Out of Sight Audio

Visit our community sponsor

Thread: Joel's 818s Build Thread

Joel's 818s Build Thread

I am excited to finally be able to do this! I have never done anything like this and I am an automobile novice. I am beginning my adventure with this 818 kit that has crossed the country to end up in my shop. I am the third owner of the kit, but the first to do anything to it. The original owner (back in November of 2013) picked up a lot of the donor parts, but I don't think he actually had a donor car, so I am finding lots of little things missing. I am trying just now getting to assemble the front suspension, but I don't have any of the OEM bolts. This will be the first of many novice questions, but can anyone offer suggestions on ways to find them?

Hi & welcome to your build! Congrats on picking up a kit getting to work.

As far as advise; you're in the right place! This forum is probably going to be your best resource.

My $.02; go here http://ken-gilbert.com/impreza-manuals & download a user manual for a recent year WRX or Impreza (is your kit turbo or not). You are going to need something like that going forward.

As for missing OEM hardware, especially the suspension hardware, I did a lot of web & ebay searching to find part numbers, then purchased them (either locally or online) - I had to replace most of my hardware, but I don't know if I still have the part lists (I'll check).
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Hello and welcome, hopefully this thread will get you started on the OEM hardware needed:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-Slop-Removal]
    In some cases, you'll find that the OEM metric hardware is fine pitch, which may not be commonly available at your local hardware store. Then again, you may be able to replace some of the metric nut/bolt combos with more readily available English equivalents. Try to go for the high strength versions.

Also, if you don't already have a set of dial calipers, get one asap. These are indispensable for measuring diameters and lengths and can easily tell you what sort of bolt is needed. A thread gauge also helps for figuring out pitch.
    threadgauge1.jpg

Blog Entries
    Use any of the online subaru parts stores to track down the part number you need then buy the part off of ebay.
    http://parts.westhoustonsubaru.com/S...-4WDWAGON.html
    818S Chassis #288 2.5L 323hp
    Ordered: 9/19/14 Received Kit: 11/2/14 First Start: 5/31/15 First Drive: 6/7/15 Registered: 3/10/2016 Completed: 2/10/2017

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I will get the dial calipers and a manual and start searching for parts and pieces!

Quote Originally Posted by melnjoel View Post
    I am excited to finally be able to do this! I have never done anything like this and I am an automobile novice. I am beginning my adventure with this 818 kit that has crossed the country to end up in my shop. I am the third owner of the kit, but the first to do anything to it. The original owner (back in November of 2013) picked up a lot of the donor parts, but I don't think he actually had a donor car, so I am finding lots of little things missing. I am trying just now getting to assemble the front suspension, but I don't have any of the OEM bolts. This will be the first of many novice questions, but can anyone offer suggestions on ways to find them?
    Perfect place to ask questions. There are those here who cars on the road. Others (like me) are working toward that goal.

Another source for Subaru parts is: http://parts.subaru.com With part number in hand, browse eBay or other sources for the best price.
    ~ Mark

818C S/N 429ES: Start Date 1 September 2016
    2001 NB Miata LS3 V8 440 rwhp
    2004 Miata MazdaSpeed Factory Turbo

Okay, so the upper control arms seem like it shouldn't be that big of a deal, but I have spun my wheels on it all day! I have a kit that originated in late 2013 and it sounds like it was necessary to cut one of the threaded arm to make the length correct. Can anyone direct me to a thread that details this a little bit or share their experience in figuring this out? I think I have the passenger side meeting all of the criteria from my kit, but I can't seem to make the driver's side the correct length! I will post some photos of where I am with it if I can figure that out tomorrow. Frustrating day on something that I thought was going to be rather simple!!

Okay, so the upper control arms seem like it shouldn't be that big of a deal, but I have spun my wheels on it all day! I have a kit that originated in late 2013 and it sounds like it was necessary to cut one of the threaded arm to make the length correct. Can anyone direct me to a thread that details this a little bit or share their experience in figuring this out? I think I have the passenger side meeting all of the criteria from my kit, but I can't seem to make the driver's side the correct length! I will post some photos of where I am with it if I can figure that out tomorrow. Frustrating day on something that I thought was going to be rather simple!!
    Joel
    On the front left you have to shorten the stud 1" to allow for proper adjustment. see my picture.

leftfront.jpg

If you get stuck on something, Just go on to the next task. Then ask the question when you get back to a computer. The answer will be there in a few hours.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Joel
    On the front left you have to shorten the stud 1" to allow for proper adjustment. see my picture.

leftfront.jpg

If you get stuck on something, Just go on to the next task. Then ask the question when you get back to a computer. The answer will be there in a few hours.
    Bob
    Thank you! That is exactly what I needed to see and hear. I am okay with taking it a little slowly as long as I know it is not just because I am crazy!! I get the feeling I will have lots of these learning experiences along the way. It makes for good bonding time with my boys that are helping me with this project.

I have the front firewall all pieced together, per the instructions, but it seems like I read one thread about some small corner pieces of aluminum that also needed to be in place before moving forward. I have been combing threads and can't seem to find it again. Any suggestions on what that piece would be?

I have the front firewall all pieced together, per the instructions, but it seems like I read one thread about some small corner pieces of aluminum that also needed to be in place before moving forward. I have been combing threads and can't seem to find it again. Any suggestions on what that piece would be?
    No clue what corner pieces your talking about. Just continue on.
    There is a piece the goes between master cylinder and firewall to help seal that area.

Quote for Pirates of the Caribbean:
    the Pirates code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

The 818 manual is like this. More of a guideline than rules.

Since I'm working on my second 818. This is my manual:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/attac...9&d=1494045403

Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg fw.jpg (177.2 KB, 105 views)
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 08-13-2017 at 02:03 AM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    No clue what corner pieces your talking about. Just continue on.
    There is a piece the goes between master cylinder and firewall to help seal that area.

Quote for Pirates of the Caribbean:
    the Pirates code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

The 818 manual is like this. More of a guideline than rules.

Since I'm working on my second 818. This is my manual:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/attac...9&d=1494045403

Thank you so much for the info. Pirates is one of my favorite movies. As an automotive novice, the manual and these forums are my teachers! Your "manual" makes things so much simpler-I just need to figure out how to do all those things. Painstakingly slow, but making some progress everyday. Thanks again for the help!

Could you be recalling a thread about the " dead pedal " pieces on the inside corners of the firewall that the coolant tubes pass behind? I seem to recall a thread discussing the pros and cons of of installing them prior to the coolant tubes.
    If it was then you can put the pieces together and Cleco it to the corner until the coolant lines are done.

Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Could you be recalling a thread about the " dead pedal " pieces on the inside corners of the firewall that the coolant tubes pass behind? I seem to recall a thread discussing the pros and cons of of installing them prior to the coolant tubes.
    If it was then you can put the pieces together and Cleco it to the corner until the coolant lines are done.
    That was the one. If it doesn't make a big difference, I won't worry too much about it for now. I will see if I can find the discussion and decide if I need to do it. Sounds like it's not that big of a deal.