Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Insulation for sound and heat

Post Thanks / Like

Insulation for sound and heat

Any comments about heat suppression and sound dampening products? I have looked a bit and am considering Dynamat and a couple of products from Thermo-tec. Would be interested in what you've used and how well it works. Thanks.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    A low cost alternative that I have used on two roadsters is "Reflectix" insulation from Lowes. It's like bubblewrap with foil on both sides.

For a closed and air conditioned Coupe or GTM I'd probably look at some of the higher performing products specifically intended for automotive applications but for an open roadster this stuff is a pretty good bang for the buck I'd say. When covered with carpet it totally eliminates the tinniness of raw aluminum panels and even on the hottest days is only warm to the touch.

Jeff

3. Likes Kmcallahan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That looks similar to what I used. 2--- 4x10 ft rolls of this--http://www.lobucrod.com/
    Mk3.1 Complete kit #6846 Delv. 12/20/08-- Finished 2/11/11, 89 302 EFI,T-5, 3-Link, 17" Halibrands, Nitto 555 245-315 tires, widened drivers footbox w/ dead pedal, extended passengers footbox,Sapphire Blue Met & Wimbledon White stripes,radiator stone guard shield, Build blog http://jimsffrcobrabuild.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    I 2nd this product. Xlnt heat barrier and very easy to use. Low cost also.

Quote Originally Posted by cobrajj View Post
    That looks similar to what I used. 2--- 4x10 ft rolls of this--http://www.lobucrod.com/
    F5R1006211RD, Blue Granite Metallic with Titan Silver Stripes by Jeff Miller (Batman)
    4.6 SOHC, 3.73 R&P, 3 Link W/Koni's, 17x9 Cobra R's with 255 45zr 17 BFG Tires, Champ Pan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Used it, works fine. For heat, it does it's job, For noise, come on, you're sitting a foot and a half away from the sidepipes. They only thing that will reduce the noise is earplugs!

Post Thanks / Like
    I used Lizardskin....very satisfied.
    FFR 6203 Roadster, Full EFI 302 w/TrickFlow Top End Kit, IRS, Insured, Inspected, Tagged and Titled, Paint and Interior done...just buttoning up the details!

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone have any feedback for the Koolmat product? I would be interested to hear a comparison to this product vs what Jeff used (Reflectix).
    MKIV 7469 (1of15)
    Ordered 1/20/11
    Build School 2/18/11
    Delivered 4/1/11
    Rolling Chassis 6/25/11

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the information - plenty of good ideas to choose from. Key point is that more money won't eliminate a lot of the noise due to open design of car!

Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    The foil-wrapped bubble plastic should work fine where it is not compressed over time. That compression, such as on the floor of the cockpit, will eventually release the air cushion and you will be left with only two sheets of thim aluminum to do the job. Also, your insulation footwell liner needs to be strong enough to hold the carpet, and this bubble stuff may not be up to that job over time. The materials savings may not offset the difficulties of dealing with the problems that might crop up later. Insulating a car like the FFR presents unique problems, not the least of which are related to the tight quarters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre B View Post
    your insulation footwell liner needs to be strong enough to hold the carpet, and this bubble stuff may not be up to that job over time.
    I use 3M Super 77 to adhere the insulation to the aluminum and also to bond the carpet to insulation. After three years, 11,000 miles and numerous soakings in the rain nothing has loosened. Can't argue your point on compressing the insulation other than to mention that the only place I've actually noticed is is on the dropped floor in the driver's side at the gas pedal.

Jeff

Swapping out hot wheels:) ironman16nc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What about inside the engine compartment?

What are people using on the engine side of the footboxes and firewall? Just paint? Or an insulation?
    2019 Nov: '35 Hot-rod Truck, 306, EFI, 3-link (current build...the next possible 'keeper'!)
    2015 Mar: MK4 Complete kit #8617, 302 create, carb, 3-link (still wasn't the 'keeper car' LOL)
    2014 Sep: MKII Kit #4215, 302 create, carb, IRS, Sold as roller (wasn't the 'keeper car')
    2011 Mar: MK3 Base Kit #5400, 4.6L Fuel Injection, Complete! (well, just about)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ironman16nc View Post
    What are people using on the engine side of the footboxes and firewall? Just paint? Or an insulation?
    I've seen many variations. One of the most common (including my build) is powder coat. Very durable, easy to keep clean, etc. Have seen a few painted, a product called Sharhide (a clear coating usually wiped on), some leave plain aluminum, and a few with heat/sound absorbing materials. But I would say most put the mat type materials on the inside of the cockpit vs. the engine side.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.