Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Factory Five GTM Supercar, fastthings video build log

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fastthings View Post
    Should I buy it a pink pillow to rest on?
    Hey Gene, I was going to write you a private message, but if I ruffled a few feathers I'd like to apologize to you in front of everyone.

I'm only trying to help out a GTM brother, but if you like the pump configured that way, it's all good!

For what it's worth, I'm always looking for tips on body work & paint so don't be a stranger.
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukn4trbl View Post
    Hey Gene, I was going to write you a private message, but if I ruffled a few feathers I'd like to apologize to you in front of everyone.

I'm only trying to help out a GTM brother, but if you like the pump configured that way, it's all good!

For what it's worth, I'm always looking for tips on body work & paint so don't be a stranger.
    Hard to tell from text, huh. Don't worry bro, no problem. I just thought it was pretty funny.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish the madness would stop, I have no buisness adding more debt to my project. But the engine will get an upgrade, I have to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

I found some major stuff after pulling the motor apart, so glad I found them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Youtube has been blocked here for sometime but its working today, I think the last video of your's I seen was way back in the body work. Good to see your making some progress. That engine bay is going to be ..... WOW

Post Thanks / Like
    I just contacted FF about buying a full replacement interior for my GenI and they mentioned that they are not offering replacement Gen2 pieces currently until they work out the production defects. It's a shame to see it lifted like that.
    Dan
    GTM #31
    Twin turbo LSX376, Graziano transaxle
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLAgsgR7nY4

Post Thanks / Like
    Gene
    Give FFR a call, they replaced my interior two times. They said there was a problem with the glue that was used for a while.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    I called last week to see if they would replace mine, for the third time and yes they will. The manufacture has the process fixed and they are just waiting on a shipment from them, then they will replace.
    GTM #370
    Car was completed and I have SOLD my car
    http://edgemansgtm.weebly.com/index.html
    Doing what you like is freedom - liking what you do is happiness
    later,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flotowngtm View Post
    Youtube has been blocked here for sometime but its working today, I think the last video of your's I seen was way back in the body work. Good to see your making some progress. That engine bay is going to be ..... WOW
    Thanks, do you live in a different country?

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I may give them a call. It's just that the last time I complained I felt put out. See here I go, I just better keep my mouth shut.

I should give them a call. Why don't they contact me if they are worried about the quality of the stuff they put out, it's their reputation.
    Here I go again-----mouth shut-----

Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in Afghanistan with the military

Post Thanks / Like
    Gene,

I love the progress you are making on your car. At that pace you will be on the road soon. I'm glad you found those issues in your engine before it was too late. If I was in your shoes I would pull out the rod caps and crank caps and inspect the bearings just to be sure there wasn't any damage done down there. Better safe than sorry since you already have the engine out.

On the interior issue you can take it to an upholster and have the stock covers removed and re-glued with some quality glue. I know this is an FFR issue that should not cost you a cent but, it will solve the issue ASAP. You can also get a quote from the upholster and talk to FFR and see if they would cover the expense. I figure that work should be cheaper than just shipping those two boxes from and to FFR.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your service buddy!!!! Stay safe.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Double "thank you" from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kempo View Post
    Thanks for your service buddy!!!! Stay safe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, I guess your in a different country. Somewhere I would not want to be, so thank you!

I pulled a coulple caps and it's not good, minor marks on the bearings. I will take the short block in and have it all done. Pollish the crank, new bearings, and what ever he thinks about the rings.

near the lil podunk town of Milano (about a hour northeast of Austin) {middle of NOWHERE}
    Post Thanks / Like
    dang... it's been a while since I was able to get caught up on this build....
    I really don't want to grow up... but when I DO, I wanna grow up to be 1/2 as talented as Gene!!!!
    I sooooooooo wish I had the attention to detail that you have... GREAT work...

on your transaxle, I remember you saying you were going with the 4.11 R&P.... what internal gear ratios did you go with???
    I would think dropping the R&P to 4.11 with even the same gearing as a stock vette would still be a 200 mph car... if my calcs are correct at 6000rpm in high gear with a 26" tall tire & 4.11 final would give 225mph....I have played with quite a few of the VW gear boxes (basicly the same as the porsche 4 spd) & with the relative weight of the GTM I think I would want to go with a little taller first & second then a closer 3rd 4th 5th & 6th on a 3.75 r&p... would give a little lower top speed (like 219mph @ 6000rpm in 6th) but would be closer ratio throughout the box & would be a hell of a lot of fun to drive....

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks man

4.11 final drive with 2.21,1.5,1.14,.89,.70
    I will never see 200 miles an hour. I like 0 to 150 as fast as I can. Also I live 10 min from a 2.5 mile road coarse. I will be on the track for fun, the 4.11's should be what I want.

I do have the box in my garage now, it looks nice. I am sending the engine block to a builder to get it pollished up.

near the lil podunk town of Milano (about a hour northeast of Austin) {middle of NOWHERE}
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh... you went with a 5 spd... the 6 speed I was thinking about has about that same gear ratio with a .50 6th gear on top to get the 200+...

