Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ecu tuning for these?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

ecu tuning for these?

anyone familiar with tuning the computers on these

what are the best options for tuning the maps?

which donor cars will have flashable ecu's?

i know looked into evoscan with my 3000gt and it looks like a pretty good logger and is compatible with subaru's.
    and ecuflash is a free flashing program u just need the right reflash cable

anyone with more info?

these cars will probably be in need of a tune right away due to different breathing characteristics of the engine being in the back. and having an aftermarket exhaust

Post Thanks / Like
    Other can speak in more detail, but EVERY ECU from a targetted donor ('02-'07 WRX) is flashable and has free public domain software available to do it. The hardware (cables) is about $100.

Post Thanks / Like
    Open-source tuning is the way to go.

If they can get the stock airbox and downpipe to bolt up, the stock tune should work fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Using a Rom Raider program works great for the diy'er. There are some forums with lots of info for those cars. Cobb's AP is used a ton. Both V1 and V2. Version one is year specific, but you can get used ones cheap, about $200-250 at this point. You have to make sure it has bee "un-married" from the previous ECU or else it won't do you any good. Version 2 has two models. One for 2002-2005 and one for 06-07. It's more expensive but has more features. You can adjust the rpm's at idle with that one. With Cobb you have to have a tuner program the car. There are other ones out there like the stand alone hydra, but those are the most popular routes to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    cobb is easy but costs quite a bit...

open source/rom raider is a bit more diy but costs less and has more options...

Post Thanks / Like
    Any provisions for flex fuel compatibility or is that solely a standalone ECU add-on?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinspool View Post
    Any provisions for flex fuel compatibility or is that solely a standalone ECU add-on?
    The Subaru ECU is very tuneable. There are many out there running e85 on the stock ECU. Really you just need to upgrade the pump, injectors, and tune and you're burning corn.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're running an OEM ecu, you can have different tunes for different fuels loaded on your laptop or AccessPort. When you switch fuel, you load the appropriate tune.

I think that Cobb (AccessPort) figured out how to load multiple tunes on the ECU and switch between them using some combination of the a/c button and cruise control, or something along those lines. I can't remember if this ever made it into production, I'm trying to remember things from 2004-2005. Or maybe it was EcuTek that supported this on Subarus.

Irrelevant but interesting:

I did a brief search and only found the ability on the Nissan GTR version:
    http://www.accessecu.com/support/doc...lpFile_GTR.pdf

From page 6 of the Nissan GTR document:
    Real time switchable map changes with cruise control: The active switchable map is chosen and selected with the use of cruse control buttons. The selected map is temporarily displayed on the gauge function screen. To enter map selection routine press the “cancel” button on wheel. The boost gauge will temporarily display the current map with small steady proportional jumps in displayed boost. While in this mode toggle up and down with the set and coast button to incrementally step through maps.

For a video demonstration of this feature see:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtklJvN-Pds

Post Thanks / Like
    E85 fuel use does not required a standalone ECU to program.

A simple change of injector and ignition timing can yield a beautiful result of practically detonation free boosting.
    400WTQ WRX engine waiting for a new home...

Post Thanks / Like
    look up clark turner tuning... one of the best in tuning the stock ECU

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ks2 View Post
    look up clark turner tuning... one of the best in tuning the stock ECU
    That's who I like too. He dyno tuned my Legacy. He's got a long running thread on nasioc for his mail-order tunes. His contact info is there in the 1st post.

Post Thanks / Like
    The guys who do high end subaru race cars in the boston area use Rom Raider for their open source tuning needs on their AWD dyno.

Post Thanks / Like
    400WTQ WRX engine waiting for a new home...

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't forget Dom from MPS in Washington state. Great guy, also builds engines and really knows his stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm aware that I could tune for E85 with pump and injectors and a flash. What I'm looking for is flex fuel compatability, E85, dino juice or any mix of the two. The sensors exist from other FFVs but the ECU inputs and the capability of running dual fuel tables is what I don't know about. If the stock ECU can't handle it, a megasquirt could.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm aware that I could tune for E85 with pump and injectors and a flash. What I'm looking for is flex fuel compatability, E85, dino juice or any mix of the two. The sensors exist from other FFVs but the ECU inputs and the capability of running dual fuel tables is what I don't know about. If the stock ECU can't handle it, a megasquirt could.
    Ahh. That's different. If you want hands free adjustment of fueling dependant on what's in the tank, you'd need to use a standalone. A netbook and tactrix cable is a lot cheaper.

Post Thanks / Like
    As far as I know, Subaru hasn't sold any flex fuel vehicles in the US, so I don't think there's any off the shelf oem ecu that would drop in easily. Maybe in other markets though? Brazil perhaps?

Post Thanks / Like
    You might Hotrod's thread on NASIOC interesting:
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803341

In post 4, he mentions his post numbers relevant to running different ethanol blends (everything between e10 and e85).

Hotrod appears to have setup a forum for e85 discussion: http://e85forum.net

Post Thanks / Like
    I would suggest to adapt a GM Flex fuel ECU and sensors to run the Subaru motor, but I don't think they have a flex-fuel turbo motor to grab an ECU from.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think with an Accessport and the right fuel mods, you can easily switch between a few maps for the different fuel types. You'd just have to make sure you drain the fuel tank. Depending on the type of fuel tank FFR puts on these things, that could end up being a pretty easy task.

I am a firm believer in Opensource although you can't switch maps nearly as easy as an Accessport. Opensource software needs to hard-write to the ECU every time you make a change. With an Accessport, it can piggyback so you can switch maps on the fly and the car will use the Accessport's virtual ECU emulation OR you can actually hard-write the map to the car's ecu so you can unplug the accessport. If you're wanting to switch fuel types and tunes very freqently, pony up for an Accessport. If you are just upgrading the engine components for more power and aren't going to mess with tuning for different fuel types, do Opensource. There's more community support on how to tune with opensource and it's cheap cheap

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandonDrums View Post
    With an Accessport, it can piggyback so you can switch maps on the fly and the car will use the Accessport's virtual ECU emulation OR you can actually hard-write the map to the car's ecu so you can unplug the accessport.
    Sounds to me like you're talking about what the AccessPort documentation refers to as Base Maps and Realtime Maps. Base map is hard-written to the ecu and will stay there even if the battery is disconnected. Realtime maps run on top of the Base Map and will disappear if the battery were disconnected (reverting to the Base Map). Even realtime maps don't require the AccessPort to remain connected to the ECU. You just load the map and can then disconnect the AccessPort. Of course, there's no harm in leaving it connected, but its not necessary.

Some features and tables can't be modified by realtime maps.

Just wanted to add clarification so that nobody thinks the AccessPort ever requires a persistent connection to the ECU. Logging would be the only time you have to leave it connected.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandonDrums View Post
    I think with an Accessport and the right fuel mods, you can easily switch between a few maps for the different fuel types. You'd just have to make sure you drain the fuel tank. Depending on the type of fuel tank FFR puts on these things, that could end up being a pretty easy task.

I am a firm believer in Opensource although you can't switch maps nearly as easy as an Accessport. Opensource software needs to hard-write to the ECU every time you make a change. With an Accessport, it can piggyback so you can switch maps on the fly and the car will use the Accessport's virtual ECU emulation OR you can actually hard-write the map to the car's ecu so you can unplug the accessport. If you're wanting to switch fuel types and tunes very freqently, pony up for an Accessport. If you are just upgrading the engine components for more power and aren't going to mess with tuning for different fuel types, do Opensource. There's more community support on how to tune with opensource and it's cheap cheap
    One still needs to know what their doing right? How much of a learning curve will it take?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Stop worrying about your learning curve, you got us all to help you bro, you will be fine and your car will be great. Get all the parts needed and have at it, research, build, drive.... thats how you learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    There's really no way to switch maps on the fly other than accessport? I have an evo and with the latest tephra mod I can switch between 93 octane and e85 with a simple flip switch mounted on the dash.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess you could have two different ecu's next to each other. One for DD and the other for track events/race fuel, whatever. You could unplug the harness from one and plug into the other. For the cost though an AP V1 would be cheaper.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just how far with tuning, etc. can one go with this 4 cyl. Subaru and still meet California emissions? Or is it a matter of just putting in the highest power STOCK engine that fits?

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ i would just reflash to stock for emissions testing....

also, do you know the emissions requirements for Kit Cars in CA? i wouldn't be shocked if they were substantially different.
    05 Outback XT - DD
    94 Integra GSR - Track Car
    97 Legacy Brighton - EG33 Swap Project
    03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax - Tow Rig
    97 Integra GS - Future Track Car

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by olpro View Post
    Just how far with tuning, etc. can one go with this 4 cyl. Subaru and still meet California emissions? Or is it a matter of just putting in the highest power STOCK engine that fits?
    There are not a lot of options (CARB approved parts) that keep you within the letter of California emissions law. I've owned a few Subarus, have forgotten much, and not kept up much with things for a few years, but here's what I can recall of the top of my head:

2002-2005 WRX 2.0L TD04 turbo
    Stock: 175whp
    Tune only: 200whp
    Turboback + Tune: 225whp

