Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  8

Thread: 33 Hot Rod above 100 mph

Post Thanks / Like

33 Hot Rod above 100 mph

Does anyone have considerable experience with the 33 above 100 mph? How is the handling? At what point does it start to get squirrely?
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have not yet found the speed that my car gets squirrely but it will take much more than the 1,100 HP I have to find that speed. My car is very stable even with less than 10 PSI in the wrinkle wall slicks at well over 100 MPH.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

3. Thanks HVACMAN thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have made only three passes at the drag strip but 127 mph was not a problem.

5. Thanks HVACMAN thanked for this post
    PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have had a couple 33's I built over 130 with no issues at all.
    16+ FFR kits and counting!

7. Thanks HVACMAN thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve dinged 125 a couple of times on track. It was windy.
    33 Hot Rod #1133. LS/TKO600
    Delivered 6-17-19. Started work 7-3-19. First start 9-6-19. First drive 9-24-19
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

9. Likes RoadRacer, HVACMAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys for the responses. It's good to hear the 33 is a stable platform.
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, above 170 the back end does get a little light. I have 100 lbs. of lead behind the seats and think I will need some more. There is a 30's sedan with a small spoiler on the end of the roof I will be duplicating (photos). Granted, there was conciderable crosswinds the first day. Second day made two better passes, hit 179+mph and it was still moving around a little. Going to try some small cannard(?) wings in front of the rear tires down low. Confident I can make this brick go 200.wing 1.jpgwing 2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Jimmish, look at running a spoiler under the firewall to eliminate as much flow under the car as practical and use a smooth belly pan, that will help eliminate the airplane wing effect creating higher differential pressure under the car. If you look close you can see the one under my car that's made of 1/4" thick rubber that will bend if it hits pavement but stiff enough to push air.

Front Spoiler.jpg

Then I fabricated a rear spoiler that in laminar flow will add 500 lbs of down force at 150 MPH with 40 lbs of drag. Of course that top is preventing laminar flow across the spoiler so I'm guestimating I'm only getting half the down force I would if this was mounted high enough to be in clean air. But the car is rock steady at 150 MPH.

Rear Street Tires.jpg
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

Post Thanks / Like
    Like that thick rubber spoiler under the car. I had one like that on my mid engine Corvair. Is it straight across? Maybe setting it as a V shape to push the air out the sides. The roof spoiler is not so much for downforce, but to disturb the airflow around the car and push the flow up and behind rather than curling around the back of the car. Need some more horsepower but I think I can accomplish that with a different tune and methanol injection. Car was real strong and you can tell it has another 20 mph in it.Maine.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmish View Post
    Like that thick rubber spoiler under the car. I had one like that on my mid engine Corvair. Is it straight across? Maybe setting it as a V shape to push the air out the sides. The roof spoiler is not so much for downforce, but to disturb the airflow around the car and push the flow up and behind rather than curling around the back of the car. Need some more horsepower but I think I can accomplish that with a different tune and methanol injection. Car was real strong and you can tell it has another 20 mph in it.Maine.jpg
    My mid spoiler is straight across the widest part of the front of the car (firewall area) and angled so that it scoops some of the air and directs it to the torque converter for cooling. But most of the air simply gets pushed outward creating a partial void under the car. Angling the rubber also keeps it higher off the road at slow speed when you are more likely to encounter high spots (speed bumps, driveway aprons, etc) but as the wind increases it flexes downward and closer to the road surface.

15. Likes jimmish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now this is a front spoiler....

http://www.factoryfive.com/wp-conten...10/MG_5384.jpg

Wonder if it is still around somewhere?

Post Thanks / Like
    So, here is a video reaching speeds up to 124 over a twisty road. There are some pulls in 3rd and 4th up to 5200 rpm, 25.68 diameter tire, 3.73 rear, 1.00 3rd and .67 4th.

Last edited by wrp; 12-24-2020 at 03:08 PM.

18. Likes Mrallsport32, JimLev, HVACMAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Bill, I'd swear I know that road but not likely because I think you are 4-5 hours north of me. A lot of Texas back roads look the same I guess.
    While you were driving I was watching your Sniper monitor screen and noticed that your max ignition timing never went higher than 29.6 degrees.
    Also under cruise I saw it staying around 20 degrees or so. You are probably giving up a fair amount of horsepower and fuel mileage with those numbers.
    I don't know how much control you have over that with the Sniper system or how your ignition is set up but you might want to look into it.
    I think typical numbers for a small block are around 33- 36 max usually all in by 2500 - 3000 rpm. At cruise ( light load/high vacuum) it is not unusual to see numbers in the high 30's to low 40's. Can make a big difference in your gas mileage.
    Now these numbers will vary somewhat depending on your particular combination and assume running good gas and looking for best performance .
    Anyways, something to think about.

20. Thanks wrp thanked for this post
    Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That was usiing the self learning tune. We have put a better tune on it and locked it now, when I get the car running again I will make another pass. When we tuned after this I picked up 100 whp and 6 mpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I keep waiting for that bug to blow off the windsheild. Must have great suction cups on his feet!

23. Likes JimLev liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cob427sc View Post
    I keep waiting for that bug to blow off the windsheild. Must have great suction cups on his feet!
    He really objected to me using the superglue on his feet. He was insulted