Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: A little work with the tubing bender!

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A little work with the tubing bender!

As you guys recall, I had a conversation with both NASA & SCCA Tech Officials regarding the latest changes to the 2011 CCR's. I decide to change
    the side intrusion bars to a "NASCAR" bar configuration. Here's what I did the last couple of days.

Setting up the first bar path.

Getting the bends right to provide room for the tire, and protect the back end of the driver! That square tubing was part of the "old" configuration.

Top bar mock-up to check path around tire, Perfect!

The complet system mocked-up. You"ll notice the small added 2"x 2" square tubing under the first upright, I needed to angle the front of the tube
    outward to maximize the welding area on the bulkhead upright. So the bars angle inward from the front to the rear, but it ended up giving me
    a smoother transition inside the cockpit.

The passenger side is the mirror image, and the tubes are already bent, and the uprights cut and set to go. Just need a day to get everything final fitted,
    and then start welding. It was a lot of work, but I think the benefits are well worth it.

Hank
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Impressive as usual Hank, nice job and certainly a lot of work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work Hank, it's no wonder your Coupe's not done yet! LOL
    Does this clear the body everywhere. I remember, I think it was Brian Palmer that had some issues with that later on. Or are you just modifying that as with everything else

John

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    That looks incredibly secure.
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    John,

It clears everything right now, but I'll have to change the bar that comes down from the back hoop, and have it intersect with the top of the NASCAR bar, but it looks like it will just require a bit of cutting on the inner fiberglass that's part of the inner fenderwell.

This is the drivers side with the original frame with the door post mount. Not much there to stop a tire from entering the cockpit from the rear.

Here's what the passengers side looked like, after adding the hoop to intrusion(old) bar.

This is how Don did the mods to his Coupe.

Hank
    Last edited by Hankl; 09-12-2011 at 11:58 AM.
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there anything left of the stock frame in there?? Jeez... You're worse than me....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    John,

According to Russ Foster, another Coupe builder here in the Santa Cruz area, only the 4" main tubes are still there, But I'm going to mess with one of them soon!

Hank

Post Thanks / Like
    I cannot weight for the car to be finished so we can hear the total weight.

It is better to be safe than sorry. Now hurry up and get that car done. Mine will be worn out at this pace.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Don,

What does your Coupe weigh in at?

Hank

Post Thanks / Like
    2850 with 22 gal fuel cell full of fuel. Billet rims heavy as well. Double insulation and carpet.