Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818 Project Updates From Dave

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Again, its difficult to get thru all the new information. Here is a status report of sorts on the project. First of all I love the alt engine discussion as this car is designed to be a capable platform for more than one application (powertrain). Today I am going to review the 818 concept 1/4 scale model that RISD (Rhode Island School of Design) is working on. It looks like we will have 5 (!) scale models to be unveiled to you guys at one time. This way you guys will have FINISHED sample cars to choose from that will be dimensioned, accurate, renditions of the body designs for the 818. The Chassis work is far ahead of the body shaping so that is is not being worked on much right now. The fuel tank was a big deal and Jim has moved that behind the seat rather than under it, effectively lowering the seast height a ton, which was a big concern.

So, the next major step will be selecting the body shape of the car (and the next 2 or 3 shapes to be made in sequence). As I said before, the good news is that these scale bodies are then immediately going to full size CNC milling and our master shaper John will begine making molds immediately. The big question is WHEN will we unveil the models... The RISD model should be about done, I know Jesper is bringing CAD printed 3-D wheels to them this afternoon to complete the car. Three other cars are being done concurrently and the last car is being shaped full size in our shaping bay and scanned and actually reduced to 1/4 scale model to keep comparos apples to apples. The absolute latest unveil would be SEMA, but I am hoping to do this much sooner. Still I think its vital that we show ALL the cars (models) at the same time so that we give everyone a chance to vote/evaluate the cars and discuss launch sequence of them.

I was very clear after the design competition ended that we would go to scale models next, and then full size cars after that as major nodes. I dont think it will be possible to have a full size car (as we did with the yellow GTM at SEMA 2003) at SEMA this year as the most important step HAS to be body selection an community involvement post design contest.

As has been reported, we will intro body shapes for THREE purposes...

1. A body shape for track guys
    2. a fun exotic roadster that can be bought at $9,900 and completed at sub $15k, and
    3. a high-mileage model that will lead in radical design but deliver upwards of 65 mpg (our mule GTM powered by the same technology and built by West Philly team is already above 70 mpg).

All told, three models on the same (or very similar) chassis and ready for launch shortly after designs are found that light peoples hair on fire.

I have asked Dave to start in earnest (even 1-5 posts a day) getting all 700+ submissions up on this site (faster if he gets help).

I will TRY and get some spy shots of the models out shortly (we are also doing a full-size test shape that I might show a peek at), but will only show the full line-up of contenders at the same time.

Still work to do on the name as you guys rocked the name competition... still the little 818 nomenclature is starting to grow on me (remember that if all three models go to production, we have three chances at names based on product design and configuration).

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Smith; 08-31-2011 at 10:24 AM.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing