Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Just a Quiet Evening in the Neighborhood......

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Guys & Gals,

I just came back from our first meeting of the Spec Coupe builders, sadly, Karen was not able to be there, so we used Her chassis for Plasma Torch practice.........PSYCH!!

While Karen encourages discussion as to the direction we're headed in, I would like anyone who has the inkling to comment on the plans, to read the two NASA documents below. By reading these two pertinent list of rules and regulations, you'll be able to see why decisions are being made, or not made. I have lately seen heated discussions at the 818 forum, between people who have opinions, but don't even have a car to base opinions and /or direction on. So I'd like this to stay a friendly and courteous exchange of ideas and opinions.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/Super-Touring.pdf

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf

I noted the mention of a Ford Coyote motor, while it's totally in the realm of possibilities, that motor will not be a factor in any of the decisions, as the current 4 Coupes are being constructed(Yes, "Not One Pair, TWO PAIR"). This has more to do with economics, than it does with anything else. The cost of the complete Coyote, vs. a 331 is significant, considering the complex computer system, and the initial cost difference between ready to run motors. The 3 link was selected for simplicity, but is not mandated by the current rules, again, the 3 link performs well, we have tons of set-up information for it, and is less costly than the IRS. That being said, there will continue more development of the IRS for racing applications, so if you have a IRS Coupe, that you may want to make a "Track Car", we will encourage your efforts. We are pressing forward with the mandate of making this cost effective for everyone, and we will stay with the "KISS"(Keep It Simple STUPID!)principle.

As you read through the NASA doc's, ST2 is for all intents and purposes, is a class where your HorsePower is controlled by the weight of the car. You are allowed 1 HP for every 8.70 pounds of car weight, at the max weight for our roll cages, 2,999lbs, you would be allowed 344 HP at the rear wheels. At Karen's target weight of 2490, you would be allowed 286 HP at the rear wheels. So you can see, that the class, with which ever model of car you select(this is for you Roadster guys that want to play with us!), or weight you build to, will be on equal footing when it comes to HP to Weight ratio, the rules also have penalties for better aero, so the "Flying Brick"(Roadster) is still on equal footing.

Some may say that ST1 is an option, but here the game gets expensive. With a Coupe that weighs 2490, to be in the running, we would need to produce 452 HP at the rear wheels(according to John Card's information below, the Coyote will produce about 372, well short of what a lite weight Coupe will need in ST1), a 2999 weight Coupe needs 545 at the wheels, so it gets REALLY expensive to play in that sandbox, with the engines needed to produce that type of HP for 25 hours straight, and not turn into scrap metal on the front stretch! I think you guys get the idea........

Thanks for support of Karen's great work, and let's get more Coupes built for the Track!!

Hank
    Last edited by Hankl; 10-24-2011 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Corrected Dyno Information
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.