FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  24
Likes Likes:  101
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Yama-Bro's MK4 Build Thread - #9158 (Index in Post #1)

Post Thanks / Like

Yama-Bro's MK4 Build Thread - #9158 (Index in Post #1)

Hey Guys!

My kit arrived this weekend, so it's time to get this build thread rolling...

After about 30 years of dreaming of owning a Cobra I finally pulled the trigger and placed my order online during the June open house. I was planning on ordering it in September, but everything fell into place unexpectedly and I just "had" to do it.

When I was about 11 years old (30 years ago) my Mom caught me on the phone with another Cobra replica manufacturer. I was trying to get some info on their car and get them to send me a brochure (this was back before internet). My mom took the phone from me and proceeded to let the sales man on the other end have it. She explained to him that I was an 11 year old boy and had no business with one of these cars. Well, that just fanned the flames and here I am 30 years later with one in my garage.

My plan is to build this for an all around fun car. I'll be cruising around town (65%), hitting some scenic curvy roads (15%), going to a few car shows (10%), and doing a the occasional "for fun" track (5%) and autocross days (5%). I'm going for a vaguely vintage looking car with 15" billboards and the vintage gages. I have two boys that are 7 and 12. I'm really looking forward to working on this with them (and they are excited too). Since I have a family, a full time job, and many things going on, I'm planning on taking my time on this, so the build could be drawn out a little more than some of yours. It definitely won't be done in 9 months.

Here's what I ordered with the complete kit:
    -Frame setup for 302/351 engine and 8.8 straight rear axle w/3 link suspension
    -Powder coated frame
    -Uncut body
    -Power steering
    -Vintage gauge set
    -Stainless side exhaust
    -302 ceramic coated headers
    -Wind wings
    -Sun visors
    -Heater/defroster
    -Wipers
    -Driver and Passenger chrome roll bars(planning to make the passenger side removable)
    -Roll bar grommets
    -Center dash support
    -15" Halibrand wheels
    -Swapped the pre cut dash for a blank dash.

I'm also planning to get/do the following items to complete the build...
    -Gordan Levy's 4 piston Wilwood brakes for FFR's 15" Halibrand wheels
    -Mickey Thompson ST 15" tires (with Goodyear Eagle tire stickers or stencil)
    -For the power plant, right now I'm looking at a BluePrint Engines 347 with EFI, but could go a lot of different directions. I'm also looking at the BPE 306 and the BPE 427 with the Dart block (but that's out of the price range, probably even with an employee discount)
    -TKO600 tranny
    -3.55 gearing in the rear end along with a 31 spline axles and Ford Track Lok diff..
    -Glove box. I like the way the glove box looks in the dash, so I'm going to try to get it to work with the heater.
    -Dropped trunk mod
    -Battery relocated to the front or under the trunk.
    -Competition dash layout.
    -A second set of 17" wheels and tires for running on the track.
    -Would really like to do rectangular taillights.
    -I'm planning to paint it Viking blue with white stripes and blacked out wheels, although my wife and kids are pushing for lime green and black stripes.

I have a decent background of working on things, but I am no expert when it comes to building cars. Many of the steps will be new to me. I'm excited to learn some new skills. I'll be asking tons of questions along the way. Feel free to point out anything I've done wrong.

I also hope to contribute something to the forum during this build, whether it's a new designed part that others can use, a nice CAD drawing, or simply helping someone else in their build by showing my pictures and sharing my experiences.

Anyways...here we go...

