Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: The Solar Eclipse & Why We Should All Have Taken Tomorrow Off

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The Solar Eclipse & Why We Should All Have Taken Tomorrow Off

Hey Gents,

Like most of you, I'll be working when the lights dim during mid-day.
    What bugs me most about not taking tomorrow off is that I missed a great opportunity to cut my grass in the middle of the day with only 25% of the sun showing.
    Uggg, because I'll be on the ZERO turn shortly and there are very few clouds in the sky.

Steve

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://amp.timeinc.net/time/4882923...ew/?source=dam

What the eclipse will look like by zip code

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be flying during the eclipse. That should be interesting.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool animation!

Post Thanks / Like
    I work from home so will be out in the front yard getting a good view, albeit only 60-70% coverage. I'm already plan in the 2024 one which has the path of totality coming across Northen Maine.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    I'll be flying during the eclipse. That should be interesting.
    Now That Would Be Totally Worth The Cost Of A Ticket!

Better For You Since You Truly Get A Front Row Seat!

Sooooo Jealous & Be Safe Up There In The Wild Blue Yonder!

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually most people in planes will not get a good view. It's all to do with angle and speed the plane is traveling at. There is one flight by Alaskan Airlines that will purposely fly in a direction, speed and altitude to give passengers the best view. I think it flys out of Seattle at around 9am PST.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm retired and this is my wife's day off. We live in an area where it's 97% coverage. Since we have the day off, we're going to drive south into Nebraska or Wyoming based on cloud forecasts. It's only 100 miles to reach the path of totality. Snacks and lunch are packed as well as lawn chairs. Probably pull off the highway somewhere and sit back and enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm at work but it looks like my work plate will be a little light today. I should be able to get up on the roof and watch it, or hop on a training flight and catch it from a helicopter. We're over 99% totality here, but the forecast is calling for clouds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KDubU View Post
    Actually most people in planes will not get a good view. It's all to do with angle and speed the plane is traveling at. There is one flight by Alaskan Airlines that will purposely fly in a direction, speed and altitude to give passengers the best view. I think it flys out of Seattle at around 9am PST.
    I push back from Atlanta at 150 and taxi for about 15 minutes. Should take off about 205-210. The eclipse peaks in Atlanta at 235 with like 97% coverage. At 215 it is about 80% coverage.
    As my eyes are my livelihood I am hoping the sun is not in my field of view particularly at liftoff when we have the nose pointed up 20 degrees. I cant exactly operate the jet with eclipse glasses on. Guess I will just close my eyes and hope for the best! lol
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, it's come and gone. Peak time here in the Chicago suburbs was right around 1:20 PM CDT. It was close to 90%. It was too cloudy to see much. Watched broadcast from southern IL online. They had a good view!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    So we watched the weather and satellite images and chose Lusk Wyoming as our destination. Who'd a thought there would be traffic jams around Mule Creek Junction, Wy. I would be only a few hundred cars pass through there in a normal day. We were backed up for miles. Once we made it onto US85S we moved along fairly well with a few slowdowns. Made it to Lusk in plenty of time and found a nice park to set up our chairs and watch. It must have been a Minnesota homecoming as the majority of the cars were from there. Rather than fight the traffic on US18 we went east on US20 to Crawford NE where we had lunch and then headed north towards home. We still ran into a lot of traffic but nothing that slowed us down much. The viewing in Lusk was perfect. Temperature was in the low 70's until totality where it got quite cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    It seemed so odd how the birds all stopped singing, and everything seemed very quiet just as it happened. We still had lots of light, but it was definitely a weird light, almost as if it was filtered through a blue lens. Risked a welding helmet view of it for a few seconds at a time. Pretty cool to see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Can't wait to hear WarEagleScott's "Flying Like An Eclipsian" account of today's lunacy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Can't wait to hear WarEagleScott's "Flying Like An Eclipsian" account of today's lunacy.
    Total bust. Haha
    I sit in the left seat. Was heading South. Sun was off to right and above. Didn't even notice any darkness at altitude. Most overhyped event since New Years 2000!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Total bust. Haha
    I sit in the left seat. Was heading South. Sun was off to right and above. Didn't even notice any darkness at altitude. Most overhyped event since New Years 2000!

You Should Stretched The Truth Or Maybe Expanded On Something Interesting Viewed From The Cockpit!

Heck, A Big Old Fib Would Have Worked Too!!!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-22-2017 at 08:10 AM.