Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: So whats the deal with the 818?

Post Thanks / Like

So whats the deal with the 818?

Let me first start off by saying I am a big fan of factory five and everything they stand for. I always wanted to build my own kit car and almost pulled the trigger on a mk3, but when i heard of the 818 project I knew i had to wait. Being 34 years old and gowing up in the import scene this project has the best of both worlds for me. I have been trying to read through all of the threads for some updates but it dosnt seem like theres much. Do we have a timeframe off when we can expect a final design and price? And when do you (Dave) think the 818 is going to be officially for sale. Please spill some of the beans......
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave is, of course, the man with the answers. That said, I have the impression from various things he has said about the 818 that they are looking to complete the body design in about 2 more months, have beta build shortly after (late spring or early summer), and be ready for production by the end of the year (perhaps even as early as October).

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave has stated that he wants the 818 finalized, beta-built, and first orders taken by SEMA 2012.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been a month since the last "update". Perhaps Dave could pop in and give us a thumbnail of where they're at in the process.

How close to finalizing body & fitment?
    How close to beta building?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    A photo or two would be nice.Seems like a long time since we have had an update.

Mel

Post Thanks / Like
    As for the price, Dave is targeting ~$10K (hoping to come in under just under this amount). They anticipate a completed build at ~$15K (assumming a 'wrecked' WRX price of ~$5K).

Post Thanks / Like
    Well hopefully Dave will pop in! In all honesty the model that he posted was not that nice compared to some of the other designs out there. Lets hope they make acouple of tweeks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry double post

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to worry, that model (in its current state) is not going to be the 818. Besides, the 818 will have at least 3 variations to choose from: Street Roadster (1st to be built), Track, MPG (Coupe).

The MPG version will be powered by VW TDi (but otherwise use the Subie donor stuff). There are some tweaks to this drivetrain that were perfected by the West Philly HS Green Grand Prix winning team (FFR GTM) that will be made available that, along with an aero Coupe body, are expected to get the 818 MPG version into 75 mpg territory.

The Track version will be a bare-bones design for lightest weight. Expect a full cage. There will also be special suspension and brakes available.

I think it would be safe to conclude that the Track performance stuff could be put on any of the designs as options, and that you could pick the aero Coupe, but power it with Subie, or pick one of the other designs, and power it with VW, as options.

Likely there will be Targa options as well. Still unclear if the Roadster will offer Targa options, possibly even Coupe (non-aero MPG) option. Will the MPG aero Coupe have a Targa option? Unknown.

Dave has said a goal of the 818 is 'swatch-watch', meaning its intended to be a long lasting platform with many options. He has hinted at the speed to complete new body designs, leading to speculation that he hopes to entertain even more body options in the future (some of the 700 contest entries? Replicas such as a Stratos?) It seems that FFR has high hopes for the 818. Everything we know now is just the beginning.