Index:
    Post #2 - Delivery
    Post #7 - Inventory
    Post #23 - Body Removal (See post 101 for body buck drawings)
    Post #39 - Aluminum Panel Removal
    Post #41 - F Panel Prep
    Post #42 - Koni Shock Assembly
    Post #43 - F Panel Installation
    Post #50 - Lower Control Arm Installation
    Post #53 - Lower Control Arms, Shocks, Spindles, and Hubs Installation
    Post #55 - Steering Rack Installation
    Post #56 - Gordon Levy Racing Front Wilwood Brakes Installation
    Post #95 - Driver's Side Footbox Front Panel Prep and installation
    Post #96 - Tie Rod and Steering Shaft Installation.
    Post #101 - Yama-Bro's Extra Storage Body Buck Drawings
    Post #121 - Axle rebuild
    Post #178 - Gordon Levy Racing Rear Wilwood Brakes Installation
    Post #179 - Banana Bracket Installation
    Post #185 - Lower Control Arm Brackets, Lower Control Arms, Upper & VPM Banana Bracket Installation
    Post #186 - Axle Assembly Bolted to Frame & Rear shocks installed = Rolling Chassis!!!
    Post #208 - Fuel tank install
    Post #211 - Jeff Kleiner's quick jack mounting mod
    Post #222 - Heater hole in firewall and temp firewall install
    Post #229 - Pedal box install
    Post #233 - Tire Stickers
    Post #236 - Passenger side footbox fit, drill, and temp install
    Post #237 - Cockpit floor fit, drill, and temp install
    Post #244 - Driver's side footbox fit, drill, and temp install
    Post #250 - Trunk side panels; fit, drill, and temp install
    Post #256 - Russ Thompson drop trunk mod install and lower trunk floor fit and temp install
    Post #263 - FFmetals battery box install and upper trunk floor fit and temp install
    Post #266 - Sway bar install
    Post #269 & #284 - Flexible brake line install
    Post #286 - Girling brake reservoirs and mounting bracket installed
    Post #301 - Hard brake lines installed
    Post #316 - Pro-M Racing hanger and Aeromotive Stealth fuel pump installed
    Post #317 - Hard fuel lines bent and installed
    Post #326 - Fuel filter & bracket installed
    Post #329 - Flexible fuel lines installed
    Post #337 - Brake bleeding
    Post #346 & 347 - Fuse panel install and rough wiring harness laid out
    Post #348 - Heater install and passenger side foot box final assembly.
    Post #349 - Dash layout
    Post #358 - Dash hole cutting
    Post #362 - Fresh air/footbox vent cable pulls
    Post #376 - Glove box design
    Post #381 - Glove Box 3D printing, sanding, and assembly
    Post #390 - Glove Box door fabrication
    Post #393 - Dash locating with body on/Dash ends bent
    Post #397 - Dash mounting brackets
    Post #401 - FFR's Under Dash support brackets & footbox heater vents
    Post #409 - Dash support tubes & extension bracket.
    Post #412 - Bracket to attach passenger side of dash to frame
    Post #413 - Modification of vintage knobs
    Post #414 - Filing glove box screw holes prior to dash covering
    Post #415 - Dash vinyl covering
    Post #416 - Glove box internal paint and heat insulation.
    Post #419 - Dash assembled and placed in car
    Post #426 - Radiator & Fan Install (including Breeze upper/lower supports and fan shroud)
    Post #433 - Emergency brake lever assembly
    Post #437 - Glove box door welting
    Post #438 - Seats and dual locking seat sliders - Part 1
    Post #443 - Fuel tank vent tube
    Post #443 - Clutch cable
    Post #446 - Russ Thompson pedal install
    Post #449 - Firewall stiffener bracket fabrication
    Post #456 - Brake line heat shield
    Post #460 - Horns Installed
    Post #461 - Custom inner panels for upper level of trunk side walls
    Post #466 - Fire Wall extension panel
    Post #467 - Roll bars drilled
    Post #469 - Foot vents
    Post #476 - Firewall insulation
    Post #478 - Key switch anti-rotation and dash stiffening bracket
    Post #483 - Transmission and modifications
    Post #486 - Steering shaft bezel from replicaparts.com
    Post #487 - Dash wiring harness
    Post #494 - Parking brake cables & connection to lever
    Post #496 - Engine Story
    Post #518 - Front Drive system
    Post #521 - Tranny mated to engine
    Post #522 - Engine in Chassis, Clutch cable, headers, shift lever, Metco safety loop, Tranny A-frame, driveshaft
    Post #531 - Forte Mechanical Throttle Linkage
    Post #536 - Preformed radiator hoses
    Post #537 - Coolant overflow tank
    Post #541 - Flexible fuel lines to Holley Sniper
    Post #542 - 90 Degree oil filter adaptor
    Post #543 - Breeze power steering line kit
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 09-26-2023 at 07:59 AM.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Delivery day pictures...

The truck outside our place...

Helping Jerry unload. I had a crew of helpers. I had my Mom taking box inventory. My wife taking pictures, My Dad, brother and two sons moved boxes to the garage and my friend Jason and I lifted them from the back of the trailer. I'm the guy in the orange at the front of the car.

