Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  34
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Project Lightning Coyote

Post Thanks / Like

Remote Oil Filter and Oil Thermostat

Since I started with a truck Coyote from a junkyard the oil filter adapter was a no go for fitment. Also since the stock oil cooler won't work I thought a remote setup with an oil cooler would be fun to design and install. While I was researching the components I ran across oil thermostats and it seems like there is some sound logic for including one when using an air oil cooler. The main things are apparently to get the oil working at it's designed viscosity which is targeted for a specific temperature and also it help to remove any absorbed moisture out of the oil. I ended up with a unit from Canton racing and it's pretty darn clever. I landed on that unit because I went with the FPP remote oil filter adapter and that uses -12 AN fittings. There weren't many oil thermostat options with -12 fittings so it seemed the natural choice. With some special fittings I was able to marry the filter mount and t-stat as one unit for mounting and I think this location will also make mx pretty easy, but I an seriously considering adding a panel to protect them anything kicking up from the road.

The clearance between filter and cross member is about a half inch which is plenty and the filter is easily accessible from below.

The FFP remote oil adapter is a really nicely build unit and also eliminates the pressure bypass solenoid. And spoiler alert--the block is in for mock-up.

With the block in for mock-up I was able to figure out what fittings I needed and how much -12 hose to order. That should all be here later in the week from summit so next weekend I should be able to get the oil supply and return lines run. I'm holding off on the oil cooler part until the I have the radiator in hand (another big ticket POL item).

The oil cooler will be a -10 size unit. I did this for two reasons. One, -12 oil coolers in the size I need are hard to find for a price I was willing to pay. Two, the t-stat always sends a small amount of oil to the cooler so in my head the path of least resistance will be the -12 lines for the return to the engine so that when the oil is cold most all of it will bypass the cooler. I'm guessing in reality I'll probably never notice anything and hopefully that is a good thing indicating all is working correctly
    Gen 3 Coupe #268 build: Project Lighting Coyote
    Powered by Junkyard F-150 Gen 3 Coyote that may have a Voodoo flat plane crank installed

Post Thanks / Like

Battery Disconnect

I wanted to run a battery disconnect, but I wanted it out of the cockpit and still have the ability to cut power. I considered the solenoid type, but decided against them since there is always power running to the switch that controls the solenoid. I ended up with a push-rod actuated unit from summit. I'll be using a cable pull mounted somewhere within easy reach to disconnect and it will have to be turned back on by hand. Took me forever to settle on the installed location, but I'm happy with where it landed and I think it'll work well with my plans to have power wires (with the exception of the starter) running down the driver's side of the car.

I was just playing with the pushrod for clearance purposes, the cable will get a bracket mounted to the frame and/or splash panel as needed.

A view of the three mounting screws in the wheel well. I promise the abundance of clecos have been removed, I had just finished drilling that panel and also wanted to see what the strength would feel like with the disconnect mounted.

The disconnect is rated at 250A continuous which is probably murderous overkill, but I'm confident it will serve it's purpose well.
    Powered by Junkyard F-150 Gen 3 Coyote that may have a Voodoo flat plane crank installed

3. Likes ken33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Engine Mock Up

Felt like it was time to plunk the block between the frame rails so I could start mocking up some of the other system components like the previously mentioned oil system. It took me longer to find the oil pan bolts (neatly stored in their own little baggy), the timing cover and the alternator kit than it did to actually mount the engine. The harbor freight 2 ton hoist did it's job admirably, although the block with just the crank in it probably only weighs about 150lbs.

Amazing what an engine block does for a project, I may have sat in the car making some engine noises

With the timing cover loosely installed (heads are still out with the machinist for porting and valve job) and alternator in place to facilitate measuring oil lines. I also realized with the the timing cover in place I can check the valve covers for clearance issues too. I was delighted to find out the FPCP PDB is going to fit exactly where I was hoping it would

I also tackled drilling the radiator tunnel. The top panel threw me for a loop since there was no mention of it in the assembly guide (I think of it as more of a guide than a step-by-step manual), but a quick look at the inventory for the panel box fixed that for me quickly.

I'm trying to slowly peck away at the panels that can be drilled with the body on the car (most of the footboxes, rad tunnel, front splash guards, trans tunnel, back wall, seat floors and so on). I feel like spreading out that task makes it a little less tedious. Not bad, but definitely tedious. I thought I was doing really well with the #30 bit I was using, but obviously got over-confident and snapped my first one I've been using ones I got from McMaster that are shortys and 135 degree. They seem to stay sharp quite well and make a very nice clean hole (I guess those are the things you really look for in a drill bit, lol). I shifted my weight while drilling and that's when it snapped, it was cutting just fine prior to my buffoonery. They weren't terribly expensive and are worth it IMO. Thankfully I grabbed two so changed bits and just kept chugging along.

That's it for this slew of updates. More to come after next week's/weekend's garage sessions.

Cheers,
    Patrick

5. Likes ken33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Brake plumbing

Spent a lot of time doing what feels like not a lot, but still forward progress with only a couple little steps back.

Decided I wanted a switch on the parking brake. Had the extra unused switch from the clutch (FPCP for Coyote comes with one) so repurposed it. Took me three tries to get the brackets correct. I guess I was using the measure one cut three times method, lol. It was all small scraps so certainly no loses other than time, but that's part of the fun, right? Since I'll be using a digital dash it'll be easy to integrate a parking brake warning on the screen. Maybe I can idiot proof it as I have a habit of trying to drive when the parking brake is set as I rarely every set it on flat and level surfaces.

Switch closed

Switch Open

Moved on to the brake lines next. Still really enjoying working with the NiCopp material and man did the flares look professional perfect, hopefully they seal up great too!

Even though the rear suspension is still on back order I think it'll get to a rolling chassis very quickly when it does show up and I'm sure that will be quite satisfying.

I did have a little setback with my battery disconnect. When mocking up the oil lines I realized it would be a good idea to throw the water pump on real quick and route the lower boig cool tube and then saw those two things were occupying the same space...oops. No worries, I'm sure I can find another location for the battery disconnect.

Still need one more fitting to finish the oil lines (on the way), a few more fittings for the flex fuel lines (back order from Summit) from the tank to the FPR, then the plumbing will be complete minus the flex line from firewall bulkhead to the fuel rail. That will have to wait for the heads to come back from porting.

Next up is more aluminum panels and then I start playing with wires!

Cheers,
    Patrick

7. Likes ken33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Time flies when you're having fun!

Holy cow! Can't believe I let over a month slip past without posting an update. I had some old friends visit, work picked up a little and some good outdoor wx was too tempting an excuse to get out of the house, lol. Lot's of excuses

Even though I haven't been posting I have been working on the car here and there. Plus most exciting of all...I'm down to one POL part!! The Aston Lemans fuel cap which won't hold anything up for a very long time. There was a slight mixup with the certificate of origin when it was accidentally sent to another Gen 3 coupe owner in El Paso. The gentleman there was kind enough to call me and we both contacted FFR. True to form FFR made it right and even threw in a free T-shirt! Thanks to the FFR crew for holding high customer service standards in these incredibly challenging times, no small task I'm sure!

I'll do multiple postings over the next couple of days with pics, but the summary is: the rear suspension is in, front and rear brakes in, transmission on order from Bowler (thanks to Logan for the recommendation), Coyote computer mounted, started shortening the coyote harness, cockpit aluminum is drilled and fitted, emergency brake in and quite functional, drilled the front hubs for metric studs to match the stock ones from the rear and pressed in new studs.

In Logan's build there is a good bit of discussion about Forgestar's new F14s in the Ultra deep concave profile which will allow custom offsets so no wheel spacers in the rear, yay! The F14 is my second favorite wheel they offer, but the CF5s (my #1) would require wheel spacers and for me, in this case, function trumps form. Yes, I know wheel spacers are perfectly acceptable, I run them on my jeep presently and have had no issues. I just didn't want to run them if I could avoid it. Probably some silly purist thought in my head. I have a fixture I picked up on Amazon to measure for offset and clearance. We'll see how well that works out. Hoping to get those measurements knocked out this weekend so I can get wheels on order.

Also came to the realization I only have 5 major (expensive) parts left to acquire. This is exciting to me as the logistics have felt quite daunting at times. I'm convinced Edwardb is a master at logistics, he makes it look so easy, lol!

1. Wheels and tires
    2. Gas N side pipes
    3. Seats (copying Edwardb's Corbeau's)
    4. QA1 double adjustable coilers and springs
    5. AEM digital dash

Of course the last and probably third biggest expense is body and paint, but thankfully is still quite a ways off. I have a very rough concept in my head, but that evolves as I read everyone else's threads (love the forum!).

Like I said more posts with pics to come in short order.

Cheers,
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Oil Lines

Got the -12 oil lines from the engine remote adapter to the remote oil filter/t-stat assembly complete. Need one more clamp so I can isolate the braided ss line from the aluminum boig tube. The ss would cut the tube like a hot knife through butter.

I still need to mount and plumb the oil cooler and then the oil system will be complete.

On another note, I called Bowler transmission today to get a status on the T56 and they are waiting for the quicktime bell housing to come in, I guess that's another supplier impacted by the rona. Oh well, gives me time to get more small, time eating stuff done.

Post Thanks / Like

Rear Suspension, Front Hub nuts and Brakes

Last week I received three boxes of parts from FF and thankfully one of them had the rear suspension parts and the front hub nuts! It felt really good to get those installed and get the brakes on. Lots of boxes sent out for recycling after that session of work

My organizational skills at their finest

The big brakes do look awesome and the parking brake feels very good, can't wait to give it a test!

Soon (hopefully this weekend) I'll have the wheels measured for offset and ordered. Same goes for the QA1 coilers, I should be able to get those on the way very soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Coyote Computer

I wanted to get the computer out of the engine bay as best I could so went for a firewall mount. It's actually bolted down to the bar that the firewall is fastened to. I'm happy with the installation, but it is driving a lot of wiring work as the harness needs to be dramatically shortened.

I've started in on the Coyote harness and it looks like a mess now, but when it's done it should look very clean. I ended up taking the whole thing apart and now it's organized, just need to finish shortening the wires and and wrap everything back up. I'll probably peck away at that one a little at a time since that work is a bit tedious. I'll do a write up on it once it's finished.

Post Thanks / Like

Cockpit aluminum

The cockpit aluminum is now all fitted and drilled. Biggest aluminum left is the rear hatch stuff, but I feel like I'm somewhere around the 50% mark on drilling aluminum. That might be a little optimistic, lol.

I was doing pretty darn good with my #30 bits, even went through a few welds with them, but got careless again and snapped another. I picked up some cobalt steel ones from McMaster and they really do the trick quite well. They stay sharp no matter how fast I drill and unfortunately I end up breaking them before they dull. All user error, can't blame the equipment.

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    just an observation - on the front suspension - if your A-Arms are torqued and that's why they appear to be able to support the disk and all without any aid? You will want to loosen all the attachment bolts and re-torque them at after ride height is set with weight on the suspension - it appears that you have the "relaxed" state of the bushing at full compression right now.... again only an observation.
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

14. Thanks Snowman thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik W. Treves View Post
    just an observation - on the front suspension - if your A-Arms are torqued and that's why they appear to be able to support the disk and all without any aid? You will want to loosen all the attachment bolts and re-torque them at after ride height is set with weight on the suspension - it appears that you have the "relaxed" state of the bushing at full compression right now.... again only an observation.
    Thanks for the advice! Torquing with weight on the vehicle at ride height makes sense, added to the list

Post Thanks / Like
    Huge fan of your build thread. Your technical knowledge and out of the box approach lend another way to building this car.

17. Thanks Snowman thanked for this post
    Likes Snowman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P100DHG View Post
    Huge fan of your build thread. Your technical knowledge and out of the box approach lend another way to building this car.
    Thanks! Means a lot coming from a guy that leather wrapped his roll bars. I love that touch and can't wait to see it in person!

Post Thanks / Like

Wheels and tires fitment

I wanted to stuff as big a tire as I could under the car, common theme amongst the community, and since I didn't go the Halibrand direction it seemed prudent to try and measure as best I could before committing to anything. I picked up a measuring fixture from amazon for cheap and I think it served it purpose well.

Installed on the rear.

