Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Ordered my MKIV

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    I am considering a power brake upgrade. The techs at FF5 suggested Whitby Motors. I like to hear opinions regarding the power brake upgrade. Was the install fairly simple and did it improve the drivability of the roadster? Thanks for the the input; it's been encouraging.
    Congrats on your kit order. You're in for an adventure. Power brakes is a personal choice and like so many of the answers starts with "It depends." The right brakes, properly installed, and properly balanced will stop the car just fine. The manual brake pedal will always be heavier. For some this is just a matter of getting used to it. For others it's a deal breaker. With the 15 inch wheels you're planning, your brake options will be limited. Factory Five will only have Ford OE style brakes available that can be made to work OK. There are Wilwood options for 15 inch wheels that would be stronger. Gordon Levy is who you should contact. If you do choose to go power, the Whitby solution is a vacuum booster. I've used it. Works fine. Does require a frame mod, which they include. The other option would be hydroboost. Mike Forte can help with that. It's a little more compact than the vacuum setup and if you're doing power steering can share the plumbing. In either case, switching the Wilwood pedal box to power assist removes the balance bar setup so you'll have to use another approach if front/back bias changes are needed. That's a pretty big difference so be sure to consider it when making your decision.
    Last edited by edwardb; 02-19-2018 at 01:45 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I don't plan to use the car on the track, and I'm sure that the disc brakes that I've ordered are sufficient. I was concerned about the pedal effort. If I decide to go to power brakes, how hard would it be to install after the car is finished and I've driven it a mile or two--hundred.

3. Likes speedfreak1211 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I don't plan to use the car on the track, and I'm sure that the disc brakes that I've ordered are sufficient. I was concerned about the pedal effort. If I decide to go to power brakes, how hard would it be to install after the car is finished and I've driven it a mile or two--hundred.
    It's a big deal. Stock Wilwood pedal box has the master cylinders and plumbing inside the pedal box. Power brakes move all that outside plus the booster, whatever type of power you choose. Not impossible, but would not be fun or easy.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again for the input. I'm not sure that I want power brakes at this point. I also did not choose the Wildwood option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again for the input. I'm not sure that I want power brakes at this point. I also did not choose the Wildwood option.
    Just to be 100% clear, did you order a base kit or a complete kit? Not sure what you mean by "Wilwood option." A complete kit comes with a Wilwood pedal box. Whether you use Wilwood brakes (e.g. disks, calipers) is a different topic. A base kit could have the Wilwood pedal box added as an option. Or you could choose to use a Mustang donor pedal box. If you did choose to use a Mustang pedal box, then power brakes now or in the future becomes a bit simpler because in either case the master cylinder and plumbing is outside the footbox. Confused yet? Hopefully not. As a point of reference strictly FWIW, in my observation, the Wilwood pedal box is now pretty much what everyone uses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Just to be 100% clear, did you order a base kit or a complete kit? Not sure what you mean by "Wilwood option." A complete kit comes with a Wilwood pedal box. Whether you use Wilwood brakes (e.g. disks, calipers) is a different topic. A base kit could have the Wilwood pedal box added as an option. Or you could choose to use a Mustang donor pedal box. If you did choose to use a Mustang pedal box, then power brakes now or in the future becomes a bit simpler because in either case the master cylinder and plumbing is outside the footbox. Confused yet? Hopefully not. As a point of reference strictly FWIW, in my observation, the Wilwood pedal box is now pretty much what everyone uses.
    Thanks, I wasn't aware that the complete kit had a Wildwood pedal box. I did order the complete kit; so apparently I have the wildwood pedal box. Since this is my first build I plan to stick pretty close to the manual. That means I won't be making many modifications. So, adding power brakes is not likely to happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    John,

I drove my car 500 miles before painting. This allowed me to evaluate several things I was concerned about, brakes being one. I removed the body to paint, and added power brakes at that time. My car had too much go and not enough stop. LOL

Edited:
    I used the Ford front brakes supplied with the complete kit and purchased the equivalent rear. Added the vacuum power. You can purchase the vacuum booster and master cylinder separately, but still need the modified (steel) brake pedal and frame rail that goes around the vacuum booster. I made mine, but I have access to a machine shop. Whitby power brake kit. I also had to add a spacer plate under the vacuum booster. Purchased it fro about $30.
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 09-16-2018 at 02:48 PM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035