2.5L STi VF39 turbo
    Stock: 230whp
    Tune only: don't know
    Turboback + Tune: 300whp

2005 Legacy 2.5L VF43 turbo
    Turboback + Tune: 260whp, 320wtq

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in Alberta canada and cant wait to get one of these 818's. Already have the major donor components sitting in my garage. I've been a subie nut since 2007 and currently daily drive a 2009 WRX (EJ255) w/ VF52 turbo, larger TMIC and 3" catted exhaust and equal length headers with 50/50 mix water meth injection. Running 20lbs of max boost, Putting down 305 WHP and 335 wtq on 94 octane pump gas. Cobb access port PRO tuned by the one and only AIRBOY. If I were to incorporate this setup on the FFR 818, and could get the wheels to stick, the car would be a BULLET. Many options for tuning, but an excellent tuner is worth the extra cost of a AccessPort. Just my .02.

Post Thanks / Like
    95% of the time we prefer to use open source. That is the method we will be using for 818 kits as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've noticed that us Subaru guys like to 'name drop' making everything seem more confusing that it really is. Instead of 'tune', some say Accessport or open-source. Instead of 'bigger turbo', some say GTA 3453. Instead of saying 'properly sized injectors, we say "FP 880s".

Don't worry, it's all the same stuff you learned working on 5.0s or 350s. All the concepts are the same.

Only the names have been changed to confuse the innocent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, that helps make this clear. It would help to have a thread with definitions . I miss the tidbit of the day.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    What exacly is open source tuning? Is that a software you can buy to tune the WRX ECU? Who sells the cable and such?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    What exacly is open source tuning? Is that a software you can buy to tune the WRX ECU? Who sells the cable and such?
    Open source tuning is free software that members of the community have developed and distributed. You need to build or buy the proper cable. Google "Tactrix" and "RomRaider".

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    One consideration regarding open source tuning, I know of several tuners that won't do it. There is no map protection so in the highly competitive world of tuning not all guys want their little secrets out there for all to see.

In my opinion, the Accessport is probably the best option, everyone supports it, and off the shelf maps are plentiful. if you are not near a tuner most places will build you a custom map and email it to you. These off the shelf maps are really good and can make serious power for a fraction of the price of a custom tune.

As mentioned before the AP does support on the fly map switching. When you marry the AP to your ecu you flash a base map, its hard programmed into the ecu's ROM and wont get lost with a battery cable pull. You can only flash this a limited number of times. The AP also has a realtime map which is loaded into the ecu's current memory. This allows you to switch to a race/valet/low boost map at the drop of the hat without even turning the car off. It works really well, and its unlimited.

The new AP also supports data logging and realtime data viewing so you get a lot for the money.

Post Thanks / Like
    what do you use to perform this on-the-fly AP map switch? Do you need to have a laptop plugged into it? Can you get a wireless smartphone app? Can you wire up a simple switch on the dash (or hidden switch)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oppenheimer View Post
    what do you use to perform this on-the-fly AP map switch? Do you need to have a laptop plugged into it? Can you get a wireless smartphone app? Can you wire up a simple switch on the dash (or hidden switch)?
    i assume you would use the AP tuner itself...
    http://www.cobbtuning.com/AccessPORT-s/70458.htm
    05 Outback XT - DD
    94 Integra GSR - Track Car
    97 Legacy Brighton - EG33 Swap Project
    03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax - Tow Rig
    97 Integra GS - Future Track Car

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StatGSR View Post
    i assume you would use the AP tuner itself...
    http://www.cobbtuning.com/AccessPORT-s/70458.htm
    correct, you plug the AP into your diag port and choose the option for select realtime map. the AP can then be unplugged.

as Evan78 mentioned, it was Ecutek that had a few options for switching maps without a tuner being plugged in but seems to have fallen out of favor.

it also only worked with early model ecus

http://www.ecutek.com/Products/Featu...Switching.aspx
    Last edited by longislandwrx; 08-22-2012 at 07:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Subaru computers are finicky, best bet is to bring it to a tuner and let them deal with it. People open-source tune these for anywhere from $250-500ish. Another route you could take would be the Cobb Accessport but you'd still need to be protuned afterwards, even with just the basic mods it is a safe thing to do. Cobb tends to run their maps a little rich for the "off the shelf maps" since they try to make them for a wide range of "stages"

In New England there are quite a few tuners to talk to, Bren Tuning, Kinetic, Dent Sport are just a few right off the top of my head.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't imagine that if I'm willing to build my own car, I would be too scared to try and tune it myself - after reading and research.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast