Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Road Racing classification

Post Thanks / Like

Road Racing classification

Not sure if it has been discussed on here before, what road race class/category does the 818R fit in? I was looking through the rules of NASA and SCCA to ensure the car conforms to the rules and became a little confused as to what class to run in.

We are very relaxed here locally with breakout times that determine GT1-GT6 categories. Aero stuff is not clearly defined, allowing things like rear wings no higher than 8” above roof line. Race director must be from time attack lol.

Mostly concerned about rear wing rules and placement, canards with below vertical planes to splitter and fire suppression system to name a few.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blu: When Chad ran in a class, he ran the R I now have in NASA ST2. My understanding is that it is a HP/weight class with some other rules. I am not currently wheel to wheel racing, so have not looked into it. The car had all of the aero (wing, canards, splitter, diffuser) and was teched, with a log book.

3. Likes Blu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the NASA rules have changed a bit since Chad ran, but the car would still likely fit best in the ST/TT rule set. ST is for wheel-to-wheel racing and TT is for time trial competition. NASA makes some effort to match the rules here pretty closely. So if you're ST2 compliant, you're good to go in TT2. Going from TT to ST is a bit complicated though, as you need to have the cage for w2w (not a concern for the 818R).

Fire system rules are actually pretty relaxed. You have to have something...but even a hand-held bottle bolted in will pass muster (though not preferred).

Most aero rules in the ST/TT classes are broadly written. You have a plan view to respect (so no front splitter that's more than 8 or 12" past the plan view of the body - don't remember which it is).

One thing: they rewrote the rules to explicitly deny tube-frame cars in the lower classes. So I believe the 818 can only run in ST3/TT3 or higher.
    "Weight transfer is the enemy."

Executive Director
    The Community Garage

5. Thanks Blu thanked for this post
    Likes Blu, Mitch Wright liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    Fire system rules are actually pretty relaxed. You have to have something...but even a hand-held bottle bolted in will pass muster (though not preferred).
    They recently updated the CCR and now you need a SFI or FIA rated fire system for NASA.

I was just looking through since we are getting a Honda Challenge car together and are old FireCharger (non-SFI) system would no longer pass tech. I did find a new FIA system for right around $410. The FIA systems are good for 10 years and SFI is good for 6 years.

7. Thanks Santiago thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NevaLift2Shift View Post
    They recently updated the CCR and now you need a SFI or FIA rated fire system for NASA.
    Well it's about time!

And lesson learned: you really have to read through the most current year's rule set. Also, each class (e.g. Honda Challenge, CMC, ST/TT, etc.) typically has their own sub-set of rules that supersede (or add-on to) the CCR rules. So there's no real generic wheel-to-wheel rules, you have to look at the current series rules to be sure your car will be compliant.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure the 818 would be legal for any other NASA series other than the ST or TT classes...hmmm....

Executive Director
    The Community Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    The ST classes are power to weight plus a few other things. The rules are pretty straight forward and have a easy to use calculator on the NASA site. Depending on power output ST2 or 3 is a easy fit with aero. I built my car for ST2 and would still be very competitive here at NCM based on the times they run here.

Post Thanks / Like
    As already mentioned in NASA the best choice is ST1, ST2, or ST3.
    In SCCA many regions run a catchall class, ITE. Pretty much anything with 4 enclosed wheels can run in it as long as they have all the usual safety stuff. Check your SCCA Region rules to see if they have ITE.
    Where I race in the ICSCC we pretty much mirror the SCCA rules, but not exactly. I don't race in SCCA except our once a year Rose Cup races where both sets of rules are allowed and they do their best to match up similar classes.
    I can race my 818R in ICSCC SPM, but I'm not allowed in our ST classes because tube frame cars are banned in our ST classes.
    We also have special classes to promote endurance racing where we are hoping to pull in some Lucky Dog competitors to our one hour enduro race series. For that we have HP/Wt classing similar to ST classes that are pretty wide open. I can run there and drop down a class by running street tires.

Some of best advice I ever got was from a builder/racer who said never build a car then look for class. Find the class you want to race in then build the car.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator View Post
    Some of best advice I ever got was from a builder/racer who said never build a car then look for class. Find the class you want to race in then build the car.
    I completely agree with that statement.
    At most tracks up here in the north they use bracket racing, based on how fast you want to go is the class you fit in.
    I built the car solely to get back into the fun factor. Chasing championships is not the goal as i want to head south and race on the historic tracks and/or challenging tracks, that is the goal while having fun!
    I have booked VIR in June and may do Lime Rock during the same road trip.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you were chasing championships, the best advice I ever saw was economic, "Find the class you can afford to dominate, then build the car." Too often we forget just how costly it is to stay at the tip of the spear. A competition budget can easily equal the cost of the car even in the amateur ranks.

Having fun is way less expensive. =)

Executive Director
    The Community Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    If you were chasing championships, the best advice I ever saw was economic, "Find the class you can afford to dominate, then build the car." Too often we forget just how costly it is to stay at the tip of the spear. A competition budget can easily equal the cost of the car even in the amateur ranks.

Having fun is way less expensive. =)
    Well said.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    Of course I didn't find this thread until I posted a similar question.

I'm interested in knowing if an 818r would be usable in any road racing series (endurance or sprint racing).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tfriest View Post
    Of course I didn't find this thread until I posted a similar question.

I'm interested in knowing if an 818r would be usable in any road racing series (endurance or sprint racing).
    NASA: SU, ST-1, 2, or 3. Build dependent.
    NASA Endurance Series. ESR, ES, E0, E1. The same classes as above, mostly.
    NASA TREC Endurance Racing, their take on Lucky Dog, Lemons, Champ Car. If you are too fast they will hammer you. Don't build a 400 HP 818 and expect to be welcome here.

SCCA: In some Regions the 818 fits in ITE, in other regions it's not allowed. The differences being the tube frame chassis. In North Carolina it's fine, in Oregon it's not. I've never found another SCCA class it fits in.

ICSCC: SPM for sprints, and in SPM, P0 - P1 for endurance races.

The 818R is not allowed in Lucky Dog, I asked the tech director. I think most of the other endurance series also ban tube frame cars.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer