I took a little different approach on mounting my rear view mirror. At least I think it is new. Maybe it has been tried but I could not find a thread talking about it. Not sure it will work but I will give it a try and let everyone know how it goes. If someone has tried it and had issues, please let me know.

I read quite a few threads about rear view mirrors trying to find something I liked. It appears the three most popular methods are: 1. Mount the mirror on the top of the body as the manual instructs, 2. Mount to the top of the windshield with a custom bracket (Dark Water Custom for example), and 3. No rear view mirror and use better side mirrors. After reviewing options I initially decided to go with option 2 and make a custom bracket to mount the mirror to the top of the windshield. I started by trying to find a bolt and nut combination that would fit in the track on top of the windshield. What I found was that a #8 -32 nut will would fit width wise that would allow me to screw in a bolt without the nut turning. But, the nut was just a little thick to slide down the track. So I put the nut on a bolt (with a back up nut to keep it from turning) and ground it down. I took a little off at a time until it would just slide down the track. Then made two. Sorry, I don't have a picture of the ground down nuts. At this point I was going to fashion up a bracket but thought, why do I need a bracket. Why don't I just bolt the mirror to the windshield without the bracket. So that is what I did. Here is the finished product.

Here is a picture of the mirror from the driver's point of view.

I use a #8-32 stainless steel machine screw and the nuts I fashioned earlier. The screw had to be cut down a little. I bought 1/2" because that was the shortest I could find the local big box store. I probably took an 1/8" of an inch off with my dremel cut off tool. To prevent marring up the windshield (in the event I decide to change it) I placed black nylon washers between the mirror and the windshield frame. Here is the hardware I used (unmodified).

I have two real concerns:

1. I wonder if wind coming over the windshield at speed with move the mirror.
2. Keeping things tight. I am planning on using a little blue loc-tite on the screws to keep them tight. In combination with the nylon washers I hope this will be fine.

If this is a repeat, sorry. Let me know if you think this will work.