Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: 32J's MKIV Build Thread, Project "Serpente"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Uncrating, Removing the Shell, and Positioning the Frame

This is my first ever build so forgive me if this old hat to the experienced folks, but I'd thought I'd share a few things I've learned so far:

1) If your kit comes in a crate, save yourself a $100 and reuse the OSB sheet and lumber to build your body buck.
    20210330_192723.jpg

2) The manual is good, but not 100% accurate. You'll need a lot more than a just 5/8 socket to remove the shell.

3) If crated, the frame rests directly on the deck. You'll likely have to jack-up in order to fit a socket underneath and have enough room to remove the screws holding the shell to the frame.
    IMG_9342.jpg

4) Manual doesn't mention this, but the front body mounts are attached to the frame with front quick jack bolts, but also mounted to the shell by the holes for the turn lights. Be sure to remove them from the shell as well, before lifting the body off the frame. Otherwise you may ding the frame or the powder coating.
    IMG_9349.jpg

5) Wear gloves when handling the fiberglass. I did most of the time, and the one time I didn't a glass fiber stabbed my index finger like a needle.
    IMG_9385.jpg

6) If you have a floor jack, an engine stand, strapping or slings, and some rolling platforms, you should be able to maneuver the frame off the crate deck. (Or, if you have 3 strong buddies just hanging around...)
    IMG_9388.jpg

7) If you have wheel dollies, you can temporarily put your jack stands on them, and then lower the frame off your hoist. You can then roll the frame to your desired spot.
    IMG_9391.jpg
    IMG_9392.jpg

8) Inventory all the boxes and parts, open every bag and little box, inspect, and count everything down to the washer and butt connectors. If you're new to this like me, it's a great way to start getting familiar with all the parts. If you come across something that you can't reconcile to a parts description, take a photo. Also cross-reference against the Parts Order (backorder) List, as not everything that is missing is necessarily captured on that list. As I verified every part, I highlighted the part and quantity in yellow on the parts list. If something was missing and not on the POL, I put a red dot beside it. And if it was something that I want to eventually powder coat, I put a blue dot against it so that I could quickly find it in the pile of boxes when the time comes. Once you inventory everything send a message to FFR (including pics of unidentified parts) and they're really good about getting back to you quick with answers and confirmation.

Whew! What fun weekend that was! Next step is to start removing the mounted panels.

IMG_9396.jpg

Cheers,

32J
    Last edited by 32J; 04-10-2021 at 10:23 AM.

2. Likes zarnold liked this post