These guys couldn't wait to sit it in it...

A big THANK YOU to BPE...I wouldn't be doing this project so soon if it wasn't for the cool company that I work for.

Everything all packed in my garage stall so that my wife can get her car in the garage (that's part of the deal). Once I get inventory done, I'll find a spot for the boxes that allows me to work on the car...
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 10-17-2018 at 09:17 AM.
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! I am scheduled to pick up my kit at the factory on Sept. 16. I am excited to get started. thanks for doing the build thread and I will be watching your progress. Good luck!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! You are going to have a lot of fun building the car with those boys! I never made it to the BluePrint factory as my trip to Omaha didn't go as planned. My wife and I ended up leaving Denver at 6:30pm on a Thursday and we came back on a Sunday. I waved as we passed the bridge over I-80 each way.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Yama-Bro.

That sounds like a great build plan. Those boys are going to have a blast and will have memories that will last the rest of their lives. My kids are out of the house and didn't get an opportunity like you have. Enjoy it. They grow up fast.

I see you live in Kearney. I lived in a little town north of your, Ravenna. Didn't live their long, about a year. I travel to that area of Nebraska a couple of times a year. Maybe I will see you driving around when I am in your neck of the woods. I am looking forward to following your build.
    FFR MK4 Complete Kit #8952
    Build Thread
    Bodywork Thread
    3 Link Rear Suspension, Gordon Levy 347 SBF with T5
    First start Feb 20, 2017, First Go Kart March 5, 2017, Registered & Title April 25, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by srobinsonx2 View Post
    Yama-Bro.

That sounds like a great build plan. Those boys are going to have a blast and will have memories that will last the rest of their lives. My kids are out of the house and didn't get an opportunity like you have. Enjoy it. They grow up fast.

I see you live in Kearney. I lived in a little town north of your, Ravenna. Didn't live their long, about a year. I travel to that area of Nebraska a couple of times a year. Maybe I will see you driving around when I am in your neck of the woods. I am looking forward to following your build.
    I've been to Ravenna a few times. I know several people from there.

My boys and I did inventory on the 3rd box tonight. It probably took twice as long as it should have because every part we took out of the box had to be held up next to the car where it will go. Every time we did it my little guy's jaw would about hit the floor. LOL. It was pretty fun.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    I recieved more goodies in the mail tonight. Gordon Levy Racing Wilwood front and rear brake kits for FFR 15" Halibrand replica rims. Very Nice! Thanks Gordon!

Rear kit

Front kit
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 10-17-2018 at 09:21 AM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Rear drums?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CobraboyDR View Post
    Rear drums?
    haha, no, those are the emergency brakes. The discs are to the right, wrapped in yellow plastic. Not as obvious in the picture as the drum shoes. I haven't studied up on how it goes together yet, but I assume the shoes are inside the discs.
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 09-06-2017 at 10:30 AM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank-

Everything looks great. The boys looked pretty excited! You are going to have some pretty awesome memories to share with them! There has been nothing like the experience I have shared with my boys during the build! I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Good luck as you get started on your build. I know what you mean regarding a slow build. I too am taking my time with my build. Partly because my boys aren't around much to help me like they were when I started. Regardless, it is all worth it. Watching it come together is very rewarding!

Good luck selecting your power plant. BluePrint has many great choices, as you know. My 408 looks amazing, and I can't wait for first start!

I look forward to following along on your build!

Regards,

Steve
    Last edited by WIS89; 09-26-2017 at 08:36 AM.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    A Big Congratulations From The Big Easy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Don't hesitate to ask when you have issues. Lots of great/knowledgeable people willing to support you.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the comments guys! I will definitely be using the forum for support. I have a mechanical background, but am by no means a pro at building cars. A lot of the tasks will be all new to me, so there will be lots of questions. To me one of the big selling points of FFr is the forum.
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 09-08-2017 at 02:22 PM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yama-Bro View Post
    To me one of the big selling points of FFr is the forum.
    Amen Brother Yama-Bro, Amen!

