Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  216
Likes Likes:  443

Thread: Fmans Dart 427 build #9818 - 14" Leather steering wheel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a note of caution about the use of Loctite around plastic parts (in this case the fan body). Loctite will damage plastic, especially ABS. The warning on the bottle says not to use Loctite on screws that go into plastic, but my experience is that even if the screw is going into metal but there is plastic nearby, there is the potential for damage. I've learned this lesson the hard way on dirt bikes. Loctite coming in contact with plastic is a definite no-no, but my understanding is that as Loctite cures, it gives off vapors that can damage plastic even if it never came directly in contact with the plastic. You can minimize this risk by using it very sparingly on any fasteners that are anywhere near plastic. As Paul said, he uses just a touch of it. One small drop is plenty on a small screw. I also think (but have no evidence to back up my hunch) that using the stick version of Loctite, rather than the liquid, gives off fewer vapors as it cures, and therefore less potential for damage of plastic parts as well as eliminating the possibility that it accidentally drips onto plastic as you're installing the screw.

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-50616.../dp/B0053ZNMDE
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

2. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Just a note of caution about the use of Loctite around plastic parts (in this case the fan body). Loctite will damage plastic, especially ABS. The warning on the bottle says not to use Loctite on screws that go into plastic, but my experience is that even if the screw is going into metal but there is plastic nearby, there is the potential for damage. I've learned this lesson the hard way on dirt bikes. Loctite coming in contact with plastic is a definite no-no, but my understanding is that as Loctite cures, it gives off vapors that can damage plastic even if it never came directly in contact with the plastic. You can minimize this risk by using it very sparingly on any fasteners that are anywhere near plastic. As Paul said, he uses just a touch of it. One small drop is plenty on a small screw. I also think (but have no evidence to back up my hunch) that using the stick version of Loctite, rather than the liquid, gives off fewer vapors as it cures, and therefore less potential for damage of plastic parts as well as eliminating the possibility that it accidentally drips onto plastic as you're installing the screw.
    Very good point. Thanks for making it. Agree Loctite should be used very sparingly if at all around plastic. I haven't had any problems with the cooling fan. But as stated I used just a small amount plus I think that's some kind of reinforced or glass filled plastic. Pretty tough stuff. If you really want to see the effect of Loctite, use it around acrylic. Like wind wings or whatever. It crazes and breaks down the acrylic. Really makes a mess. Ask me how I know.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

4. Likes toadster liked this post