The little tab sticking out just past the fender represents the widest part of the tire, the sidewall. The tread should still be well under the fender at this point.

This is a very poor picture of the typically tire fitment offending cross brace. The nice part about this fixture is the ability if gives in finding clearance issues.

Installed on the front.

It's kinda hard to see, but in this one the red line on the tab sticking past the fender is the farthest outside point of the tire.

The results:

Front will be 305/30R19 on a 19x10 with +20mm offset Forgestar F14 in the Super Deep Concave profile

Rear will be 325/30R19 on a 19x12 with -25mm offset Forgestar F14 in the Ultra Deep Concave profile

Tires are planned to be Continental Extreme Contact Sport.

Huge thanks to Logan for sharing info and being an excellent sounding board. I measured about a dozen times to be sure, checked and re-checked...then checked again and I'm confident in my numbers, again with a huge thanks to Logan.

The fixture is pretty straightforward to use, but it's a little crud in some regards so I just used a tape measure to verify all the measurements. If anyone is interested in using it I'm happy to send it, pay it forward kind of thing. Just PM me for details.

Cheers,
    Patrick

20. Likes P100DHG, Logan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Coilovers, vents, wiring and a conversation with Dabat

Not a ton of note worthy progress since last update, but still plugging away.

Coilovers arrived and I like them quite a bit. I especially like that they can be mounted upside down making the adjustment knobs very easy to access. It's one of the reasons I went with QA1's vs the Koni. Also ride height adjustments shouldn't be too terribly painful either. The only downside of this route is I need to get some new bushings cut for the upper and lower mounts since the bearings on the QA1's are obviously different than the ones supplied in the kit for the Koni's. FYI the QA1 bearing measure exactly 1 inch wide for anyone that's interested in trying them. I don't have the right equipment to make new bushings so I'll order up some Aluminum stock and have a local machine shop cut them for me. Should be a piece of cake.

As P100DHG mentioned in his thread, we were able to meet up the previous weekend. First time I've been able to meet another forum member in person and man Danny is a great guy! Can't wait until Covid stuff is better and we can spend some serious time talking coupe and car stuff. Anyways, Danny offered up some cessna vents a while back and I took him up on the offer. They were a little smaller than I had realized and Danny suggested testing them with the A/C unit so...

They work pretty darn good and I think I can incorporate them into the dash nicely. They do help me understand why airplanes are so expensive as they are...um, how do I put this...highly engineered pieces, lol. I think they are way cool and I'm excited to incorporate them into the project.

The Coyote control pack harness shortening is ongoing and that will definitely consume many hours for me, but as tedious as that work is I find it extremely rewarding. Plus now I know how the whole thing is wired up, lol. In case anyone cares the two high speed can bus wires are spliced from the same wires that lead to the OBDII port so if you use a digital dash connected to the CAN bus either way of connecting it will produce the same results. Electrically they are no different and come from the same source. I'll save the pictures of the harness for one comprehensive write-up. It just looks like a mess right now, controlled chaos at best, LOL!

I did get some other critical components on the way, Gas-N side pipes (to match the headers), Corbeau Evolution X seats, the previously discussed 19 inch Forgestar F14s with custom offsets and no wheel spacers (I'm very excited about this!) and those will be wrapped in Continental Extreme Contact Sports. 325/30 in the rear and 305/30 up front. Final offsets are -25 in the rear for the 19x12 UDC and +14 in the front for the 19x10 SDC. I measured for a +20 up front, but with the wilwood brake clearance they recommended +14 and since they know their wheels best I went with their advice. The 1/4 inch or so difference should be fine up front. These things will definitely fill up the wheel wells! Lead time is 6-8 weeks and that means I should have a rolling chassis by Memorial day so that's the goal I'm driving towards. Wish me luck!

Last update, talked with Jeff Miller yesterday about paint. Yet another awesome member of this builder community and has a great sense of humor. Pretty sure he's the guy I want doing my paint. No idea what color yet, but the goal is to get it to go-kart by labor day and ready for paint shortly after. In the mean time I might actually do some research on paint colors...maybe

That's all for this update.