Post Thanks / Like
    I finished up the inventory at the end of last week. Going into this I had the impression that inventory was going to be tedious, so I wasn't looking forward to it too much. However, once I got going on it, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I mean, how often does a semi drop off a truck load of performance car parts on your doorstep? I lingered through every box and admired each part. I can't think of a better way to get familiar with the car that I'm going to be putting together. When it was all done, only a few parts were left out...a few nuts and a couple screws. Really nothing major. A quick email to FFR got that taken care of. I did make copies of each inventory sheet and taped them to their corresponding boxes for future reference. I've already made use of that. There are a few items on backorder; front lower tubular arms, 3 prong flasher, door latch set, windscreen, driveshaft, and the passenger roll bar. There's a shipment coming tomorrow. Hopefully, it's the lower arms. While I was doing inventory there were a few parts that got my heart racing, so I snapped a picture of them...

The exhaust pipes. To me these just scream Cobra...

The gauges. I've always loved the reverse speedometers and I can't wait to try out some of these GPS features...

The headers. They are just pretty.

The fake knockoffs. I was expecting some cheap plastic cover to hide the lugnuts, so I was pleasantly suprised when I found some metal parts. Plus I wasn't expecting the fake spinners to actually thread on...

The last part that got me excited was the basic wood steering wheel. I just like the way it feels. I like the slenderness of the wheel. I like the finger grips on the back side. It reminds me of my Dad's 68 GTO steering wheel. Back in the days before the insides of our cars were completely wrapped in plastic.

Well, time to stop drooling and get busy with a body buck.
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 10-17-2018 at 09:59 AM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank-

I am still excited when I look at the car coming together in my garage. I even have a few parts sitting in my office. I have rotated in the gauges, steering wheel, Lemans cap, etc. They just look cool! My BluePrint engine looks amazing too of course! I even leave some of the cool looking parts laying out on my workbench, even though I don't need them yet, just so I can see a little bit of bling.

Good luck as you get started. I look forward to following along.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! I haven't put my steering wheel away yet either. I'm glad I'm not the only one that has the sickness. LOL. I haven't taken anything to my office yet, but that's a good idea.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Yama-Bro, you haven't posted for a while, how's the build going? I am watching you closely as we are almost related; My delivery was 9/15, my number is 9160, and I got a great deal from Pete on a Dart 427, even got him to put EFI on it for me! The rest of my set-up is very similar as well. Anyway, looking forward to watching your build.
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BB767 View Post
    Hey Yama-Bro, you haven't posted for a while, how's the build going? I am watching you closely as we are almost related; My delivery was 9/15, my number is 9160, and I got a great deal from Pete on a Dart 427, even got him to put EFI on it for me! The rest of my set-up is very similar as well. Anyway, looking forward to watching your build.
    Hi BB767! We are pretty close with our roadsters. Yours was probably right behind mine on the trailer. Are you doing a build thread?

My build is moving along, just not real fast. I'm working on the body buck right now. I ended up beefing up the design of the typical roll-over-frame buck so that I can store several of the kit boxes on the shelf and maximize my floor space. It has yet to be determined how much I can actually push once it's all loaded on the shelf, but I can adjust as needed once it's done.

Here's a preview...
    (See post #101 for the drawings of the buck)
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 12-07-2017 at 09:23 AM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    I think your buck frame will work well, as you know many of the boxes are not that heavy, the shelves will be a great place to put those. I have not started a thread, been to busy building! Have been following the build order in the book pretty much and am up to the fuel line install this evening. Keep going, it only gets better! Can you disclose what you are working on at BluePrint or is it classified?

(Tried to post a picture but failed, maybe Mr. Moderator can give me some direction?)
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BB767 View Post
    I think your buck frame will work well, as you know many of the boxes are not that heavy, the shelves will be a great place to put those. I have not started a thread, been to busy building! Have been following the build order in the book pretty much and am up to the fuel line install this evening. Keep going, it only gets better! Can you disclose what you are working on at BluePrint or is it classified?

(Tried to post a picture but failed, maybe Mr. Moderator can give me some direction?)
    You are way ahead of me, LOL. I'm excited to actually get started building the car.

I can't say what I'm working on at BluePrint, but the project I'm working on is a big secret. So big that, I can't even discuss it with most of my fellow employees (even some of the other engineers). It's one of those projects that has a cool code name...always fun!