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I finnaly got my Mendeola SDR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gene
    SDR?
    How long was it from order to delivery?
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottvette1989 View Post
    Gene
    SDR?
    How long was it from order to delivery?
    Scott
    Lets say 9 months, they claim they are working tward a much shorter time frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mendeola is looking at ramping up stock so that lead times are drastically reduced. This requires a large investment of both space and $$. I have been talking with Ian and Mike and they say that demand for the SDR is picking up so they are looking at possibly stocking all parts on the shelf so it comes down to a matter of assembly time only as opposed to having to wait on an outside vendor for one part or another. This, as far as I know, has been the major sticking point in getting the boxes out in a quick fashion. One of the suppliers seems to ALWAYS have some sort of delay which puts the whole build process on hold. Just part of the deal when working in relatively small volumes of transaxles, but it sounds like things are changing for the better.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    The pieces of the puzzle don't add up. When I pullled the heads off it had felpro gaskets, the guy at the machine shop noticed that one of the oil plugs was not factory, real diry oil. So I don't get it, for a motor that only has 200 miles on it, it sure has been threw alot. None the less, it will be all new in a few short weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gene,
    I have been sifting through some other threads & have seen quite a few folks talking about the tires not centering in the wheel wells once they got the alignment where they wanted it.. I've looked through your build a couple times & have to say your attention to detail is something I wish I could claim but I'm wondering after reading the issues of others, have you checked wheel positioning after alignment??? hope you don't have to start cutting into the body again...

JT

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugly_Old_Cowboy View Post
    Gene,
    I have been sifting through some other threads & have seen quite a few folks talking about the tires not centering in the wheel wells once they got the alignment where they wanted it.. I've looked through your build a couple times & have to say your attention to detail is something I wish I could claim but I'm wondering after reading the issues of others, have you checked wheel positioning after alignment??? hope you don't have to start cutting into the body again...

JT

Lets hope I covered everything. If not, yes, I'll be cutting into it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lets hope I covered everything. If not, yes, I'll be cutting into it.

When I got my kit, that's all I had. And no money to buy any parts. So I started building what I had.

The problems I saw on other threads was the back was kicked over and the front was not a circle. I was able to center the body at the rear, I measured from the suspension mounts to the body in a few key spots. At the front when I put the nose on, I could see what it was not a circle. By mounting the nose higher in the front and lower at the glass, I had to trim the area behind the wheel insteaad of add. And I didn't have to remake a circle out of the hole. Now by doing that it was real tight at the wiper area, but I got that to work in a different way.

So long story short, Ive done collision work all my life. When your turning 200 hours a week I got real good at knowing when the frame, susenion mounts, fenders, is going to fit while it's still mounted to the frame rack. You can't let it set on the ground with the wheels on it to check if it's going to pass. then mount it back up, set up the measureing system, and do another pull. It has to be right. So as I did the bodywork I feel I got it real damn close with what I had, so we'll see. Yes, I would hate to have to cutt into it and redo something, at the end, but that was the chance I took to be able to work on it with no parts. I still don't have all I need to put the body on and check, I'm waiting for some mounts for the rear shock.

Post Thanks / Like
    My motor is done, so back together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Good to see the engine back at home, and done up right! Nice to know you made the effort worthwhile as you found more
    issues hiding inside the motor.
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice motor you got there Gene. I'm glad to see its back in the car. Keep those videos coming.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Oh yeah..............You'll be karting soon.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Ya it's getting there guys. I put in the Mende last night. I need to research a good breather system. I'm going to delete the pcv, I don't want all that oil.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gene the build looks awesome. I can see all of the custom touches you have added. Let me tell you, they are all worth it. Its so nice to have all the special things that make the GTM your own exactly the way you want it.

Boy it sounds like going through the motor was the best outcome. Now you have a well built motor to go with all of the other quality parts on your car.

Looking at your car reminds me of how cool it is to have this giant collection of brand new parts sitting in your garage. I really enjoyed that part of the build. I guess thats why people build kit after kit.

Every part of the process is fun. I cant wait to hear what you think of your first drive.

John
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    John,
    I'm goin to freak out on the first drive. I have zero experience with such a beast, I can't wait.

Post Thanks / Like
    Still putting in the hours.

Post Thanks / Like
    come on Gene.... I NEED a fix....
    seriously dude.... no updates since LAST YEAR!!!!!!! sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugly_Old_Cowboy View Post
    come on Gene.... I NEED a fix....
    seriously dude.... no updates since LAST YEAR!!!!!!! sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh....
    LOL, I get it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gene... sorry, I couldn't resist.... I am hooked on your build log.... I have been through all your videos several times & my girlfriend was in the kitchen last NYE as I was watching through them yet again... (think I was on like # 42 when she said "either he is going to have to get some new material OR you are going to have to hurry up & start on your car, I am about tired of listening to the same videos over & over"... (she is NOT a supporter of me building a car....) I HAD to laugh out loud at her when I played the video you posted that same night... told her she had to stop griping since you posted new material....

Post Thanks / Like
    I am sitting hear laghing at the thought of your poor girlfriend haveing to sit listen to my lame voice over and over again. I can't even stand to listen to myself,LOL. What can I say, I'm not Hollywood material.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am sitting hear laghing at the thought of your poor girlfriend haveing to sit listen to my lame voice over and over again. I can't even stand to listen to myself,LOL. What can I say, I'm not Hollywood material.
    What are you talking about, Gene???!!! You sound EXACTLY like Ben Stein! He's made a pretty good living in Hollywood....

Bueller? Bueller?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhiCFdWeQfA

J/K
    Last edited by Taz Rules; 01-03-2014 at 07:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    you obviously have NOT heard ME speak... I'm a thick tongued Cajun from the swamps of deep south La transplanted to Texas with a drawl from hell... people I have known for years & see on a regular basis have trouble understanding me & quite a few close friends are ALWAYS making fun of my talking.... (think of Sam Elliot with a real southern drawl & a French accent...)

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast