BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Determining Model and build year

Post Thanks / Like

Determining Model and build year

FFR,

I just bought a FFR roadster and was wondering how to determine the actual model (MK1, MK2 or MK3) and when it was originally shipped.

The VIN# is FFR2010K.

From surfing through the forums I get the feeling its a MK2 originally built around 2002 ??

Regards,

BillMac

2. Likes Derald Rice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know the car! It is a Mk1 built in 2000 by Jim Pomroy in Bradenton Florida. I met Jim shortly after he finished it. Somewhere in late 2001 or 2002 he sold it to Lee Tilton who if memory serves was in Virginia. It was a beautiful car finished in a deep burgundy/red with silver stripes and chrome Cobra R wheels. Jim did a great job building it and at the time it was something of a "gold standard".

Where and when did you get it and what can you tell us about how it is currently?

Jeff

4. Thanks bmackrell thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff,

Yes that's the one. I bought it last week here in Virginia. Lee's son Dave, has a shop across the parking lot from mine. I went over to borrow one of his trailers so that I could go pickup a 71 Vette I was looking at in PA and he showed me the Cobra. His Dad Lee is getting older and can't really drive it anymore so they were getting ready to sell it. I bought it on the spot so the Vette will have to wait.

It's in pretty good shape, runs very well. It has about 14,000 miles on it. It needs new tires, has a crack in the windshield and a couple of the gauges aren't working. The body and paint are in excellent shape. There are a few rock chips in the paint and some stone damage on the leading edges of the rear fenders but other than that it cleaned up real nice.

Mechanically it runs great and sounds awesome. It has a Ford 302 (supposedly out of 95 mustang). I'm to put it up on the lift next week and inspect the suspension. Might need new shocks and bushings to go along with the new tires.

I took it out today for a long ride and it was a blast.

I'll post more info as I go through it.

Regards,

BillMac
    Last edited by bmackrell; 05-24-2020 at 05:53 PM. Reason: puncuation

Post Thanks / Like
    here are a few pics .....

More to follow once I get it registered and on the road. The DMV here in Northern Virginia is still closed. Arg.....

Regards,

BillMac

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Bill!
    Yep, that's it and it still looks great! You got a really good one---as I said in the earlier reply this car was regarded as one of the best back in 2000 and in my opinion that still stands 20 years later! It's so cool to see some of the early cars and the fact that this one is still looking good and going strong is a testament to the builder but also to just how solid the original Factory Five concept was and still is. That is something that some of the new builders might be wise to consider when they are planning and tend to go "over the top" with everything

Enjoy it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff,

Thanks for the info and words of encouragement. I will certainly be spending more time here learning about these cars.

I took it out for a long ride this weekend to determine what needs to get sorted out. For a 20 year old car it ran fantastic. As I said above there are two gauges not working and I didn't find an issue with one of the tail lights (see other thread) but other than that it was SOLID!

I will definitely need new rubber and I need to go through the suspension and see what might need replacing. With new sticky tires I'll probably want to refresh the suspension to some extent.

It's exciting to drive as compared to some of my other cars, mainly Corvettes, I will say that.

Regards,

BillMac