Chris, that's a well equipped shop you have. And I too like the Powermatic -- can't go wrong with one of these. But I've used other great machines as well.

If buying a floor model and you have the space, I'll echo the recommendation on an industrial "metal" working saw and buying used is a great way to afford a good robust saw at a reasonable price. It will be the last one that you and your kids will ever have to buy.

A good heavy duty band saw will make very smooth cuts -- way better than the best jig saw you've ever used (and I've used some very good jig saws). I like the Lenox blades -- they cut through tough and hardened metals like allen wrenches. They will also cut your fingers to the bone and send you to the ER.

If you don't have a TIG welder get a blade welder when you buy the saw and it will come in handy when making inside radius cuts. Blade welders are for using bulk band saw blade materials (cost saving thing) but come in handy when you need to feed a blade thru a part to cut out the inside portion. Yes, you can use a jig saw but it's so much easier using a band saw on larger parts.

There is another handy metal cutting tool most folks don't know about. Milwaukee makes an 8" circular saw (looks similar to a saw you use for cutting wood) made for cutting metal. Uses carbide tipped blades specific for steel or aluminum but turns much much slower than a saw for cutting wood. I use mine a lot on plate and larger flat bar. Don't need coolant so it won't make a mess.

As a machinist I worked in a shop with large expensive machines. As a welder I worked in the field where portable power tools ruled. So I've had a broad base of experience with metal cutting equipment. Take it from me -- buy cheap and you will buy twice. Buy quality tools and equipment (even used) and they will serve you for many many years.