BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Battery location

Post Thanks / Like

Battery location

Hi guys,

Id like to preserve as much truck space as possible, so its either in the engine bay, or a box under the trunk floor. I'm looking to the group for pros and cons of each. Thanks in advance for all the imput.

John
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine sits on top of the passenger foot box, using a kit from Breeze. The standard Cobra/Roadster already has a rear weight bias. Add a full trunk and a full tank of fuel, and it gets worse. Moving the battery to the front right helps with balance.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_5908.JPGMine's mounted low down in the front passenger side to the 4" frame tubes , using Breeze battery relocation kit. Jim
    Mk3.1 Complete kit #6846 Delv. 12/20/08-- Finished 2/11/11, 89 302 EFI,T-5, 3-Link, 17" Halibrands, Nitto 555 245-315 tires, widened drivers footbox w/ dead pedal, extended passengers footbox,Sapphire Blue Met & Wimbledon White stripes,radiator stone guard shield, Build blog http://jimsffrcobrabuild.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Get the FFmetal box for the trunk floor. Out of site and no engine heat on the battery. Don't run the ground to the frame like FFR shows there is a huge current loss in steel. Run a ground cable to the front and the motor will spin like a top on hot starts. Breeze has the cables and a battery cutoff. You may also want to include a inline breaker or fuse since there isn't any provision in the Rf harnesss. If you have a badboy motor you may want to go to larger cables as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    breeze's box in the engine bay - it's very convenient, easy to access. engine bay heat isn't a concern for it. the battery is a little guy - group 51, for portable medical units and a honda odyssey - but i've never once had a problem with him trying to start.
    FFR cobra
    RCR Superlite
    RCR 917
    04 Cobra/Z06/Diablo/bunch of other junk

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I know this is an older thread but I am curious to hear what you decided to do (John4337). I think the suggestions were all good especially about two battery cables to the engine. I found a "0 dollar" solution using the factory five battery box in the trunk with very little mod, if you are interested.
    Thanks,

Bill K (skullandbones)

Post Thanks / Like
    I attached mine to the X-frame on the driver's side using a Jeep CJ battery box and a group 34 battery. I have a Mk1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    PG_Cobra, what does the CJ box look like?

I plan to run a group 51 battery in the engine compartment on the x-frame as well.
    But I also plan to fab a box in the trunk where the drop battery box would be (maybe a little larger) and use it to store some tools & rain gear.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the remarks. My first thought was to go up front for easier access, shorter cable runs, but I had concerns about the smaller battery and the heat. Glad to hear that those dont seem to be an issue.

John
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I made a box for under the trunk floor for my Mk3. On the Mk4 I recently completed I made a front mount (apologies to Mark at Breeze shamelessly copying his). It is naturally the lightest corner of the car and allows for short battery cable runs. This is the only pic I have handy.

From here on I'll always do a front mount unless something is in the way.

Cheers,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Another Breeze box here. It's really nice part - made of stainless steel, great hardware - I powdercoated mine, anyway, though.

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    This the battery mounted in a Jeep CJ bracket. You can find the bracket at JC Whitney, just search on battery tray.

Hope the picture works. My 1st picture post on this forum.

DSCN1205.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's another vote for Mark Reynolds' Breeze Automotive battery box: the one that fits atop the passenger footbox. I like that battery location: tight but handy. After 12,000 miles or so, I noticed that this battery box location holds water that can enter at the base of the passenger-side windshield post, and the slight scuffing from the battery can wear away the paint inside the box. I repaired the superficial rust and added a drain tube (flared large-size brake line; clear plastic tubing; grommet for the outboard footbox penetration; JB Weld to hold and seal the flared end of the drain tube to the battery box penetration) out the right side. That plus thin plastic spacers to reduce battery chafing tendencies should be a permanent solution.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrajj View Post
    IMG_5908.JPGMine's mounted low down in the front passenger side to the 4" frame tubes , using Breeze battery relocation kit. Jim
    x2 easy to get to check electrolyte levels, no hard start problems due too long/weak battery cables, battery wight is only 28 lbs.

Post Thanks / Like
    I should have added that the battery in my picture above is just a $70 Farm & Fleet battery with fake filler caps glued in place and a couple of Lucas stickers from Moss Motors. This version has 575 CCA, so should work fine with a hi-torque mini starter.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    FFR supplied battery box mounted under the trunk panel.

Use either long ground cable to starter, or even better, go with a mini starter.
    FFR 5818 MK3.1 build restarted.
    331 EFI stroker, T5-Z, 3.08 gears. BBK shorty headers -> FFR cat's & side pipes.
    Power brakes, electric power steering. Tan leather interior, TBD color, no stripes.
    Latest Milestone: First Start. Current: EEC tune via BE, Moates QH, Innovate LC-1

Post Thanks / Like
    That Lucas look a like is just too cool, I may have to copy that idea

Post Thanks / Like
    I just finished installing it today! I went with Breeze battery box up in the engine compartment where it belongs (IMHO). Great quality product for a fair and reasonable price not to mention the value add that Mark always provides.

breeze bat box.jpg
    MKIV 7469 (1of15)
    Ordered 1/20/11
    Build School 2/18/11
    Delivered 4/1/11
    Rolling Chassis 6/25/11

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrajj View Post
    IMG_5908.JPGMine's mounted low down in the front passenger side to the 4" frame tubes, using Breeze battery relocation kit. Jim
    Jim - What kind of battery did you use? I am looking for something that is small like the one you have with ~550 CC amps.
    MKIV 7469 (1of15)
    Ordered 1/20/11
    Build School 2/18/11
    Delivered 4/1/11
    Rolling Chassis 6/25/11

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob,
    Group 51 or 51R, with the difference being whether the + post is on the right or left.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the responses. I've got a Breeze battery box on the way.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    My battery is a Duralast Gold 51-DLG from Autozone----500 cranking amps---27.1 lbs. 3 yr warrenty, Jim
    Mk3.1 Complete kit #6846 Delv. 12/20/08-- Finished 2/11/11, 89 302 EFI,T-5, 3-Link, 17" Halibrands, Nitto 555 245-315 tires, widened drivers footbox w/ dead pedal, extended passengers footbox,Sapphire Blue Met & Wimbledon White stripes,radiator stone guard shield, Build blog http://jimsffrcobrabuild.blogspot.com/