    13) Replace MAF + sensor with 24# calibrated BBK (to go with 24# injectors).
    14) Add a timing marker & dial-in the timing.
    15) Clean up the engine bay wiring (figure out a good tie down solution beyond zip-ties).
    16) Interior carpet.
    17) Install drive shaft.
    18) Figure out a cleaner looking radiator overflow solution.
    Last edited by jakester888; 07-07-2014 at 09:04 PM.