FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tubing size

Post Thanks / Like

Tubing size

My coupe should be on its way soon and I intend to make it a little more of an r model without going full in.
    So I am hoping someone can tell me the tubing diameter of the smaller round tubing from the cage to the rear suspension pickup point. Also trying to find the dimension of the square tubing in the engine compartment area in which the r model has some added triangulation. I hoping to buy the tubing in advance so I can start welding when it arrives. Thanks you in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    The front triangulation is the same size as the adjacent footbox tubes, which is 1” square.

Halo hoop to rear shock mounts are 1” round tubing.

Edit: front correction^
    Last edited by Logan; 11-24-2020 at 09:57 PM.
    Logan's Gen 3 Coupe-R Build
    Ordered 4/23/19 | Delivered 6/29/19 | First Start 8/1/20 | First Drive 9/20/20

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Logan! Steel is on order.
    Did you ever get your wheels ordered? Wanting to see what you end up doing to fit the 335 rear tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    The front triangulation tubes are 1" square (same as adjacent footbox tubing), and connects BETWEEN the 1.5" square tubing. Hopefully my jumping the gun typo didn't mess up your order. You could probably call and revise before they process it, or add some 1" square tube to it. Even if it's already processed, you could get a 6 ft stick of 1" square tubing from Home Depot or local steel supply easily enough.

I have spent a LOT of time organizing data for wheels and tires on Gen 3 Coupes. Personally, (and the reason this is taking me so long) I'm trying to push the limits a bit and put the largest wheel and tire possible under the car, so I have to be exact with my measurements. I learned yesterday/today that a 1" wheel spacer was used with an 11" +15 front wheel on the Logano Coupe-R, which if true tells me there may be room for a 12" wheel in front after all. 12" rear is no problem. I am in a holding pattern until I get the body mounted on my chassis. Would have been nice to order wheels this week (Black Friday sales) but just not comfortable committing to tentative offsets yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    No worries on the square tubing as I can always use for other projects.
    Are you planning on running 335's up front? That would be some serious rubber up front!
    I am only planning on 275's up front which is no problem. You go and blaze the trail and report back.
    I think Gordon levy is trying to stuff some 355's in the rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Happy Thanksgiving!

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed, extra raw materials always come in handy.

I am tentatively planning for 305/315/325 front and 325/335/345 rear. Depends on tire model, which depends on class. Would love to see pictures of gndhog’s car that Gordon Levy is building, with the custom flares to fit 355 rears, but getting him to post pics is like pulling teeth.

Happy Thanksgiving!