Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Door Handle Ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Door Handle Ideas?

I've really wanted to order the billet aluminum door handles for a while now, but they appear to be indefinitely out of stock at FFRparts.com, so I'm looking for alternatives. Would really prefer something recessed, but don't want to spend $300+ (like some of the custom hot rod parts out there).

Question 1: What do you guys think about these? https://www.boatoutfitters.com/hardw...es/cam-latches Call me crazy, but I really like the look. I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to hook the lever up to the cable, or even fabricate a hard linkage.
    Question 2: Might be a stupid question... but how in the heck do people open their doors from the outside? I guess I never noticed until now that there are no external handles on the coupe. Do people with side-windows just slide the vent back and reach in to open from the inside? Was also thinking that one of those boat recessed handles might look cool on the outside too...
    Last edited by Alphamacaroon; 02-11-2020 at 06:01 PM.
    Cheers,

--jim

Build 1: Gen III Type 65 Coupe, Gen II Coyote

2. Thanks narly1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    check out door handles for a 68 Chevy Corvette that might be what you're looking for

Forget the video's description it's more about how they work.

https://www.google.com/search?q=68+c..._AUoAHoECAEQAA

or

https://www.autoloc.com/catalog/Inte...or-Handle-Kits

I might use the C3 corvette handles, or none at all but I am a long way from that

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphamacaroon View Post
    Question 2: Might be a stupid question... but how in the heck do people open their doors from the outside?
    A couple of options:

1 A keyless remote entry system that fires a couple of actuators hooked up to the latch linkages. About $20 for everything needed on Amazon.

or instead,

2. A magnetic reed switch buried under the body glass somewhere that fires the actuators. You then add a magnet to your key chain and wave it over the switch to pop the latches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, with the standard setup you reach inside and pull the handle. If you have the window kit, yes through the little sliding window. I'm getting used to it. Some put poppers on the latches as mentioned. Thought about it on mine. But was running out of energy with all the other mods I did. I scored the machined aluminum handles from Factory Five. They're nice. But I'd use the stock plastic ones before those boat versions. And please don't put one of those on the outside. You asked.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I put door poppers on mine so they open with a key fob but it is not hard to just reach inside through the window and open the door
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm still building but I have door poppers activated by a key fob and remote from Electric Life. I also have a cable connected to the mechanism if the poppers fail.
    Gen 2 Type 65 Coupe. Gen 2 Coyote. T-bird IRS. 3.55 Torsen diff.
    Find me at "Team Limer" on Facebook
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/750619...7668366966791/
    Rally North America "Team Limer"
    https://www.classy.org/team/464751

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again all for the great ideas. I figured I had nothing to lose and went ahead and gave the marine latch a try. I'm very happy with the results.

The latches themselves are about $35 a piece and require a 2" hole. They are very high quality and very sturdy.

IMG_0256.jpg

I modified the latch by chopping off the pawl and drilling a hole big enough for some 10-24 threaded rod. Then I took two lengths of 10-24 threaded rod, heated them, bent them, then flash annealed them into the shapes seen here:

IMG_0260.jpg IMG_0257.jpg IMG_0258.jpg

Then I joined the two parts of the mechanism in the middle with a coupler and some jamb nuts. This allows me to take out any slack from the mechanism, and to easily disassemble the door. Here's what the mechanism looks like without the door:

IMG_0259.jpg

Finally, here's what it looks like all put together:

IMG_0254.jpg IMG_0255.jpg

I lucked out in that the latch mechanism travels the exact amount needed to disengage the door latch. I really like this direct linkage setup because I won't have to worry about the cable stretching over time.

Anyway, I still may end up adding an electric popper at some point, but pretty happy with how this ended up.

P.S. @edwardb, I actually did consider putting these on the outside as well (a smaller sized version, painted to match color of the car), but now you have me second guessing.... I still actually think it would look pretty cool— it feels like something that wouldn't seem totally out of place on a racecar (ala LeMans style gas cap, hood pins, etc.). But then again, I guess you'd don't see door handles on race cars either.
    Last edited by Alphamacaroon; 02-20-2020 at 04:36 PM.
    Cheers,

--jim

Build 1: Gen III Type 65 Coupe, Gen II Coyote

9. Thanks RocketF85 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I stand corrected. That looks good. Agreed an upgrade over the standard plastic ones. Still wouldn't put them on the outside though.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hah! Alright, deal. I respect you too much to disagree.
    Last edited by Alphamacaroon; 02-16-2020 at 12:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I misinterpreted your question I thought you were putting those on the outside. Looks good.