Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Shipping a car from southern US to Niagara Falls

Post Thanks / Like

Shipping a car from southern US to Niagara Falls

Hey guys

So I plan to ship a car from the southern US to Niagara Falls. I like Intercity Lines from what I read, problem is they do door to door pickup.

The problem is once I sign for the car, it's mine and anything that happens to it is my problem. So if something happens to the car before Intercity picks it up, it's my pproblem. Now I was reading on another Canadian forum, and I found out that youhave a 14 day grace period until your car's "free insurance" from your insurance company runs out.

And when the car is being signed off during pickup AND also during dropoff, there are so many variables that if a scratch happened, the dealer signing off on the car, the transport guy or the dropoff guy at CBI, could point fingers and say "they" did it.

Also, I found out that you have to wait until the Ministry of Transportation allows you to register your car and plate it (could take up to 2 weeks after crossing the border), before your car is registered and only then can you insure it under Canadian law.

Any ideas how I could make insuring the car and liability a lot easier than it seems?

Thanks so much!

Post Thanks / Like
    What type of car are you importing? (please tell me it is not a completed kit cobra)
    Why not just add the car to your insurance policy now?
    See, simple, easy, problem solved.

As for Intercity, they carry their own insurance should a car be damaged in transit.

Bill S.
    Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
    HOW TO BUY A USED COBRA

Post Thanks / Like
    For Canadians buying in the US, we only have 14 days temporary insurance until the car must be registered in Canada before it can be insured.
    It's an S5 I'm interested in

Post Thanks / Like
    Note to All

There is no legal way to import a licensed Kit car across the US/Canada border in either direction unless is can be proved that the car was INITIALLY REGISTERED more than 15 years ago.

It does not make any difference if it is registered as a 1966. If it was Initially registered less than 15 years ago it Cannot be legally imported.

Conversely, if the object of your affection is over 15 years old - based on the date of initial registration - you are in luck as th car can be imported. There is still a somewhat compleciated process to go through but the good news is it can be done!

Sorry to be the harbinger of bad news here but we are dealing with Federal Law and if you flaunt it you run the risk of forfeting you car as a minimum or in a worst case scenario forefiting the car and facing federal smuggling charges with all that that implies with regards to fines and jail time.

It simply is not worth the risk.

Got questions on this?

Call me on our toll free line at 866 853-5835.

AL Beix
    www.westerncanadacobras.ccom