Cheers,
    Patrick

22. Likes James Morse, P100DHG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

do you want to sell the tire offset fixture?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    I wanted to stuff as big a tire as I could under the car, common theme amongst the community, and since I didn't go the Halibrand direction it seemed prudent to try and measure as best I could before committing to anything. I picked up a measuring fixture from amazon for cheap and I think it served it purpose well.

Installed on the rear.

The little tab sticking out just past the fender represents the widest part of the tire, the sidewall. The tread should still be well under the fender at this point.

This is a very poor picture of the typically tire fitment offending cross brace. The nice part about this fixture is the ability if gives in finding clearance issues.

Installed on the front.

It's kinda hard to see, but in this one the red line on the tab sticking past the fender is the farthest outside point of the tire.

The results:

Front will be 305/30R19 on a 19x10 with +20mm offset Forgestar F14 in the Super Deep Concave profile

Rear will be 325/30R19 on a 19x12 with -25mm offset Forgestar F14 in the Ultra Deep Concave profile

Tires are planned to be Continental Extreme Contact Sport.

Huge thanks to Logan for sharing info and being an excellent sounding board. I measured about a dozen times to be sure, checked and re-checked...then checked again and I'm confident in my numbers, again with a huge thanks to Logan.

The fixture is pretty straightforward to use, but it's a little crud in some regards so I just used a tape measure to verify all the measurements. If anyone is interested in using it I'm happy to send it, pay it forward kind of thing. Just PM me for details.

Cheers,
    Patrick
    would you like to sell your offset tire fixture , i looked on amazon but they are out of them

24. Thanks TheMole thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ken33 View Post
    would you like to sell your offset tire fixture , i looked on amazon but they are out of them
    PM sent

Post Thanks / Like

Coyote FPCP Harness

Since I'm waiting on wheels and tires, transmission and other various bits and pieces to arrive I've been working on little things. Spring has finally arrived and that means weather good enough to start painting a bunch of little brackets (some I made, some kit pieces).

Onc piece that is coming together very nicely is shortening the Coyote computer harness. It's about 90% done since I need the engine and intake mocked up to get the Alternator harness and MAF harness at the length I want them.

I started off by making a bit of mess...

The cool thing, I think, is that once I got the harness all unwrapped I found that many of the wires already had a splice in them. Most of the wires coming off of the PDB are that way and there is a massive gang ground that everything is common to. In a couple cases like the clutch switch, I just ran the ground wire to a frame ground that I made on the frame in the footbox, one less wire in the bundle. Another thing I think I really lucked out on is the length of the O2 sensor wires was basically perfect for where I mounted the computer. That even goes for the offset to the passenger side which is about 6 inches shorter than the O2 lead for the driver's side. As one of my buddies at work always says...even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

The next step is to fish through all of the convoluted tubing I removed and re-wrap everything. The O2 and PDB harness are now all bundled as one which should clean up some of the unwieldy convo snakes running all over the place. I guess this is one of the tradeoffs on running the coyote, gotta put some labor in to get the wiring cleaned up. All in all, I'm very happy with the results.

Unneeded wire...

A couple of other wiring notes. I tried to get terminals for the connectors on the computer, but Ford has that info on LOCKDOWN, lol. Contacted the company that Ford uses for the connectors and they require a notice from Ford before they release any "proprietary" information. This would have made for a super clean harness customization, dang...oh well no one will know the difference once it's all wrapped up.

Since I had to cut some wires, I wired the inertia switch into the ground circuit on the fuel pump relay in the PDB. Completely frees up a relay circuit on the RF harness, which will likely be used for the driving lights (the only ones I'm not converting to LED, I actually like the look of them). I'm also going to let the coyote computer take care of the cooling fan control so there's another relay circuit available for use on the RF harness, not sure what that will be used for yet as I'm not adding a lot of electrical...maybe future expansion.

