Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Custom Body - Methods and Means - Software, Programs and Techniques

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am posting these pictures to show that you don't really need expensive computers etc. to build mock-ups. Over the years in the late 50's and early 60's I was involved with several full size projects. All done before computers were around. And without ship curves. Done the old fashion way "EYEBALL" They were done in four different ways. One was just to finish a plaster mock-up. And one I did a full size drawing and cut the stations from plywood and then screened it and put plaster on it and finished it with a lacquer finish. And the Bounty Hunter dune buggy mock-up was strickly by eye. One was by using existing sheet metal fenders,hood and trunk lid from a 53 Studebaker welded together and filling in the gaps with screen wire and plaster.

Mel Keys

Last edited by mekeys; 08-02-2011 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Add text

Post Thanks / Like
    The dune buggy looks to be a plug for the bounty hunter which was produced by Brian Dries in Burbank and then the Deserter on the east coast. I built a bunch of those in the late 60's. I worked with Brian at a couple of companies.

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ron stebles View Post
    The dune buggy looks to be a plug for the bounty hunter which was produced by Brian Dries in Burbank and then the Deserter on the east coast. I built a bunch of those in the late 60's. I worked with Brian at a couple of companies.

Ron
    If you are refering to the Bounty Hunter mock-up in this thread..I am the designer.Brian and I were supposed to be partners he just helped me with the work on the plug. after we sold a few buggies he made a couple of small changes and went into business for himself.He made the headlights bigger and added a buldge on the hood and also changed the front end design under the nose a little.I have to give Brian credit for creating the side pods and a top..

google Mel Keys
    Last edited by mekeys; 08-02-2011 at 11:52 AM. Reason: added to the comment

Post Thanks / Like
    Mel you were not only around but involved in the very beginnings of the kit car industry. Any interesting stories? Who were some of the people you worked with? I've always thought the history of the "kit car" was fascinating. I loved what some of the early guys did, both good and bad.
    I can do anything with enough time and money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by D2W View Post
    Mel you were not only around but involved in the very beginnings of the kit car industry. Any interesting stories? Who were some of the people you worked with? I've always thought the history of the "kit car" was fascinating. I loved what some of the early guys did, both good and bad.
    To read all about the early days of fiberglass kit cars go to.

www.forgottenfiberglass.com

Mel Keys
    Last edited by mekeys; 08-02-2011 at 11:59 AM.