As for posting the pictures. I asked the same question awhile back. Here's my post and the responses I received...Here
    I ended up using Flickr as my photo hosting site. I didn't like task of resizing each picture while hosting on this site. Flickr has that step a little more automated. Plus I think it does a better job at downsizing images and keeping them looking their best. The only downside I see to using Flickr is that some day they could do the same thing that Photobucket did and start charging for photo sharing.
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 10-06-2017 at 12:59 PM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! You get to work on cool engines at work and work on a cool car at home! Doesn't get much better than that! Keep us posted when the project is revealed. Not gonna mess with the photo thing, rather be out in the shop. Your excitement will be rewarded, it is satisying to see when your creation starts coming together in your own shop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Whoo Hoo!, We got the body off this weekend. The really fun stuff is within reach. LOL.

Cutting the contoured sheets for the body buck. I nested the front and back pieces onto one sheet of OSB like the manual shows. I used the newer layout for the rear of the MK4. It fit the curves like a glove.
    A drawing can be found here Here

The body buck in process. As mentioned above. I decided to beef the buck up a bit so I can store more on the shelf to free up some floor space. (See post #101 for the drawings of the buck)

My Dad and I removing the doors, trunk and hood...

It's free...

I thought the body was easy to remove, especially with this many helpers.
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 10-17-2018 at 10:07 AM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Inspecting the frame afterwards. We did find some damage to the very top of the dash hoop that was hidden under the body. I'm not sure if it's a big enough problem to mention it to FFR. My Dad has a porta power that may be able to bend it back to shape. You can see the waviness at the very top of the dash tube in the picture.

The boys attaching the pipe insulation for body cushioning. I decided to try stapling instead of the wire tie method. It worked great, was easy, and cheap. We'll see how it holds up over the life of the project.

Waiting for the buck...

Body on the buck. I got a lot of the boxes on the shelf. I left off the really heavy ones and the ones that I will be using soon (like the front and rear suspension). It's not to heavy for me to push myself, however I do need the help of another person to steer the opposite end. I used four swiveling casters. It may have been better with two stationary caster on one end.
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 10-17-2018 at 10:11 AM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you have lots of help! That's great. Regarding the bend in the dash hoop. Strange. With no damage to the body it must have left the factory that way. But if the bend is vertical (top to bottom) it doesn't matter and will be completely hidden by the instrument panel and body. You could leave it as is IMO. If it's horizontal, e.g. the dash won't lay flat against it, then yes it should be straightened. Shouldn't be hard to do. That's pretty thin material.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank-

Looks like a whole lot of smiles in that garage! It's very cool that your Dad and your boys are there to help.

Nice work on the buck; you will be able to pass it along to someone else when done, if you choose.

I look forward to following along. It feels great, doesn't it?

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    hey Yama-Bro,
    I would have to say the same I was sort of dreading the inventory, but like you found it way cool. While it took a fair number of hours it was of the wow I have been going through that set of boxes for 4 hours feels like I have only been out here in the garage for like 30 minutes. In the end I felt I have a much better understanding of the car its parts and how it goes together. I am a hands on sort of learner so no amount of reading moved my brain along as much as finally having my hands on the parts. I found myself a few times reading through the manual with the parts laid out on a table experiencing that ah-ha moment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Let The Real Fun Begin!

Congratulations!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Yama!

I echo Paul's comments RE: dash hoop.

Have fun

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Regarding the bend in the dash hoop. Strange. With no damage to the body it must have left the factory that way. But if the bend is vertical (top to bottom) it doesn't matter and will be completely hidden by the instrument panel and body. You could leave it as is IMO. If it's horizontal, e.g. the dash won't lay flat against it, then yes it should be straightened. Shouldn't be hard to do. That's pretty thin material.
    Paul and Jeff, thanks for the input!
    It appears to be bent mostly downwards, but the tube may have twisted slightly and intruded into the space that the dash would take up, so I may have to bend it slightly so that the dash will sit flat. I'll try to get a picture of it tonight, but I'll plan on bending it.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Frank-

Looks like a whole lot of smiles in that garage! It's very cool that your Dad and your boys are there to help.

Nice work on the buck; you will be able to pass it along to someone else when done, if you choose.

I look forward to following along. It feels great, doesn't it?