I will say that after digging into the RF harnesses that I would probably either delete or sell them off if I do another build. I'm not terribly impressed with them. I don't think its a poor quality unit and I totally get why the RF harness is a good solution, but I enjoy designing my own circuits. Since I've already pulled the harness all apart I wouldn't try to unload that on anyone, lol. I'll be making some modifications to the chassis harness setups that hopefully will turn out very clean. I'll save that info for those posts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work customizing that Coyote harness. I don't normally shy away from electrical challenges. But that's one thing I've left alone on my Coyote builds. One thing to check on. You mention using the Coyote cooling fan wire and not using the RF cooling fan circuit and relay. The Factory Five A/C setup uses the RF cooling fan circuit for the trinary switch. One of the Dk Green Fan Thermo Switch wires goes to the trinary switch. When it switches, grounds the wire and runs the cooling fan. So the cooling fan ends up potentially being powered by two different sources depending on the reason. A/C system pressure from the trinary or engine temp from the Coyote PCM. I questioned Factory Five during my build if this was OK and they assured me it was. A season of driving and both work as designed. Maybe it's possible to wire the trinary differently. But something you should look at.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Nice work customizing that Coyote harness. I don't normally shy away from electrical challenges. But that's one thing I've left alone on my Coyote builds. One thing to check on. You mention using the Coyote cooling fan wire and not using the RF cooling fan circuit and relay. The Factory Five A/C setup uses the RF cooling fan circuit for the trinary switch. One of the Dk Green Fan Thermo Switch wires goes to the trinary switch. When it switches, grounds the wire and runs the cooling fan. So the cooling fan ends up potentially being powered by two different sources depending on the reason. A/C system pressure from the trinary or engine temp from the Coyote PCM. I questioned Factory Five during my build if this was OK and they assured me it was. A season of driving and both work as designed. Maybe it's possible to wire the trinary differently. But something you should look at.
    Paul, thanks for the heads up!

My initial thought is to do similar to what I did for the fuel pump relay and inertia switch. I'll have to look closer at how the trinary switch functions, but if I can make it provide a ground to the FPCP PDB cooling fan relay circuit then it would keep cooling fan control with the Coyote computer. Glad I haven't wrapped the harness yet, that would suck to dive back into it again, lol.

If the trinary switch doesn't work that way I'm sure I can figure out another way to make it work that won't be too painful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Patrick,

I completely agree with you about the Ron Francis (RF) chassis harness provided. I can't stand those bulky connectors and frankly don't know why they are needed. Jegs has a nice looking harness I can't speak for the quality but I think it would be a much cleaner install.

I am planning the next build already and what I realized is, the credit FFR gives for deleting some items makes it so it's just not worth deleting that item. I haven't checked what they will give for deleting the wire harness yet but it's one of my biggest gripes. My behind dash wiring on my Coupe could have been 100 times cleaner if it wasn't for those bulky connectors.

-Danny

30. Likes Snowman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tranmission!

Last weekend this little gem showed up...

Ordered from Bowler transmission out of Illinois. It has the wide ratio gears for 1st (2.92), 2nd (2.10) and 3rd (1.46), 4th is direct (as always) and the narrow ratios for 5th (.80) and 6th (.63). They also took care of the bell housing, throwout bearing (Tilton hydro) and the indexing plate to properly check runout. They threw in a shifter and knob of my choosing and not knowing exactly what I needed I made a thumb in the wind guess and got lucky! Shifter feels like it's exactly where it needs to be for my goofy long arms.

Promptly mated it to the engine block and dropped it in the car. It was breeze to instal and once I pull it after I get the rest of the harness sorted out it should only have to be installed one last time.

Paul, if you're reading, the yellow wire on the passenger side is for the trinary switch to activate the ground on the cooling fan relay in the PDB. A quick review of the A/C wiring diagram made this a no-brainer for me. Thanks again for the catch, I had completely forgotten to look at the A/C wiring diagram. I owe you a cold beer (probably multiple) if ever we get the chance to meet.

I will be running the VSS that will be tied into an AEM expansion module to get that signal on the CAN bus for display on the CD7 dash.

Still contemplating how I want to actuate the reverse lockout solenoid. The methods I don't like are brake light switch or the module for low speed. I kind of only want the solenoid to active when it needs to. I've thought about rigging up a switch and lever arrangement on the stick, similar to how daily driver manuals work (lots of work and may look or be shoddy) or another option is a timer relay (activated for a set amount of time) and dash mounted switch within easy finger reach of the shifter. Brainwave...I may repurpose the horn switch in the kit for this purpose (have to make a note of that).

Open to suggestions or criticisms.