BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Need to know everything about a build in order to actually build one?

Post Thanks / Like

Need to know everything about a build in order to actually build one?

Hey everyone, will I be able to build a roaster with just the basic knowledge of cars or is it a tough build? I want to build a roadster but I lack the knowledge and experience with cars? Buy used or take shot?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would reccomend the mott build school three days and you get to see and feel the entire process. Great people real gentlemen and you will learn alot

3. Likes Aircontroller, shmelty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    No you do not. This forum has a wealth of knowledge, the manual is decent and there are a number of very good build threads that you can review. There will be times you will get stuck but asking a question here will usually get you an answers to get you unstuck. Yes, the build school will help and likely do one bit thing, provide confidence.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

5. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I started my build a year ago with limited auto knowledge. I didn't choose to attend the build school. A year later, I have a rolling chassis and am ready to rebuild my donor engine. Some others might have the car running and ready for body work at this point. I have two younger kids and basically work in spurts here and there in between travel soccer games, work, vacations, gym time, etc. The two forums have a ton of info and lots of people that are willing to answer questions. The revamped search engine on the other forum has really helped as well. you can google and youtube just about anything these days as well. I would recommend reading a few build threads on these forums as many members have found better/more efficient ways of doing some things. You'll also find endless modifications that you can use to customize your ride. HTH

7. Likes shmelty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Take the shot and learn alot. The forums, FF5 build videos, and build manual will get you through. If you need further proof that you can do it, definitely attend the build school and see what's entailed. Overall my build has been a great experience - true there were times of frustration, but overcoming them just added to my sense of accomplishment.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This video is a tad cheesy, but worth looking at regarding the build school:

https://youtu.be/PtcRqUxvOMA

Also, as long as you do a basic build and don't go with alternate power then it is a doable task with basic knowledge.
    A Small Block Ford with a carburetor would be the easiest drive-line to deal with.
    Also, if I can do it (A Wrench Swinging Banker) then so can you.

Good Luck From The Dark Dart Side!

My You Tube Channel Link:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8m...4orIm7w/videos
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-28-2020 at 10:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You really have two questions here: 1)Do I need to know a lot to build? and 2)Buy or build?

The answer to the first question is: No. I am living proof of that. The answer to the second one depends on your goals. What's more appealing to you? The build process, or just getting into a car and driving it? How patient/committed to the project are you? Can you stick to the program when you hit an obstacle? The answers to these questions will help you decide on your second question.

I can only speak for myself - I thought I knew what I was doing, but in reality didn't. With a lot of help from others (e.g. this forum, local friends and research) I figured it out and got it done. If you believe you can do it, you can! BTW - go to build school. It is worth its weight in gold.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

11. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I second the notion of attending the build school. It helped me put my hands and eyes on all the different pieces of the car. They also have lots of tips and tricks to help your build go easier. I asked lots of questions and I was neve able to stump them once. I'm about 1 month into my build and have learned a LOT about car mechanics. I was able to do basic car repairs (oil changes, brakes, shocks, etc) prior to this but this experience has really upped my game. You'll learn a lot of new skills, make a few mistakes (we all do) and solve a lot of problems. My number one suggestion is to take the time up front and get organized with a good inventory, a tidy shop and storage of parts (a well stocked Ace or Fastenal nearby helps too). Also, reach out to any local builders to visit and chat about their builds.

Yeah, I could have bought a new C8 corvette or something exotic, but I would've have been another old guy riding around in a vette. This will be something you built with your own hands. Not many people can claim to have done that.

Cheers!
    Mk IV Roadster #9749, Kit received Jan 2, 2020, Blueprint SBF 347 TKO600 Holley Sniper EFI, Dual roll bars, IRS, 17" Halibrand, Nitto 555 G2 245, 315 Road legal Oct 20, 2020

Post Thanks / Like
    Wish I had the opportunity to visit someone doing a build in the ny/nj area just to get an idea of what I’m looking at.
    posted a thread asking if anyone was in the middle of one but got crickets. Thank guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in the same boat considering the purchase and build of a basic kit, not sure about registration and all motor vehicle issues on Long Island NY. I have basic skills( figure things out on 3rd try ) however I would love to speak to someone who has completed one or see one in the process before I start . Thanks