FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Some thoughts after selling a few FFR cars.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    People who lack the skills to build one are generally not likely to be happy owning one.

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike223 View Post
    People who lack the skills to build one are generally not likely to be happy owning one.
    I don't necessarily agree with this. I think if a person with limited skills bought a QUALITY build, then they could be perfectly happy. And that goes for any type of vehicle, not just a FFR. You could go out and drop $100K on a '69 Camaro and hate it too if it's not a quality build or has poor driveability (just because it cost six figures doesn't mean it's been built to high standards). Plenty of people have bought brand new vehicles only to hate them because they are in the shop more than being driven. Now if someone buys an FFR without doing their research on what they are like to own and drive, that's a different problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    So . . . nobody should buy a completed Cobra? Have you told all the buyers of finished FFR cars, or Superformance, or Backdraft? Think again.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, looking back at this thread I don't agree with this statement either. Not at all. There are about 100 members in our local club. Factory Five is well represented. Some built, some bought. Lots of other brands as well, e.g. Superformance, etc. But I wouldn't say that those who bought theirs versus building are any less happy owners. Certainly there's a lot of pride in owning and driving something you build. But it's not for everyone. Building one of these isn't only about skill (although it helps...). Some don't have the time, patience, tools, location, or would just rather drive than build.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    So . . . nobody should buy a completed Cobra? Have you told all the buyers of finished FFR cars, or Superformance, or Backdraft? Think again.
    No, that's not what I said.

It's just an observation that the unhappiest Cobra / replica / 69 Camaro / etc owners I've observed have been people who (often completely) neglected to develop any mechanical skills over the years and bought something they did not essentially understand and [could not maintain / could not find someone to maintain] to their satisfaction (unrealistic expectations - often on multiple levels).

Much like Gumball said here (but shorter):

Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post

If someone buys into any car thinking it's something that it's not, they will likely fall out of love with it quickly and move to the next bauble. Ditto someone who doesn't have either the ability, tools, or an available mechanic to maintain it - cars like this usually need a bit more fussing to keep running or to keep running right. I've seen many people get excited about jumping into the old car hobby, only to become frustrated by the time, expense, and often unreliability that their newfound toy represents. Again, those types tend to move on to the next hobby quickly.
    Last edited by mike223; 01-11-2018 at 03:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have to agree with Wallace, Gumball, and others that iterate that even if you may not have the complete skill set to build the car from soup to nuts, with fabrication and modification along the way, one can still thoroughly enjoy a hand build race machine for what it is. I am older and have known and driven older muscle cars without all the modern doodads that most ordinary folks can't seem to do without, and I cherish the interaction between man and machine at the most basic level. These are not toys (to some maybe) to be trifled with, these are unforgiving brutes that require you to pay attention and respect physics. I have never owned a vehicle with an automatic trans, and my wife learned on various manual things so even of I am not able to do a complete build, we will have a vehicle that I am sure I can maintain, and I feel when something is amiss I can repair it or get it repaired.
    Not everyone who desires and obtains a hand built presumes a cushy stereo filled ride. Some want to wrestle a bit with the metal to get it down the road. Just my $.02...