Regards,

Steve
    My brother was there too. We had all the "boys" of the family. =)

It does feel good!
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rrrose View Post
    hey Yama-Bro,
    I would have to say the same I was sort of dreading the inventory, but like you found it way cool. While it took a fair number of hours it was of the wow I have been going through that set of boxes for 4 hours feels like I have only been out here in the garage for like 30 minutes. In the end I felt I have a much better understanding of the car its parts and how it goes together. I am a hands on sort of learner so no amount of reading moved my brain along as much as finally having my hands on the parts. I found myself a few times reading through the manual with the parts laid out on a table experiencing that ah-ha moment.
    Yep, my feelings exactly. There's just so much to these cars that looking at pictures and reading posts doesn't really make complete sense until you actually see the parts in front of your eyes and have the parts in your hands.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a picture looking down at the bent dash hoop tube. It is bent forward (away from the dash) and down about .25" in both directions. It definitely looks like something was dropped or sat on it. I guess the good news is it won't interfere with the dash, but is it to big of a gap to cause other problems, if I don't bend it back into place?
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 10-17-2018 at 10:14 AM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yama-Bro View Post
    Here's a picture looking down at the bent dash hoop tube. It is bent forward (away from the dash) and down about .25" in both directions. It definitely looks like something was dropped or sat on it. I guess the good news is it won't interfere with the dash, but is it to big of a gap to cause other problems, if I don't bend it back into place?
    Yama-Bro,

I think I'd want it flat since whatever inward/outward curve it has will translate to the dash. One option would be to shim the dash and not try to bend the hoop. In any case, I'd call FFR. If it were bent during transport, I would expect to see damage on the body as well, so it likely left FFR's facility that way. At the very least thay may offer some compensation to make it right.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I would definitely call FF and show them what you received. Don't know what they might be able to do, but at the very least they should know about it. That's not acceptable. Shouldn't be too hard to straighten. Doesn't haven't be perfect. But no point in trying to work around that much of a curve when mounting your dash.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Guys, Just wanted to give an update on the dash hoop bend. I called FFR and explained what I found. They had me send pictures. They called back about 1/2 an hour later and explained that it's not a critical area and that the dash won't be screwed down at that point. They said I could leave it as is or try to bend it back, but in the end it will be covered and won't affect anything else. They suspected the damage was done during shipping and that something in the trailer must have deflected the body and bent the tube. I was cool with trying to fix it myself, so I was good with that explanation. Dan G ended up doing a lot more that I expected and offered me a parts credit. Factory Five has some great customer service! I'm impressed and happy!
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Bummer on the bent hoop. I have my chassis stripped and in a similar state right now in my garage. Do you want any pictures, perhaps with a similar straight edge aligned, or anything? I can get shots tonight and send them to you if you're interested.
    Roadster #9146. Complete Kit, 363 w/Jim Inglese Weber Carbs, Forte TKO600 w/Hydraulic Clutch, IRS, Wilwood Brakes, F & R Sway Bars, 17" Halibrands, Power Steering, Breeze Front Battery Kit, Herb's Door Panels, and who knows what else left to be added.
    Ordered 5/19/17. Delivered 8/18/17. Slowly Building.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mach'er View Post
    Bummer on the bent hoop. I have my chassis stripped and in a similar state right now in my garage. Do you want any pictures, perhaps with a similar straight edge aligned, or anything? I can get shots tonight and send them to you if you're interested.
    Hi Mach'er, Thanks for the offer on the measurements or pictures, but I think I can get it back to where it needs to be with what I have. If I change my mind, I'll let you know.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    I stripped her of her undergarments and she's as bare as the day she emerged from Factory Five's welding jigs...

We removed the aluminum panels this weekend. We started with the three back-of-the-cockpit pieces, then moved to the trunk, the driver's side floor pan, the driver's side foot box, and finally the passenger side foot box. I took a ton of pictures and used a black sharpie to label and mark all overlapping panels and frame tubes. On several panels I noted which direction is up, front of car and out (or engine bay). I also wrote the description of the panel and the part number (as found in the manual) for future reference. It seems pretty easy when the panels just come off the frame, but I figured I'll need all the help I can get to remember where and how they go together when it comes time to reassemble.

My youngest working on the trunk paneling...

A progress shot sometime Saturday night...

Wyatt, checking out the bottom side of the frame...

On to the passenger side. My son really took to taking off the panels. We had a lot of fun.

Naked...

Naked front view...

All the panels on the floor...
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 10-17-2018 at 10:20 AM.
    Serial #9158

40. Likes AgileYeti liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Your kids are going to be the biggest motorheads in your town when this is all over.
    Congratulations On Officially Joining The Family!

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast