Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: You all are crazy...

Post Thanks / Like

You all are crazy...

...and it must be contagious. If, and that is a big IF, I was to be dumb enough to join the ranks of you Coupe builders I would likely go old school on my build (other than adding AC and probably IRS). I guess that would mean a 289 with the Weber stack. I would probably mimic the blue with white strips and meatballs on the paint and go performance-style instead of fancy on the interior.

Here is my "fear." I go through the build process (I have read several builds in the roadster and Coupe threads - gulp) and let's say I survive. I have the know-how and am almost retired so I would have the time. So I finish my awesomely loud and fast and incredibly cool Coupe and I tool around a while wearing ear plugs..maybe enter some competitions expecting to come in last - but that's not my personality so I'll be aggressive - don't tell my wife. But soon, maybe the fun wears off. Maybe the fun was mostly in build. I don't know. I've seen some low time builds for sale. Did they get tired of it or did the build not meet expectations, or something is wrong with it and they want to unload it?

Now here is the full dilemma. I have a 1959 Triumph TR3 which I've owned since 1995. Trickle restoration ongoing. I could "easily" convert it to a VARA compliant "race car" and have some fun that way. But throwing forged parts at the engine, adding competition webers, header, suspension, etc (along with the many structural requirements) and it will sound and go nothing like a Daytona Coupe. It will sound like a somewhat irritated hornet. A single hornet. Not a lot of hornets. Just one. And will will go extremely fast compared to a Pinto. But I could do this for a fraction of the cost and a fraction of the effort that a Coupe would be.

Probably too touchie-feelie for such a forum, but I wonder if anyone in the process of a build or finished with their build would have some comments? I doubt anyone who bailed out will comment because - they bailed out. But watching those Daytona coupe videos on youtube...dang it.

David
    tr3.png
    Last edited by mt10flyer; 02-12-2020 at 07:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    For a guy like you it's sounding like you should approach a project like this as a perpetual "work in progress". Even after the build is "finished" keep tweaking, tinkering, improving, refining (or whatever you want to call it)...

Post Thanks / Like
    my Coupe is my second build, common problem by the way. We are all different, I built my cobra in 2004 and still have it and drive it as much as I can. Both cars are built as road cars and now the difficult choice has to come, sell or keep the Cobra?? not sure how much I will drive it so we will see.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the 1959 Triumph TR3 need a sister in the garage like a FFR Coupe!

5. Likes shmelty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mt10flyer View Post
    ... But watching those Daytona coupe videos on youtube...dang it.

David
    tr3.png
    I have only one thing to say...."Coupe".

I have had real temptation to get sell the coupe. However, there is nothing that puts a smile on my face like going to the shop and simply turning the key.

This video (old, unpainted, crudely done) says it all. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIkW...ature=youtu.be

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, we are all crazy and I’m afraid it’s already too late for you. If you’ve come to us to get talked out of a Coupe for a TR3....ha, wrong place. Your description of the TR3 is full of ifs, buts, sounds like a hornet and maybe some fun.. The Coupe will have 8-stack Webber’s, ear plugs, race tracks. Come on, is this even a question.

If you sell the TR3, think of how inexpensive the Coupe will be. Or, set that money aside for your race fund. Pretty clear to me, but then I’m one of the crazy ones.

Can’t wait to see your build thread. Welcome to the fun house.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    David, well you came here for feedback and you’ll get it! . I am one of those who built a roadster and sold it. Do I regret the build? Nope. Do I regret driving it? Nope. Do I regret selling it? Hell yes. My reasons for selling were my own but am willing to share so you understand everyone has reasons. My wife has been battling health issues for a couple years and one of the options was to move to a mild and dry climate, eg AZ, NM, NV, CO, etc. Well in preparation for that I decided to sell and use the monies for a down payment on a second home which would end up becoming our retirement home. Well after many trips and looking at homes, etc. we did no find what we were looking for and instead made changes at home that have improved my wife’s health. So was it premature to sell? Yes I guess it was but hindsight is 20-20, one never knows how quickly your FF will sell if you ever need to. I just happened to find a buyer fairly quickly and yes I struggled with the decision. Watching it drive away really hurt when I sold it.

Okay enough of the blah, blah, blah. Build a coupe or roadster and you will love it.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Say Hello To Gumby For Me!

tr3.png

https://youtu.be/p3UbqdEydDk

https://youtu.be/uNKL9MMbjNg

What A Great Star of Film & TV He Certainly Is!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 02-13-2020 at 02:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    In the short drive in which I discovered my engine was toast I, pulled up to a stop sign and a school bus driver (empty bus fortunately) took a little too long staring at my car.
    As cool as the Triumph is, I don't think it's a match for the Daytona. Sounds like you like to build and tinker, so worst case scenario you build and sell the Daytona and then build another FFR. Best case you build and love it, don't think you can go wrong either way.
    Do I hear a signature on that deposit cheque?

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    David, good question. I raced a vintage Alfa GTV for years and wouldn’t exchange that experience for anything. I’m out of competitive road racing now but have a Mustang GT for track days and Autocross so considering a coupe also. Depends what you desire, if it’s vintage racing go with the TR3. In considering a coupe build I'm looking at options for a high rev (7,500 rpm?) 289, I’d like the coupe to be powered such that I can push reasonably hard at a track day and feel a coyote in the GT would be to much for a 2,500 lb car. The Alfa was 2,000 with 200HP, at Watkins Glen plenty fast! Are there any threads on this forum about performance driving the Coupe? I’d be curious on other’s experience tracking these cars?

Eliot

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eshanabrook View Post
    David, good question. I raced a vintage Alfa GTV for years and wouldn’t exchange that experience for anything. I’m out of competitive road racing now but have a Mustang GT for track days and Autocross so considering a coupe also. Depends what you desire, if it’s vintage racing go with the TR3. In considering a coupe build I'm looking at options for a high rev (7,500 rpm?) 289, I’d like the coupe to be powered such that I can push reasonably hard at a track day and feel a coyote in the GT would be to much for a 2,500 lb car. The Alfa was 2,000 with 200HP, at Watkins Glen plenty fast! Are there any threads on this forum about performance driving the Coupe? I’d be curious on other’s experience tracking these cars?

Eliot
    Here's a thread with some Gen 3 Coupe race info (John George) and some cool in car video. https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-George-at-VIR. Just finishing my Gen 3 Coupe. Build thread in my sig line. It won't see any track time. Not my thing. But it's an amazingly cool car and a fun build. Can't wait to start driving it this spring. Coyote is perfect in these. Great experience with one in a Roadster. True, a lot of power for a 2500 pound car. But that's the nice thing about a modern engine. They're happy driving mild or wild.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do a coupe. At least then you will be up to 1990s engine tech and 2017 chassis tech. Think about the front suspension on the TR3 which is at best 1950s technology. The new coupe has a wonderfully cad designed chassis. I will never forget I was running an autocross in my roadster 5-6 years ago and there was a run between pylons that exited a turn at about 25mph and allowed a run right to redline in 2nd gear before slowing for the next set of pylons. It was glorious. Between runs a guy came over to me who I had never met before and says, I just had to come say this, watching and listening to you coming up that hill is as close to automotive heaven as I have ever been. I said, want to ride along next run? His jaw dropped open and he said h--l yes, paused a couple seconds and asks, you aren't kidding? No, go grab a loaner helmet and come on. As the run ended I saw the time display. As he was getting out and thanking me profusely I said heck, I should be thanking you. He says what? Uh buddy, that run you were on was fastest time of the day. It didn't hold up til the end but did stay 2nd fastest. Yep there are faster cars, but I guarantee, running an autocross in an FFR is as fun as can be.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are correct in that there is a transition that lots of people have problems getting through. When the hours in the garage are essentially over and it’s road legal, what do you do? We have lots of polished aluminum and really nice paint. I love to drive it but don’t want to mess it up. Rain stopped us from attending too many car shows so we added an enclosed trailer. The 1100 mile trip to the London Cobra Show with my wife was great and I met so many forum friends. The 600 mile drive to SAAC44 with my build partner/son was excellent as well. I loved the laps on the race track. I also learned to get in and drive it when I feel like it. I take the wife as often as possible. You won’t know how you will respond until you get there.

Good luck and have fun, Glen
    Coupe 0652 408 Windsor 510 hp TKO600-68OD 3.73 Traction-lok A/C and heat, Guardsman Blue with White stripes picked up 9/14 first start 7/10/15 go kart 8/15/15 registered, painted (body-on) 11/12/16 inspected and on the road 4/20/17